“Very nice boutique hotel in Seoul” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel The Designers

Save Saved
You added Hotel The Designers to your Saves list
Hotel The Designers
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   144-7 Samseong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea   |
Ranked #120 of 390 hotels in Seoul
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Very nice boutique hotel in Seoul”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Hotel the Designers is a boutique hotel conveniently located in Seoul near the very large Co-Ex Center. The hotel is distinguished by the fact that each of the rooms was styled by a different designer. Most are clever and well-appointed. BUT the rooms are tiny - not surprising for big city accommodations. However, even for a city, my room was uncomfortably small (for one person), offering nowhere to open a suitcase, much less sit and work. The large, round jacuzzi style tub was in the room, adjacent (as in butting up against) the (very comfortable) bed. And the toilet was in the shower, which actually makes some sense.

The staff was pleasant and very accommodating. It's around the corner from the best dumpling place I've ever experienced. But the hotel itself has no restaurant or (and this is the worst part) bar. I believe the staff had to scurry outside somewhere to find me a bottle of wine to share with my colleagues as we were packing for the journey home. I will say that the tub made a comfortable spot to sit in our pajamas and drink the wine.

So a nice place to stay - on a quiet side street - but not the most fabulous place I've been. I'd still recommend it. But I probably won't go back.

Room Tip: If there is more than one of you, upgrade to a larger room!

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Maurepas, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is very well situated in Seoul
It is located in a nice part of the town, with many commercial centers and galleries
There are also many little shops in little streets
And together it is easy to find palces where having dinner for low prices
I have loved being in this hotel which is very luxuous
All the staff of the hotel is so kind too !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Had a chance to stay there for 3 nights. Hotel was very near drinking pubs which gave out photo cards of scantily dressed women. I was quite worried and receptionist whether it was red light district- she said it wasn't. During wee hours, you can hear breaking of glass bottles from inside the room.

There were no shuttle services to subway station, which was in between Samseong and Seolleong station.

Rooms were small, had trouble openning my luggage. Good, only because of its novelty of boutique hotel. Ventilation of the room was poor, time to time there is some sewage smell. Could be due to high humidity in the room by having a Jacuzzi in the room.

Overall, i won't be going back to stay, as it's not value for money.

• Stayed August 2013
Bellevue, Washington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed here for 5 days for conference at Coex. I read all the good reviews and decided that this will fit my bill perfectly since fancy exterior, restaurants in hotel, and other extras were not important to me. I was open-minded but also had high expectation. However, the hotel was disappointing overall. I paid extra to get the larger suite. First the good. Price was about 1/3 to 1/2 of Intercontinental Hotel at Coex. Location was mixed bag since front door was in the alley, but it was easy walking distance to Coex and I enjoyed the walks. Hotel had free bicycle for guest use which I made good use with biking path to Han River close-by. Staff was relatively friendly and helpful. Room was indeed interior designed and had character. Room was large and bed was comfortable. Bath tub was large and I made good use of it. Room had 120 volt US outlet for my laptop and charger. Now the bad. The biggest gripe that I had was the odor in the bathroom. It smelled like Seoul subway station bathroom. I mentioned the odor to the staff every day for 3 consecutive days and odor remained same, and I eventually gave up. My request to change room was declined with explanation that the hotel was full with conference. It soured my entire stay at the hotel. Second problem with the hotel is the lack of window. I initially didn't think it was problem, but eventually claustrophobia and gloominess set in after couple of days. I tried the breakfast on the first day, and I didn't think it was worth the 15,000 won it cost. I tried to really like the hotel, but the bad especially the bathroom odor made the overall stay unpleasant, and I don't think I would recommend this hotel to others.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I am now in Room 711. My friends and I hate this hotel and will not stay here again.

The only good thing is the location. The rest is absolutely crap. Don't be fooled by the somewhat fancy exterior and nicely decorated rooms. When you walk into the lobby, you'd be greeted with a scent that smells like toilet detergent. When you get to your floor, you'll smell this overpowering pungent scent. Both smells made us sick.

The level of cleanliness is bad. We accidentally spilled some coke on one of the beds and realised the next day that the hotel staff just made the beds without changing the sheets - coz the stains were still there. As for the floor, i'm not even sure it's cleaned - I spotted a few strands of hairs in one corner on my 3rd night here and it was very very obvious the corner had no contact with a cleaning device for sometime... I don't even want to think about the bathroom and toilet .... oh, and overall, the room is dusty.

Bathroom design is flawed. We had to put our shampoo and shower gel on the floor because there was no tray or ledge where we could put the stuff. How stupid is that?!

The staff were unhelpful too. It was raining like mad this evening and we asked the staff to get a taxi for us. The answer was "cannot call" (in Korean). What the hell is that?! I've never heard of a hotel that refuses to get a cab for a guest!

My friends and I have, collectively, come to Seoul at least 100 times in the last 7 years. We have stayed at quite a number of hotels esp in the Gangnam area and we have rarely, if ever, sworn off a hotel almost immediately. We picked Hotel The Designers because it was a relatively new hotel but it has been a disappointing experience.

Never again.

• Stayed July 2013
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Seoul is a big city and I chose this hotel because it its within walking distance of COEX Congress and trade centre. When you arrive with the metro (exit Samseong) it may be a bit hard to find the first time, because it its in a small street. So don't forget to take name and address, preferably in Korean, with you. The rooms are small, hardly place for a suitcase, but it has airco, mini fridge with complimentary water and sparkling drinks but no alcohol. The hotel bar doesn't sell alcohol and is not open at night. The breakfast is half Asian and half European, not very fancy. The beds are good but some might find the mattress a bit too hard. My room had a combined bathtub and shower without curtain, a toilet with all kinds of futuristic extras like automatic flush. The shampoo etc. was hidden behind the mirror. All rooms are no smoking, so it surprised me to find not only a water cooker in the cupboard, but an ashtray and matches too. Despite some of the negatives, I would not hesitate to book this hotel again, just because it its so different from the well known hotel chains.

Room Tip: The suites are bigger, but some have a bathtub in the bedroom. Visit the website for pictures of the...
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is such a little gem in the heart of Gangnum. Service is excellent and rooms are great. What must be mentioned is the toilet technology!! Only in a techno crazy country such as Korea could you find something akin to a smart toilet - will leave the rest for you to explore!!

Room Tip: If you want one of the designer rooms, make sure to mention that in your booking. The cost is sligh...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel The Designers? Share your experiences!