“Nice hotel, good location, not much ventilation /air though. ” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel The Designers

Save Saved
You added Hotel The Designers to your Saves list
Hotel The Designers
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   144-7 Samseong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea   |
Ranked #94 of 392 hotels in Seoul
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, good location, not much ventilation /air though. ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Hotel was nice looking and in good location, friendly and relatively quiet (back) street, close to 7 eleven and tube station and restaurants/ cafés. Room not large but totally fine, bathroom door is only an opaque glass pane though, and the shower and toilet are quite compact. Also had a funky smell in the bathroom which was difficult to air out because of only one small window. Bed was comfy, design cool, and overall it was a good place to stay. Would probably try something new rather than return there though.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Powell, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Just a 5 block walk from the COEX venue, the Designers offers a unique set of rooms, each with its own artful theme. My room - a single suite named "Self Expression" - was warm and bright with ample space. The technology was quite welcome - reliable free WiFi, remote control for all lights, climate control and the large flat screen TV, washlet toilet with heated seat. The tub was large and inviting, but I enjoyed the rain-like experience in the glass-walled shower (also providing a handheld wand). Among the hundreds of Korean channels, one could always find a selection of English movies, TV series and news broadcasts. The mini-fridge was stocked with free bottled water. Tea bags, tea set and water heater were also provided. The bed was large and comfortable (on the hard side which is fine for me) and the linen and towels were always clean and fresh.
A breakfast buffet is available for 15000 yon - a selection including coffee, juice bacon, eggs, sausage, vegetables, cereal and milk and bread. It was fine, but I generally had breakfast at one of many possibilities on the way to the COEX or at the COEX itself for less.
I arrived in Korea late evening and boarded a airport bus from Incheon that stopped at the COEX/Samsung metro station. I recommend printing a Google map to navigate your way to the hotel this first time. The staff is competent and friendly. The Designers is a good value for the area and I would happily stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Other that showing confusing directions on their website about how to get to the hotel (there are two Desidners in Seoul, far a part from each other) my stay at Hotel The Designers was more than good. Excellent the courtesy, availability and promptness of the personnel. The location is excellent to attend events at the 5 min walk massive conference centre coex, within the business district of Seoul, and close to metro stops for sightseeing. The design of the hotel and the room I've been is a bit pretentious, mostly rather nice, mostly elegant, all of good and high-tech quality. The glitches: the windows of the rooms are all tinted, you can get light in only by opening the room, which was bad to get over the jet-lag. A movement-induced light at the entrance of the room, which I never managed to set off. Other than that, very good quality overall, free water in the room, and excellent price (140kWon) considering the location and much better than neighbouring hotels. I would likely go back, if I had to come back to Seoul.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Cernusco, Lombardia, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I would say that the hotel is comparable to many European 4 stars hotels in big cities, I was here for a conference in coex. Most of the hotels recommended by the organizer asked for about 160euro a night, while this one was only 80.

The staff was extremely fluent in English, the rooms all new and nicely furnished. Also large enough.
Therefore I would really recommend it if you are looking for this quality range and you are asked a similar price.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

These guys tried to do something different. The room designs look good, but they are not practical. My room had an oversized bathtub in the corner, which took a lot of space. It made it difficult to walk around the room, let alone sit down at a desk. Closet too small. Maybe other rooms are better design.

I liked the lighting control. It took me forever to figure out that the AC controls were on the TV remote!

The location is hard to find, it is nestled among a row of "love motels", but the location is fine. There are a few coffes shops around and it is a 5-minute walt to KALT, where you can check in for your flight and take the non-stop bus to the airport.

I liked the staff. The lady who checked me in was extremely helpful and polite and spoke English very well. Everything else was fine, AC, plugs, WIfi, toilet, shower....

Overall I would give it a 3.5. Had the room space been designed better it would have been a 4.5 as the value for money is great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We don't want to stay at those chained hotels, so were attracted to the unique and stylish theme.

When we booked the suite double, the picture showed on hotel.com was Room 906, when we arrived at the front desk, they assigned us to a room with messy theme and said we did not appoin the theme room when we booked, it took us quite a whle to "debate" with them in order to stay at the theme room we wanted to but we could only stay for a night since other customers appointed that one during booked. It is a good thing to u since Room 906 is quite small and the lighting made us a bit spaced-out. We moved to Room 505 on second night and it is even bigger and more comfortable. I suggest taking Suite Twin

The hotel is not easy to find since it was located at an alley, I suggest taking off from Samseong Metro Station, the road is smoother.

The area is commercial centre, if you want to go shopping and want to feel the hectic of Seoul, I suggest picking hotels at Dongdaemun/ Myeong Dong.

If you prefer a better sleeping quality instead of room decoration/ design, think twice before you click confirm.

Room Tip: Ensure you did appoint the room on the remark when book
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with a couple of friends for a short trip to Seoul. I was in Seoul two weeks ago and stayed at a different boutique hotel in the Yeoksam area and it was obvious that I was making comparison.

Hotel the Designer was a very unique hotel in that all the rooms have their own design and none of the rooms would be the same. They offer quite different styles from more contemporary to more chic. We booked ourselves in a suite and the rooms were not too spacious but understandable in hotels for big cities. We had a queen size bed and a twin bed that could sleep the 3 of us comfortably. All the rooms have free WiFi which is a good thing.

We were offered to choose from 3 different rooms when we checked in by looking at pictures on their iPad. My word of advice here is probably ask if you could go look at the rooms in person. We chose one that looked quite cool in the photos but turned out the room was way too dark and lights are quite dim.

We didn't use much of their facilities but we saw that there were complimentary bike rentals at the hotel for guests to use which is quite thoughtful. There is also a small coffee shop just next to the lobby with a small outside area that is quite relaxing but there aren't much to see as the hotel entrance is in an small alley facing parking entrance of nearby buildings.

The hotel is located in between Samsung Station and Seolleung Station. Walking to either station would take about 10-15 minutes. If you are looking to do a lot of local travelling on the metro then you would have to take this into account. On our way to the hotel from the airport there are basically two choices for airport bus. 6006 for the cheaper airport bus where you get off at the COEX and walk about 20 minutes to the hotel or 6704 for the KAL limousine and get off at the ibis Gangnam hotel and walk for 10 minutes.

There aren't a lot of restaurant choices nearby the hotel. There are a few Korean restaurants around the block but are only mediocre in my opinion. My last stay in Seoul I had much better restaurants choices just minutes away from the hotel. The prices for a night is relatively cheap but you could have gotten yourself a slightly better location for slightly more.

All in all the hotel is good but my criticism for it is its location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel The Designers? Share your experiences!