“Value-for-money, no-frills, strategic & easy access to subway/bus stop, frienfly & helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of City Hostel Korea

City Hostel Korea
You added City Hostel Korea to your Saves list
City Hostel Korea
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   242-45 Gongdeok-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea   |
Ranked #193 of 332 Specialty Lodging in Seoul
Tangerang, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

About 5 minutes walk from Airport Limousine Bus stop and less than 10 mins walk from Gongdeok subway station (where 2 lines and the AREX line meet), this property offers strategic and easy access to Hongdae, Sinchon, Edae, and reasonable distance and ease to Namsan and Myeongdong, but away from the touristic hustle and bustle of said areas. Many restaurants, convenience stores, coffee shops in the surrounding area.

Spartan room space and facility, this is a value-for-money find, no-frills budget accommodation. You get what you pay for.

While the room lack in space and facilities, the hostel owner (Leo) and receptionist/inn-keeper (Shin) compensate in friendliness, helpfulness, and generosity. Leo speak good English and Shin passable (but definitely better than the average Korean). Whatever your requests are, they will find a way to make it happen. They provide great advice on how to get to places, where to eat, even searching the internet and making phone calls to a music store to find CDs of K-indie artists that we were looking for.

Modest (but all-you-can-eat) breakfast of bread, butter, jam, milk, cereal, coffee and tea was enough for us. With so many delicacies to try while in Seoul, we prefer to eat outside as often as we could anyway. Water (hot and cold) dispenser was available in the tiny breakfast area.

PROS:
- Location, near Airport Limousine Bus stop & subway station, lots of restaurant/cafe/convenience store
- Hot water was aplenty
- Ondol (floor heating) provided adequate warmth
- Free of charge luggage storage
- Friendly, helpful, English-speaking staff
- Towels (bath & hair) changed daily
- Wifi was fast and stable
- Quiet surrounding, perfect for a good night's sleep

CONS:
- Bed linens were not changed daily, some dusty spots in the room
- Windows have no view (blocked by another building)
- Hot water took almost a minute to get hot, water pressure a bit weak
- Washing machine had no dryer, had to use washing line & laundry clips (provided)

Room Tip: The double room provided the privacy that we need.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Thai first
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

But unfortunately, I did not get to experience Leo's hospitality. Shortly after booking through Agoda, I was contacted by Leo and told that the hostel was overbooked and to please cancel my booking. Unfortunately, the terms were so that if I cancelled, I'd lose a $15 processing fee. I told him this and asked him to take care of it through Agoda. I also suggested that he could put us up in another hotel in the area, since we would like to stay in the vicinity. I waited two day with no response, so I called Agoda and told them the problem. They called the hostel and got it sorted out for me very quickly. Good service on Agoda's part.

It would've been nice to stay here, since the hotel is right off the AREX, and I read good reviews on Agoda.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here for one night. A cute little place that was perfectly suited to my needs.

Close to subway and lots of restaurants close by.

Room was clean; hot water plentiful; wifi fast.

The most amazing part was how helpful the owner was. I arrived late on a Friday afternoon and needed a electric converter so I could plug my laptop into the electric socket - I was quite low on power after the long flight. The hostel had a few converters but they were all being used by other guests at the time. I asked if there was a store nearby where I could purchase one. Instead, without a moment's notice, the owner drove me in his vehicle to the local appliance store so we could get another converter.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to City Hostel Korea? Share your experiences!