“Don't stay here in the summer months” 2 of 5 stars

You added Nine Tree Hotel Myeong-dong to your Saves list
Nine Tree Hotel Myeong-dong
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   51, Myeongdong 10-gil, Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #30 of 387 hotels in Seoul
Hong Kong, China
“Don't stay here in the summer months”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 6 nights for business and wished that I had picked another hotel on the first night. Because they ran out of deluxe double when I booked, I went with a standard double. Had zero sleep on the first night and paid extra to upgrade to deluxe twin on a higher level for the rest of my stay, but that didn't help.

Here are the reasons why you should not stay here, especially during the summer months :

1. I corresponded by emails with the hotel reservation desk way before the deadline for 100 percent refund (I booked through booking.com). The hotel promised to give me a quite room on a high level. I praised about the responsivesness of the hotel before my friend who is also staying in this hotel during the same period. She thereafter also requested for similar requirements. The hotel was at first unable to confirm that with her (I assume that has to do with availability and prior promises like the one made to me), But the hotel later confirmed with my friend that they will be able to meet her request. Surprise suprise - on the day of our check-in, my friend and I actually arrived at the same time (and together) - I spoke to a hotel staff first and I was told that I was given a very low level room and my friend was given a high level one. I emphasized many times that I am sensitive to noise and need a high level and quiet room. Actually my friend isn't sensitive to noise (I have travelled with her before). So conclusion - don't believe in the hotel - not a word they say and whatever effort you go through in advance will not pay off.

2. I upgraded to another room the next night by paying extra. As I am in conferences all week and have early start, I asked the hotel if they could arrange for someone to move my pre-packed luggage from my existing room to my new room once te existing guest checks out of my new room. This is so that they won't give my new room to another customer at their own whim! Surprise, surprise - they say they don't have this kind of service.

3. The standard double is awfully small! I have never been to a room this small and i frequent European hotels. You cannot even open your luggage on the floor which is awfully inconvenient if you have those luggages that need such a space.

4. Both the standard and deluxe double have the same problem - the noise of the air con and how it blows towards your head. I have never had such an awful experience. The air con is so-called temperature sensored. So it turns off when the room temperature reaches the specified temperature. So it turns on and off by itself. The main problem is that whenever it turns on/off, there is a mechanical part which moves and opens and closes the air vent, creating a huge noise. So, basically throughout the night , it moves unexpectedly and creates it huge noise. I called the hotel technician at 2:30am one night and could not get it to even turn off completely! He told me to specify a higher desired temperature eg 28 degC and it will stop. Even then that didn't help because when the room temperature got to 29 degC (after the air con turns itself off), the air con turns itself on again....so you can't win, even if you are willing to accept a boiling hot room. Opening the windows is not really am option cause it is really noisy outside - you are in myeongdong after all!

4. There are much better places to shop (eg sinsa / garogusil) and there is absolutely no need to stay in myeongdong: the food here is also not as nice as sinsa. So the only thing that I bought here in myeongdong was the cosmetics which are available anywhere in Seoul really eg insadong.

The only good things I can say about this hotel are:

1. It is pretty new and clean

2. Breakfast is good - like the congee when it is the lady (rather than a guy) who is making it.

3. Close to myeongdong station, but myeongdong isn't along one of the most accessible lines for traveling to sights.

I would not return here, especially for the price I paid (over usd190 per night for a deluxe twin) and the lack of sleep I suffered from for 6 nights! I didn't even really have the energy for work or for enjoying the city!

Stay far far away! (For some reason this was given the top rating in a guide book - which is partly why I chose it - but I seriously doubt the usefulness of that guidebook (shiny cover and very popular) after this experience! In fact, other restaurants I tried suggested by that guide book are also disappointing.....

• Stayed July 2013
NineTree, 프론트 매니저 at Nine Tree Hotel Myeong-dong, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Warmest greeting from Nine Tree hotel Myeong-dong!

Dear Ms. Amy

First of all, to express our deep gratitude to your staying, and also we appreciate a lot for you to dedicate your time to bring this matter to our attention.

However, we sincerely apologize that we couldn't live up to your expectation during the stay with us.

We must tell you that we never overlook even the slightest input from our customers. Your complaint about the irresponsible and unskilled service by our check in agent at the front desk has been thoroughly reviewed and investigated. We note with appreciation your genuine interest in the growth of our hotel and must assure you that we are more than opened hearted to welcome a sting of advice from you since we know well it will, in a large measure, help us improve our service.

Hence, we will not attempt to conceal any shortcomings of our staff involved that must have been apparent in your stay.

However. The investigation launched immediately after receipt of your letter of on the day reveals the following facts which in minor way run contrary to your experience on your stay. We surrender them for your kind review.

At first, it was to be regret that we were unable to accommodate you more better room and on high floor as you wished.

The golden rule in our hotel is to serve every customer with same dignity and respect. However we were faced to almost fully booked and had only few rooms left at that moment when you arrived.

Nevertheless, we are having some plans to change our room types and expect to secure more than 11 single bed rooms. I believe that we can meet your expectation after the change.

Secondly, As always, we have been doing our outmost for customer satisfaction, and yet sometimes our service didn't match up to the guest's expectation as you have already experienced.

Nine Tree hotel opened since last year Dec as a comfortable, cheerful, credible hotel and now we became to one of major place as a middle class hotel in Seoul.

