“A Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Myeongdong

You added The Grand Hotel Myeongdong to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Myeongdong
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   38, Myeongdong 8ga-gil, Jung-gu, Seoul 100-861, South Korea (Myeongdong / Namdaemun)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #13 of 409 Hotels in Seoul
Florida
“A Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Located on 1 end of the busy Myeongdong district, very close to the subway entrance (Blue line 4, exit 10). A great place to stay if you intend to make Myeongdong your base and move around Seoul. Airport shuttle drop off point is just 1 min walk away. When you get off from the shuttle, with your back to the main road, take the little alley on your left, short walk to the end of the alley to see a 7-11, The Grand is a couple of doors on your left. The Hotel itself is a no frill hotel, but clean and with friendly staff. The rooms are not large but not too cramp either and it has free Wifi. I would stay in it again because it was value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TheGrandMyeongdong, PR 매니저 at The Grand Hotel Myeongdong, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear CarrSo,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! Since our ultimate goal is to make our guests happy and comfortable, we are very glad to hear that you found our service and room enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

The Grand Hotel Myeongdong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have stayed on Jun 19-23, 2013 and I can say my family members are all satisfied with the hotel!
I think “GRAND” can stand for:Great Location,Reasonable price,New hotel,Accessibility & Delicate furnishing!

• Stayed June 2013
TheGrandMyeongdong, PR 매니저 at The Grand Hotel Myeongdong, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Jeremykymak,

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We really love how you used our name GRAND in your review. Fantastic! Please let us know the next time you travel to Seoul as we would like to make your second stay as memorable as first.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

A new hotel with kind staffs! The staffs at the hotel are willing to help you with anything. Every time I asked them for directions or recommendations on different places from historical sites to restaurants, they were able to answer very well. They always printed out with directions in English, so I could understand with no problem. I could see them smiling every time and on the day of check-out, they even helped us carry our luggage to the bus stop. Thumbs up!!!

It is a new hotel with nice decorations, also very close to subway station and bus stop, about 2 minutes walking. My partner and I just loved this place! It was very nice to see a bathtub in the bathroom also. At breakfast, there weren't so many dishes compared to large hotels like marriot but all the dishes were high quality and delicious.

I have been changing hotel every time I visit Seoul but from the next time, I will only stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandMyeongdong, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel Myeongdong, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear kingandc,

It is so wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words. Please let us know the next time you travel to Seoul. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I booked it without the backing of the online reviews.

Pros: 1.The hotel location is great. The hotel front is not on the main road, but It opens into an alley road, right into the Myeongdong busy shopping area. Lots of great places to eat and shop as soon as you step out of the hotel door.
2.Close to airport shuttle and subway station......very convenient....The staff even helped us with the luggage to the shuttle...thumbs up.
3. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Their english speaking skills are rather limited but they understand english and do their best to help. Speaking slowly with hand gestures aids in communication.
4. Rooms are small by the American standards, but clean and nicely decorated. Complimentary toiletries are of good quality.
4. Helpful extras- like loaning multiway plugs and weighing scale for the luggage to international customers,
5. Quick response on facebook to the queries.
6. Held my luggage when I took a day trip out of Seoul.

Cons: 1.Only one elevator... and it smells like sewer. Need to fix that
2. Breakfast not included, though they have teas and coffee in the lobby.
3. No paper towels or hand drier in the lobby bathroom!!
4. No website yet.
5. Could offer something fun for kids....may be a small toy, souvenir to make them feel special

Hiccups: 1. I stayed for 8 days in total (2 stays 6 + 2 days)..... spanning over 10 days. On my second trip, I asked them for complimentary breakfast (for at least one day) as an incentive to a returning customer spending 8 nights in the hotel. The hotel staff were reluctant at first but then, the night before my departure gave me a coupon to a nearby restaurant .... that opened at 11 AM. I had to leave for the airport at 10 AM, so this offer was no use to us at all. Wish they were quicker in responding to the request and given what we asked for. It would have been so much more convenient to be able to eat breakfast at the hotel on the day one is checking out for international departure
2. They do not offer any receipt for your stay!!! On the check out, when we requested a receipt, the staff appeared very confused...... and said that since the booking was made through the travel agency, they will not be able to give me a receipt of my stay!! I have travelled all over the world and made bookings from several travel websites but never encountered this situation. On checkout I have always been given a paper or electronic copy of the receipt. Most hotels will just slip a paper copy under the door on the morning of checkout and or email it. They need to fix it. Finally they gave me a piece of paper that does not match my booking details!!

Overall good and comfortable stay in a boutique hotel. Its a new property and they seem to be learning the business. If there were no hiccups I would have given 5 stars. I will stay there in future only after I am assured that I will get a proper receipt and will be appreciated some for my loyalty.

