“Reasonable business hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #137 of 440 Hotels in Seoul
Gibraltar
“Reasonable business hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The position is very good, right opposite City Hall, with easy access to the excellent public transport system. My room, on the 25th floor looking South, was quiet; colleagues reported that other sides of the building could be rather noisy. The room itself was fine (although the bath was rather small) and, joy of joys, they allowed me to smoke in it. I do apologise for this to any unfortunate person who hates tobacco and who followed me; I gather that 90% of the rooms are always non-smoking so it should be possible to get a 'clean' room. Any smokers among readers of this will be as delighted as I was.

I made the slight mistake of misreading my 'breakfast voucher' (one issued for each day of the stay) and thought I was obliged to go to the Japanese restaurant. I was faintly surprised, on arrival, to be given a cup of tepid slightly coloured liquid with no choice of tea or coffee - and then realised I was in for a Japanese breakfast. It was actually very good, if you like that sort of thing. The following mornings I found my cornflakes and tea in the ground floor 'cafe'.

There was a slight problem with the bill (they insisted that I was not paid for when in fact I was). So I paid it myself in cash and then, when they realised their mistake after my return to Europe, they were reasonably quick to refund my bank account - although I think I lost quite a bit on the exchange rate. But at least I got it back - and they contacted me to accept the mistake before I contacted them which shows some efficiency.

So, once again, a perfectly serviceable business hotel which (once inside) might be anywhere. I think I must be alone in preferring a hotel with some form of local character. But since this appears to be what business people want, this is what they get.

Room Tip: Rooms facing South appear to be quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

It's in a good spot, easy access from a major subway station. However, it is in great need of updating. The hotel has all the usual amenities. My room was ok, but old, and smelled of old carpeting and cold smoke (although it was a non-smoking room). It was also very noisy from the traffic down below.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the main drag.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
İstanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Hotel is located on the very center of the city. It is very close to everywhere.
The rooms and furniture are slightly old, but everything is clean and functlional.
The breakfast is also very nice and the open buffet is fair enough.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Besides the awesome location, the Hotel President is my favorite in Seoul because of the staff. Everybody on staff during our entire stay was amazing. The views from the rooms are great and there is even a TV in the elevator. I often stay in high end hotels because of work, and this is by no means 'average' five star nowadays, but it probably was 20 years ago. It's the people that make up for that! The Dunkin Donuts across the street was also a nice touch and made me feel home during my month in Asia. Ask for a room facing City Hall - sometimes there are concerts and you can open the window to hear the music. Great addition!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing City Hall - sometimes there are concerts and you can open the window to hear t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank maxdatraveler
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I am typing this hotel review on my flight from Seoul back to Hong Kong.

I stayed at this hotel for 4D/3N and was on a business trip. As my business meetings were around Seoul Finance Centre, my company arranged this hotel for me so I had no decision power over my choice before departure.

The hotel was very conveniently located near Myeong Dong (10 min walk, can walk along the direction to Westin Chosun hotel or walk inside Lotte Department Store close by to reach Myeong Dong). If you take the subway system, you can exit Eujiro 1-ga and leave at exit 8. The hotel is just 3-min walk (no need to cross any road) from that exit.

In terms of hotel quality, I personally give it a "4-star". My company reserved a so-called "Korean styled room" which consists of a short table and mats (or Tatami in Japanese, refer to the photos taken inside the room). A lot of TV channels are available and for a non-Korean speaker like me, I can enjoy Korean news on "Arirang" channel which is an English channel covering Korean news.

Other minor issues:
1) Local phone call is charged at KRW300 per minute
2) No breakfast is provided but a few convenience stores (2-min walk) are just next to the hotel
3) Free wifi at room and lobby and cable connection at room only. Login with your room number and last name is required.
4) All staff speak satisfactory English. Communication is not a big concern in the hotel.

As I came to Seoul in its rainy season (July), the weather was not nice and it rained all day. The hotel could lend you an umbrella in case you need it.

This is my 5th time in Seoul and I came here on business this time so did not have lots of time to go shopping and sight seeing.
Some travelling tips:

1) Remember to ask for tax refund receipt if you purchase sufficient amount at approved stores (e.g. those cosmetic shops and department stores). However it was a headache for me to get back refund before I got on this plane. There are THREE different tax refund counters in Incheon airport (after customs). As I am holding different receipt types, I need to line up at each of the counters and the staff told me they partner with different shops/brands so I do need to line up at another refund counter if I am holding other receipts issued by non-recognized shops/brands. The most surprising counter requires me to just write down my passport ID, name and home address and they will air-mail me a cheque (?) for refund in 30-90 days. I sincerely wish this chaeque will arrive :<

2) Get a T-money card at any subway station/convenience store. It is a smart e-payment card which is widely accepted in all transportation systems (subway, taxi and buses) and convenience stores.

3) If you buy a single-ride subway ticket, remember to return your ticket to the machine and get back your KRW500 deposit. Subway company implements this policy as they believe tourists may take the ticket as a souvenir and there is ticket production cost involved if you do so.

4) Try to take the Airport Express Train (KRW8000 one way from the airport to Seoul station, non-stop, duration: 40-50 min). I took the train from the airport to the city centre and a cab back to the airport. Taking a cab is far more expensive (KRW68000).

5) Taxis (colored in black) are more expensive than the other colored taxis. Their starting fare is higher (KRW4500 vs KRW2000), albeit the black taxis are offering more seats and spaces.

6) Namdaemum (Hoeyeong subway station) is within a walking distance (10mins) from Myeong Dong subway. You can consider to walk to Namdaemum through the Hoeyeong underground shopping area. There are many underground shopping areas in Seoul. Insadong is also within a walking distance (15mins) from MyeongDong if you prefer to walk more instead of taking a subway.

Enjoy your stay in Seoul.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Zenki K
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

UPSIDE
This hotel sits in a very strategic location: just in front of the Seoul City Hall and very near everything. It is right beside the Lotte Hotel and Shopping Mall and underneath it is the subway station that connects to a wide swath of the city prope including the ancient palaces, Insadong, Myeongdong, Namdaemun, Dongdaemun, duty-free shops and more. Unfortunately, that is just what about the good things about this hotel --- the rest is non event.

DOWNSIDE
The rooms are just plain and a little-dated space. They will give you username and password for wi-fi upon check in only to discover that there your room has no connection (I was billeted in the 8th Floor). The cafe where the daily breakfast is served looks perfectly nice with good ambience, What is not good is the food: you get exactly the same kind of food variety everyday that they do not change even a bit some items on the table. However, the service is just OK. Though the TV inside the room is cabled, there is a scarcity of English language programs as most of the channels are local. There was also no bellboys to assist you upon check in and you only have yourselves to fend for for your luggages.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jude T
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

This location is great for those interested in going to Myeongdong & Namdaemun for shopping, food, people watching. There are two subway stations nearby for access to other parts of Seoul. It's near to the Deoksugung palace. A changing of the guard crony is held three times daily and it's interesting as the guards are dressed in historical uniforms. There are also announcements of the different stages in English as well so you have an idea of what's going on. After the ceremony you can take photos of the guards. The palace is one of the stops for the Seoul City Tour bus which is a easy way to explore many of the tourist sites in Seoul.

No wifi in rooms but a cable is provided for Internet access. Like most hotels in South Korea, free wifi is available in the lobby. However Seoul is a digitally connected city and you can access free wif in a lot of locations, especially cafes, restaurants.

The furniture in the room is old and could do with a refurbishment. No complaints about the size. The rate was much lower than the hotels located in Myeongdong but the rooms are bigger.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple