“Clean, very conveniently located, courtesy, good value/money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel The Designers Samseong

Save Saved
You added Hotel The Designers Samseong to your Saves list
Hotel The Designers Samseong
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   9, Teheran-ro 79-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea   |
Ranked #119 of 397 Hotels in Seoul
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Clean, very conveniently located, courtesy, good value/money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Other that showing confusing directions on their website about how to get to the hotel (there are two Desidners in Seoul, far a part from each other) my stay at Hotel The Designers was more than good. Excellent the courtesy, availability and promptness of the personnel. The location is excellent to attend events at the 5 min walk massive conference centre coex, within the business district of Seoul, and close to metro stops for sightseeing. The design of the hotel and the room I've been is a bit pretentious, mostly rather nice, mostly elegant, all of good and high-tech quality. The glitches: the windows of the rooms are all tinted, you can get light in only by opening the room, which was bad to get over the jet-lag. A movement-induced light at the entrance of the room, which I never managed to set off. Other than that, very good quality overall, free water in the room, and excellent price (140kWon) considering the location and much better than neighbouring hotels. I would likely go back, if I had to come back to Seoul.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cernusco, Lombardia, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I would say that the hotel is comparable to many European 4 stars hotels in big cities, I was here for a conference in coex. Most of the hotels recommended by the organizer asked for about 160euro a night, while this one was only 80.

The staff was extremely fluent in English, the rooms all new and nicely furnished. Also large enough.
Therefore I would really recommend it if you are looking for this quality range and you are asked a similar price.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

These guys tried to do something different. The room designs look good, but they are not practical. My room had an oversized bathtub in the corner, which took a lot of space. It made it difficult to walk around the room, let alone sit down at a desk. Closet too small. Maybe other rooms are better design.

I liked the lighting control. It took me forever to figure out that the AC controls were on the TV remote!

The location is hard to find, it is nestled among a row of "love motels", but the location is fine. There are a few coffes shops around and it is a 5-minute walt to KALT, where you can check in for your flight and take the non-stop bus to the airport.

I liked the staff. The lady who checked me in was extremely helpful and polite and spoke English very well. Everything else was fine, AC, plugs, WIfi, toilet, shower....

Overall I would give it a 3.5. Had the room space been designed better it would have been a 4.5 as the value for money is great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We don't want to stay at those chained hotels, so were attracted to the unique and stylish theme.

When we booked the suite double, the picture showed on hotel.com was Room 906, when we arrived at the front desk, they assigned us to a room with messy theme and said we did not appoin the theme room when we booked, it took us quite a whle to "debate" with them in order to stay at the theme room we wanted to but we could only stay for a night since other customers appointed that one during booked. It is a good thing to u since Room 906 is quite small and the lighting made us a bit spaced-out. We moved to Room 505 on second night and it is even bigger and more comfortable. I suggest taking Suite Twin

The hotel is not easy to find since it was located at an alley, I suggest taking off from Samseong Metro Station, the road is smoother.

The area is commercial centre, if you want to go shopping and want to feel the hectic of Seoul, I suggest picking hotels at Dongdaemun/ Myeong Dong.

If you prefer a better sleeping quality instead of room decoration/ design, think twice before you click confirm.

Room Tip: Ensure you did appoint the room on the remark when book
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with a couple of friends for a short trip to Seoul. I was in Seoul two weeks ago and stayed at a different boutique hotel in the Yeoksam area and it was obvious that I was making comparison.

Hotel the Designer was a very unique hotel in that all the rooms have their own design and none of the rooms would be the same. They offer quite different styles from more contemporary to more chic. We booked ourselves in a suite and the rooms were not too spacious but understandable in hotels for big cities. We had a queen size bed and a twin bed that could sleep the 3 of us comfortably. All the rooms have free WiFi which is a good thing.

We were offered to choose from 3 different rooms when we checked in by looking at pictures on their iPad. My word of advice here is probably ask if you could go look at the rooms in person. We chose one that looked quite cool in the photos but turned out the room was way too dark and lights are quite dim.

We didn't use much of their facilities but we saw that there were complimentary bike rentals at the hotel for guests to use which is quite thoughtful. There is also a small coffee shop just next to the lobby with a small outside area that is quite relaxing but there aren't much to see as the hotel entrance is in an small alley facing parking entrance of nearby buildings.

The hotel is located in between Samsung Station and Seolleung Station. Walking to either station would take about 10-15 minutes. If you are looking to do a lot of local travelling on the metro then you would have to take this into account. On our way to the hotel from the airport there are basically two choices for airport bus. 6006 for the cheaper airport bus where you get off at the COEX and walk about 20 minutes to the hotel or 6704 for the KAL limousine and get off at the ibis Gangnam hotel and walk for 10 minutes.

There aren't a lot of restaurant choices nearby the hotel. There are a few Korean restaurants around the block but are only mediocre in my opinion. My last stay in Seoul I had much better restaurants choices just minutes away from the hotel. The prices for a night is relatively cheap but you could have gotten yourself a slightly better location for slightly more.

All in all the hotel is good but my criticism for it is its location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was in Room 902. Since they are all different, maybe the other are better. Be sure to check your room, or you might get stuck in mine. The place was packed, so I was stuck with it.

Lots to like: Good location, friendly staff, speedy Internet. Near a UNESCO heritage site which is not to be missed.

But:

Hyper-annoying issue 1: My room had no window. Let me explain: The single window (perhaps 8 square feet) had a mirror on the room side. So there was no way to get fresh air or natural light without opening the window and letting in the noise of Seoul. I felt like I was in a cell.

Annoying issue 2: There is no place to put soap or a towel in the bathroom. And the shower wand cannot be put at any place above the waist. Essentially, you took a navy shower here.

Annoying issue 3: They have a small screen on the wall that could not be turned off. It's about 3 inches only, but rotates through pictures, so when you try to sleep the light is constantly changing. I kept hitting the button to turn it off but it kept coming on.

Annoying issue 4: Good luck trying to get the TV to work. The place is loaded with foreigners, but everything is in Korean. Just a booklet to help us would let us use the unit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Hotel the Designers is a boutique hotel conveniently located in Seoul near the very large Co-Ex Center. The hotel is distinguished by the fact that each of the rooms was styled by a different designer. Most are clever and well-appointed. BUT the rooms are tiny - not surprising for big city accommodations. However, even for a city, my room was uncomfortably small (for one person), offering nowhere to open a suitcase, much less sit and work. The large, round jacuzzi style tub was in the room, adjacent (as in butting up against) the (very comfortable) bed. And the toilet was in the shower, which actually makes some sense.

The staff was pleasant and very accommodating. It's around the corner from the best dumpling place I've ever experienced. But the hotel itself has no restaurant or (and this is the worst part) bar. I believe the staff had to scurry outside somewhere to find me a bottle of wine to share with my colleagues as we were packing for the journey home. I will say that the tub made a comfortable spot to sit in our pajamas and drink the wine.

So a nice place to stay - on a quiet side street - but not the most fabulous place I've been. I'd still recommend it. But I probably won't go back.

Room Tip: If there is more than one of you, upgrade to a larger room!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel The Designers Samseong? Share your experiences!