“Great location and standard set up” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fraser Suites Insadong

Save Saved
You added Fraser Suites Insadong to your Saves list
Fraser Suites Insadong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   272 Nakwon-dong Jongno-gu, Seoul 110-320, South Korea (Formerly Fraser Suites Seoul)   |
Ranked #37 of 393 hotels in Seoul
London, United Kingdom
“Great location and standard set up”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very nice and easy location, surrounded by unique shops and food stalls.
Was a girls' hen do for my friend. spacious 2 bedroom flats, you got it all.
recommended for family or group of friends.
the only thing is - for the stay, wont have no staff cleaning the room. maybe that is the norm for place like a service apartment.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

329 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Got 4 bedroom flat on the 8th floor. 3 adutls and 3 boys. It has a lot to offer for family with kids. - it has young kids play room, gym for adults, two different swimming pool - one big pool and one pool for toddlers. and one spa pool. good sauna. It also offers movie day for kids once a month and had other activities. Very friendly and helpful. I love Insadong - its only 1-2 min walk to Insadong shopping district. and 15-20 min walk to other major shopping district such as Myung Dong or Lotte department store. Lots of great place to eat nearby. Easy to get subway or taxi to other places. We loved it. Only downside for this place is how uncomfortable bed is! kids were okay. But my husband suffered really bad backache. I was going to give 3 stars because of bed but everything else was so good......

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I struggled with whether or not to give Fraser Suites 4 or 5 stars. This is an excellent facility that is perfectly located in Seoul close to every attraction you could want to see in Seoul, not to mention the myriad of shops and restaurants literally right outside the door. However, there were things about Fraser Suites that also frustrate me with other hotels in the same price range such as having to pay for breakfast and internet. We stayed at youth hostels before checking into Fraser that at least offered us toast and coffee in the morning as well as free internet. I just find it mind-boggling that you have to pay for internet in this day and age. Not only that, but if you do pay for internet at Fraser, it is for only one device! Crazy. What tipped the scales for me to give Fraser 5 starts is their service. We arrived early because we had to check out of our previous hotel and Fraser was happy to store our luggage securely and told us to check back around 2pm. When we checked back at 2, our room was still not ready so we waited in the lobby. The receptionist who was helping us got us checked in 20 minutes later and to our surprise gave us a complimentary upgrade. Our room was beyond anything we expected. We had been backpacking around Korea for a week and had endured the most modest of accommodations so when we stepped into our deluxe suite, I couldn't stop jumping for joy! Beautiful two bedroom corner suite with living room, dining room, fully equipped kitchen and panoramic views of downtown Seoul. It was heaven. We did have to pay for internet but again, he gave us access for two devices at a discount because we were staying for multiple days. Breakfast, well, we were on our own but since we had a fully equipped kitchen we were happy to buy stuff from the 7-11 across the street for cheap eats in the morning. We spent so much time walking around Seoul so I was more than happy to take advantage of the spa. Wet/dry saunas, hot/cold jet baths and a nice sized pool. I did not get to use the gym but I did have a look and it was quite impressive with lots of different equipment. We used the washer/dryer machine in the room but it was a little confusing and had to dry some things on a rack but just having access to a washer/dryer was very nice and we did eventually figure it out (but it did take a long time to dry). The staff at the desk also helped us with postage for postcards, getting a cab to Seoul Station (a black cab cost just under $7!) and just generally being extremely helpful and pleasant. It is truly their customer service that tipped the scales for me and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is our first trip to Seoul, South Korea. It has been a busy week of sightseeing with our local guide. After visiting many neighborhoods across this large city – I am happy to report that we are glad we stayed at Fraser Suites in Insadong. The neighborhood is a near perfect mix of shops and restaurants. It is also centered to so many of the city’s historical sights (we could see many of them from room 2005 on the 20th floor and facing the North mountain).

Fraser Suite apartments may not be for everyone. We found the space and amenities, service and location to be perfect for us. We travel a lot and have stayed in many World-class hotels. As other TA writers report, this property is aging a bit and the finish-out isn’t first class. That said, it wasn’t bad or tattered either.

The small kitchen allowed us to make our own breakfast before heading out each day. It is equipped with full sized refrigerator, microwave, oven, gas range top, coffee maker, teapot, toaster and all of the necessary pots, pans, utensils and dining ware. It is also home to a washer/dryer combination and drying rack. Yes, this is a compact space. Perfect for one, tight for two or more. We carried our own coffee, tea and washing powder. Otherwise, the kitchen was fully equipped with all the necessary items. There are many small stores to purchase food and supplies.

Apartment 2005 is a two bedroom deluxe. That said, one bedroom is small with a twin sized bed and few amenities. No television, safe, alarm clock or telephone. It has a writing desk and good closet. The reasonable (but not generous) sized bathroom is separate and located in the main common room – equipped with a shower, sink and western style toilet. Baths amenities include hair dryer, towels, floor mats, soap, shampoo, lotion and body wash. No wash cloths here – so if you need one bring it. We had good wifi reception with one account free. A second account cost us $40,000 won for the week.

If your sharing this space with another couple, they are definitely getting short changed in the deal. You should definitely look at a three bedroom apartment with two in-suite bathrooms.

The master bedroom is terrific. The size is good with a full closet, safe, alarm clock, telephone, television, iron board, and in-suite bath with both a soaking tub and separate shower. The room has robes and a humidifier (which isn’t need in humid Seoul). This room has a double bed and two pillows. We all complained about the pillows that are soft and wimpy. The beds are fairly comfortable and linens are fine.