Even though, we always trying to provide much more services to our guests but we must remind you that Nine Tree is one of business hotel which is providing limited services not the deluxe one.

Still and all, we will continue to improve our services and we promise that we will not stop to make an effort for our customers.

Finally, it was also to be regret that you couldn't satisfied our facilities.

As a newly opened hotel, we still have few things to be improved which is including air-conditioning. Even though there is no other problems on our facilities, but we think we need to accumulate some more experience to operate the hotel facility well. There is saying that nothing is perfect and even the most advanced technology today is only close to perfection .

We know that few patrons of a top class hotel can be led to expect anything other than luxury service, and also we know the only way to give our customers the best possible service is to listen carefully to what they say. We always try to encourage our customers to inform us such matters that displease them and disgrace reputation.

Thank you.

Best Regards.

324 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel is centrally situated in the popular Myeongdong shopping district and less than five mins walking distance from the subway station. There are lots of restaurants, cosmetics & skincare product stores, clothing stores, coffee places, cat/dog cafés and pushcart vendors in the area. It's really perfect for people who love to shop. Also, there is a Family Mart opposite the hotel (for drinks & snacks) and a Coffee Bean (for coffee, croissants, breakfast) right next to the hotel.

The easiest way to the Nine Tree Hotel from Incheon Airport is to take the limousine bus #6015 (₩10,000 one way). It takes about an hour from the airport to downtown Seoul. Get off at the Sejong Hotel, which is a couple of minutes walk from the nine Tree hotel. When going back to Incheon airport make sure to get there well in advance as there can be long lines for the limousine bus to Incheon.

The main lobby is on the third floor, and they have English speaking staff. The hotel also has a self service lounge with laundry facilities on the 11th floor.

A few notes though. We had booked a non-smooking room with a double bed, but upon arrival we were assigned a smoking room. The hotel staff were friendly though and quickly gave us another room, however, a smaller one with two single beds. The room itself was rather small, but functional (think minimalistic). Also they provide nine types of pillows to choose from. But for some reason we were never given this option? Also, there are no utility kits ect. We got two bottles of water on our first day. That was it.

As another guest noted, the bathroom is separated by transparent glass, which can be a bit too intimate, if you are not travelling as a couple.

All in all: great location and a good hotel. Would give it 3,5. Definitely better than the Ibis hotel (in the same area), which we stayed at prior to the Nine Tree.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
NineTreeSeoul1, 제너럴 매니저 at Nine Tree Hotel Myeong-dong, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
We are pleased to receive your meaningful comments on Nine Tree Hotel.
All our staffs try to the best of our abilities to provide for our customers’ satisfaction.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I just stayed in Nine Tree during June 22-25. The location is very good - within Myeong Dong for shopping convenience and only 2 minutes to exit #8 of Myeong Dong metro station. Rooms are very clean, small but acceptable (twin). Staff are efficient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Cozy boutique style hotel, excellent location @ Myeong-dong shopping district, 2 minute walk to MRT station, 5 minute walk to airport shuttle bus stand. To shopaholics, you must stay in this hotel, Myeong-dong is just a the "downstairs" of the hotel, restaurants, cafes are nearby.

The only thing I am a bit disappointed was, they air-con blasted cold air straight to the bed, and there were sound of noise, cold and noisy.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for staying with Nine Tree Hotel.
We are truly grateful for your valuable time in reviewing Nine Tree Hotel and we appreciate your precious advice and would like to ask you to please understand that we feel very unfortunate as well.
All our staffs will do our best to provide more customers’ satisfaction and to maintain best quality service.
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed at Nine Tree Hotel for four days in mid-May, this hotel has a great location, located at the shopping area, Myeong-dong and few minutes from the metro station. The staff is helpful and friendly, the room is clean and comfortable. I will stay at Nine Tree Hotel again when I visit Seoul in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Location is the best, but rooms are very small.
Unless you ONLY have a cabin size trolley for luggage, do not book a double room or you will end up sleeping with your suitcases. There is not enough room to keep, let alone open your luggage.

But you cannot go wrong location-wise – some attractions are walking distance from the hotel. Myeongdong station is one minute by foot, Seoul station just a couple of stops, Chungmuro just one stop.
Step out of the hotel and you will get dizzy with the flood of retail and cosmetic shops and restaurants! Plus sidewalk vendors of name it they have it stuff!

Very courteous staff but limited English. Free Wi-fi througout the hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Because of it good reputation, we chose this hotel for our 8 days 7 nights Seoul trip this May.

The location is great, located near centre Myeong Dong, great accessibility to restaurants and shops, and 2 Metro stations nearby.

We stayed in a triple room on the 5th floor , but the room is too small. Only one chair is provided in the room, if we all wanted to use the desk and chair at the same time, problems occur. "Traffic congestion" always occur due to narrow "main road" in our room.

When I slept, bad odour always being smelled, I think it was coming out from the pillow.

The room temperature is either too hot or too cold. And the cold air coming out from the air conditioner is directly reached to your head which made us didn't sleet well for the whole stay.

• Stayed May 2013
NineTreeHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Nine Tree Hotel Myeong-dong, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
This is Nine Tree Hotel.

Thank you for your comment of our hotel.
We are really sorry about inconvenience and we will really try to provide best service next time. Thank you so much.

Been to Nine Tree Hotel Myeong-dong? Share your experiences!