Room Tip: can ask for high floor and front facing room that overlooks the alley. No blaring sirens in the stre...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Archana2010,

Thank you for such a thorough review! Detailed feedback like yours is so crucial to training our staff. We are glad that you enjoyed our services listed on the Pros, whereas we feel the need for improvement on the services listed on the Cons and hiccups; we just relayed your comments to our upper management and we promise we will do our best to improve them. We hope to welcome you again during your next visit to Seoul.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I booked into this hotel this week when I could not get a booking at Hotel Prince across the road. Thank God for this as I discovered that this hotel is just the right hotel to stay in.
Pluses are
1. 1 min walk to Airport bus terminal and 5 mins to the subway and city tour buses.
2. newly renovated rooms
3. All the little things; nice shampoo, shower gel, comb, great tea bags, safe, fluffy towels, free water bottles.
4. Nice comfy bed, I slept so well.
5. Right on Myeongdong shopping street but nice and quiet in the room.
6. Being a smaller hotel, no queues on lifts at any time.
7. Very friendly staffs.
8. Best toilet bowl I have ever seen; automated flushing and heated seat, bidet function and drying at the touch of a button. I want one now.
Minuses are
1. Slightly smaller room but it was big enough for me.

I'll stay next time I'm there.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
TheGrandMyeongdong, PR 매니저 at The Grand Hotel Myeongdong, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear cheemengtham,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you so much for your kind comments and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

A very brand new hotel that opened in Feb 2013, we stayed here last weekend on our short holiday break in Seoul.

Location:
A fantastic location to stay in, if you are looking to shop in trendy and hip Myeong-dong, with lots of food, restaurant, cafes, local Korean food all around and within walking distance. The metro is just a couple of minutes walk (Myeong-dong metro), coming out of exit 10. Just remember to walk about 10-20m after exit and turn right to the alley, then left, and the hotel is just there!

Hotel:
Reception during check-in could have been better, as the front desk girl was not able to find our booking, despite me having the booking reference. Then it was looking at my passport, and giving me a room that was not in my name, and then room type was different from what I booked! Finally, it all got settled and we got our room, or so we though! However, within 5 mins of getting into the room, the same lady came up and told us its not the right room!!!!! The booking name was not mine, but the room type was correct. It did get sorted out, but the check-in experience was not great!

In addition, it was supposed to be a birthday celebration trip, which the hotel was made aware via email correspondence. The hotel did say they will do the best and give us the best room, but on checking in, there was nothing special, and the room was still the same type. Usually I do get some form of special treatment, either an upgrade or wine etc, but I was surprise to find nothing, despite what the hotel has said.

Room wise, its the usual small size Korean type, and as we took the deluxe, it was bigger. Amenties, decorations and cleanliness was very good.

It would have got an excellence rating from me, but for the check-in experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandMyeongdong, PR 매니저 at The Grand Hotel Myeongdong, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear oliviertan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share details of your stay with us.

Because we believe our success depends on ensuring our guests enjoy a memorable stay with us, we are very sorry to hear that the check-in service provided by our staff wasn't smooth enough. We also apologize for not being able to make your birthday more wonderful. I just relayed your feedback to the reception.

Please let us know the next time you travel to Seoul as we would like to make up for our mistakes.
We promise that special service will be provided.

Suva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

When I booked this hotel there was no review in the TripAdvisor I was little worried to book this but review from Booking.com was encouraged me to book.
This hotel is a very new hotel and centrally located, right in the heart of Myeongdong.
Check in was very smooth they were very helpful
Hotel room- I must say the room is little small (not small as Hong Kong or China)but it has a private closet to keep baggage. Room was very smoothly decorated
Bathroom Toilet - Excellent and very clean.
Heating and AC was good
Staff speaks very little English but always with smiling face
Reception staff were extremely nice. Just to mention two incident among many.
When we were about to go out for a walk it was raining they came running and offered umbrellas to take out(it may be small but very timing and kind gesture)
I asked details of the city tour a girl (I heard her name as Kim) she prepared the entire details got it printed it out and gave it to me .
The only short coming I felt is the staff couldn't communicate in English

Room Tip: Better ask for a room facing the roadside which will have some good view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
TheGrandMyeongdong, PR 매니저 at The Grand Hotel Myeongdong, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Aadhes,

We are elated to hear that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff! Thank you very much for your positive feedback. All our staff are working very hard to improve their English skills; we promise that it will get better. We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back soon.

The Grand Hotel Myeongdong

Been to The Grand Hotel Myeongdong? Share your experiences!