Both bedrooms have large sliding doors onto a small, enclosed balcony. The drapes do a good job in blocking out the daylight for late sleepers. I did use an old trick of using clothes pins to secure the gaps. The balcony is fairly useless other than to take terrific pictures of the Mountains and nearby palaces. You will not believe how many historical sights are viewable from your window.

It was unusually warm for October – reaching 80 degrees Fahrenheit during our stay. The air conditioner in the room didn’t keep up. Still the room stayed fairly cool and an electric fan helped. Other TA writers advise that the air conditioning is controlled for the entire building and I suspect this is correct. Adjusting our individual control didn’t seem to make much difference during our weeklong stay at the apartment. This could be a major drawback in making your choice to choose this apartment over other nearby hotels. At 80 degrees, it didn’t have us request a rebate and seek out another property and I am definitely an air condition kind of guy. That said – take my advice and request an electric fan.

The main room includes a small dining table (4 chairs), sofa and two side chairs. It has flat screen television, DVD player, surround sound speakers, and telephone. A entry cabinet has an umbrella and slippers for two people. It also has floor to ceiling windows overlooking the narrow enclosed balcony. The balcony is fairly useless (other than taking pictures) and warm on hotter days. Still the configuration helped to provide plenty of light in the main room and both bedrooms.

The interior corridor is glass enclosed with a center atrium and honestly, this area shows the biggest wear of the building from carts hitting the service doors and walls. The elevators require room key access to help with security.

We didn’t use many of the amenities provided by Fraser Suites. They have a golf driving range on the rooftop. I only visited to take photos of the city (you have to check in at the front desk so they can give you access). The second floor is home to the restaurant but we decided to cook breakfast ourselves. It is also home to the pool, changing room, gym and sauna. I walked through and each were clean and well equipped during my quick drop-by.

The front lobby is modern. It has a shared restroom with Korean fixtures. These can take some time and training to use. Staff was efficient and friendly. Check-in was a breeze. During our stay, the different shifts of personnel didn’t seem to communicate with each other – so we answered the same questions about our requests and arrangements several different times.

We arranged for transportation to and from the ICN airport with Fraser Suites. It was not cheap at $165,000 won each way. It takes about 1 hour. The car was a high-end KIA and well-equipped including leather seats, WIFI and bottled water. The driver was good and met us in the arrivals lounge. He quickly whisked us away from the airport to the hotel – a delight after our 14-hour flight from the USA to Seoul.

Room Tip: Room 2005 faces North Mountain and overlooks the palaces.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Walk right out the door and you are only steps away from the main shopping street Insadong-Gil. Tons of shopping & restaurants close by.
The main lobby had a very modern feel to it with colorful artwork, don't miss the sheep in the corner!
Stayed 8 nights with husband and sister, so we had a 2 bedroom suit with a huge enclosed balcony & an amazing view! Clean, large rooms, felt very "Homey" but dated. The cleaning service was very friendly and efficient as was the main front desk who was helpful getting cabs and giving directions, although, not really a concierge, so I wouldn't ask for suggestions for places to eat. We tried that once and wasn't very successful. A/C never got really cold in the room, thankfully there were only a few warm/humid days while we stayed there.
Swimming pool had separate men/women entrances and a steam room that leads out to the enclosed pool. One large pool, a smaller kids pool and Jacuzzi. One weird thing is, the dining room is right next to it. You wouldn't know unless you go up to the window, but it's a strange floor plan.
One thing I didn't like at all was the smell of the sheets/pillows/comforter. At first I thought they were dirty, but even after the pillows were swapped out and linens changed, it was still stinky, turns out it was the detergent and/or dryer sheet smell. Bring febreeze! Be prepared for a very very stiff mattress. I like a firm mattress, but this one was extreme!
Wasn't really in the room that often, but wished there was better TV station options and free internet access.
The laundry/dryer is a very small all-in-one, and the cycle is VERY long, if I remember correctly, it was like 3 hours! and the dryer doesn't really work, so be prepapred to use the drying rack.
For the ladies, the hotel hairdryer was good, so no need to bring one from home. It wasn't the strongest, but it got the job done.

Overall, I liked this place and would recommend to anyone. In fact, we're going back in a month and will be staying here!

Room Tip: Get something on the higher floors and facing Seoul Tower, great view!
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We chose this place as it was one of the few we found with 3 bedrooms. Despite the lack of choice we were pleasantly surprised. The apartment was spacious & clean, the building has a great gym & pool area & the location is perfect. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2013
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights. Location wise, it is between 2 metro stations and very convenient to walk around to Insadong and 2 palaces. The room is a basic, clean but dated. I might have expected more from Frasers group. Aircon is centrally controlled, and it was too warm for our liking. Couldn't control the temp in the room. First day I checked in, they came to clean the filters, but it didn't help at all. Finally I checked again on the 3rd night and that's when they told me the temperature is controlled centrally. They finally send a fan to our unit which helped a bit. We had a 3 bedroom unit so 1 fan doesn't really solve the problem.
I found the front desk service ok, not extremely friendly. I wanted them to help me flag down a cab as I need them to translate the Korean address. The front desk told me they can only call for the Premium cab (which is more expensive) and if I wanted a normal cab, I have to walk out to the streets to flag it down. Not too helpful if you need them to tell the cab driver where you are going.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Fraser Suites Insadong? Share your experiences!