“Lost hope in the Intercontinental Brand” 2 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #44 of 397 Hotels in Seoul
4.0 of 5 stars 530 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
“Lost hope in the Intercontinental Brand”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Given that I am a Platinum member with the brand, I expected a little bit more than what I was given. When I arrived for an early check-in (at about 9am), I did not expect that I could check in but tried anyway. The check-in agent first scorned that my room will not be ready until "er.... 12pm", at the earliest. When I asked if there are any rooms available which I can pay to upgrade to, he tried to upsell the club room to be at USD65 per night. I then asked if I could be upgraded to it since I have the status. He typed something into the PC and then said that he can upgrade me to a club room on a high floor as a "one-time exception" but I would not receive club access. I took it as I just came on a long flight and just wanted a shower. It did, however, made me feel belittled that he was doing me such a huge favor, by giving me something which I assumed I was entitled to as a platinum member, as stated quite blatantly on the intercontinental group's website of space-available upgrades. A later email to the main IHG guest relations to clarify the situation was met with a cold response from their USA office of stuff it, too bad, count yourself lucky. The hotel did, however, attempted to do some service recovery by inviting me to the club on my 3rd (and last) night, and breakfast the next morning, but I have already made plans for dinner and was checking out at 6am the next day.

Hotel is undergoing renovation which meant that the entire concierge and reception area is make-shift, though they have concealed it nicely and would have earned some points if not for the belittling experience at check-in.

The hotel was also rather inconsistent in some areas. Turn-down service (if done, it must have been because the curtains were already drawn when I returned to the room) was done before 4pm. Newspapers on the 2nd day and last day of my trip, but not on the 3rd day. A morning call (always have a secondary alarm!) for the 3rd day for 6am, was only made at 7am (regardless of how bad my pronunciation is, I think it is almost impossible to mistake 'six' for 'seven').. though on the 4th day check-out morning call was done on time.

The entire area of COEX seems to be undergoing renovation. Samseoung station however is at its doorstep (50m away) which is useful. KAL Limousine line 6704 also serves the hotel. Wifi in room was fast (limited to 4 machines).

Water pressure in the shower was abysmal. Better luck using the shower in the tub for better pressure.

Concierge team is always eager to help, which is good. The boys at the door are a pleasant bunch who despite the negative degree temperatures brave it out in their coats.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Darren M, General Manager at Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback after your stay with us here in Seoul much appreciated.

Firstly my apologies for the disappointment caused and based on your feedback it appears we have dropped the ball on our usual high levels of service and certainly not of our regular high standard.

Like all InterContinental hotels we place a huge amount of emphasis on our great customer service and additional recognition of our many loyal and valued Ambassador members.

I shall be contacting you via your email address linked to this review and hope to gain further information about your booking so I can personally trace and determine where we need to improve our training and service standards to avoid a repeat of your experience.

Whilst I cannot turn back time and erase this experience for you I do hope that we can make contact to discuss your stay in more detail and then should you return to Seoul hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Look forward to hearing back from you at your convenience.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Korean first
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Weired set up due to ongoing construction.
The check in was smooth and easy.
However, going to my room was quite confusing since we had to change the elevator.
The room was huge since my room was upgraded to a junior suite for being Ambassador member.
One problem was the room was quite chilly, and climate control panel did not work well.
We called for the service over heater, but didn't work out very well.
The hotel is located in Samsung Dong near COEX convenion center. Many restaurants and shopping complex and department store are nearby.
I am not sure whether I will be back until the completion of the renovation.
The check out was smooth.

Room Tip: Would not recommend the hotel until the completion of construction!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review and feedback after your stay with us here in Seoul much appreciated.

It is always a difficult decision to continue to operate during such remodelling phases and sincere apologies for any shortcomings that you experienced during this time.
That said, the team here at the hotel are doing everything they can to minimise any disruption and inconvenience caused wherever possible and I do hope that you contacted them to discuss your issues as they may have been able to offer you some alternatives at the time?

On a positive note, I am pleased to let you know that the hotel will begin to reopen our new facilities from the end of this month with everything being back online by the end of February.

I do hope that after that time you will again choose our hotel and experience for yourself firsthand our wonderful new facilities.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

As many reviews suggest under a major renovations, with the lobby a mess and only one restaurant open. We were a party of two double rooms, and one had been renovated and the other not. The newly renovated rooms was certainly very smart, and once all is done this will be excellent

Staff are VERY good (as you would expect at the prices). We had a meal in the 34 floor café, and it was very good and service was equally good, however, the price was VERY high for what we had.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Darren M, General Manager at Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review and feedback after your stay with us here in Seoul much appreciated, especially the recognition of our employees.
My apologies for any disappointment caused during your stay as it is always a very difficult decision for us to continue to operate during such remodelling phases. That said, as you have highlighted, once completed the team are all getting very excited about sharing our wonderful new facilities which are due for completion by the middle of next month.
Unfortunately you have just missed this however we do hope that should you return to Seoul that you will again choose the Grand InterContinental and experience our new and enhanced hotel.

Laval, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Hotel under major renovations, well located , accessibility to subway and shopping Center. Bathroom amenity are average. Good breakfast buffet. We are very well welcome by all staff . Personnally I prefer the Conrad really of superior quality but this intercontinental look promising. I have try four hotels during my stay and I prefer more moderns hotels such W, Sheraton DCube or Conrad . But if you prefer to be in gangnam , this could be a good choice.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Kaboycan,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with our staff services, breakfast selection and the location of the hotel. Few sections of the hotel that are being remodeled which may limit access to other facilities from May 1, 2013 until January 31, 2014. Your comments will help us improve our service and offer a great experience for our guest. I hope that once the renovation is complete you will return to see all the wonderful changes and improvements we have made.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The hotel is under remodeling and just has one restaurant left for dining.
The elevator can not get to the room from ground floor. With the pricing
paid, the value we get is very minimal.

The remodeling will not be done shortly.

Room Tip: corner room has no bath tank.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear DavidYangHIT,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced because of the renovations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fujairah, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had stayed there for 01 week for a business related trip as BB basis. The hotel running under a renovation and lift is a hassle. The issue get more worse as staff also using the lifts at the same time and it’s always packed with bell boys, luggage, etc..sometimesin the morning you can hear the maintenance work which is disturb if you need to sleep little late.
Housekeeping staff are very attentive and respectable & well enough BR amenities always. Amenity {fruits} has placed only in the last day which is strange. The local Korean dishes ordered through room service was quite delicious. Few familiar issues with language barrier sometimes but can handle, of course better than my previous Daejion experience.
Bell boys are very friendly & FO very proactive as well.. overall a good experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

It's been 4 times in last 5 months that I have stayed here. It's like a second home for me. The warmth of the welcome, the courtesy and the quality of service extended by Guest Relations staff enhances this feeling. All the staffs in this hotel, from Front Desk to Concierge to F&B, take good care of the guests needs. From Guest Relations I would like thank Michelle, Julie, Karyn & last but not the least Amy for their excellent support extended during all my stays. They are always very attentive to the guest needs. Especially Amy who goes an extra mile to respond to the guests queries and requests. She helped me in arranging the complete itinerary of the stay of 8 persons from my company who were accompanying me this time and everyone has appreciated that.

Though the hotel is going through the renovation work but till date I had no issues during any of my stays. This hotel will always be my first choice in Seoul.

Room Tip: The Club Lounge is excellent. Worth to book with Club Lounge access.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Grand InterContinental Seoul Parnas? Share your experiences!