“Excellent Location and very good Service” 4 of 5 stars

The Westin Chosun Seoul
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   87 Sogong-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul 100-070, South Korea   |
Ranked #19 of 408 Hotels in Seoul
Tokyo, Japan
“Excellent Location and very good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The hotel is located fantastically. You can walk to Lotte Department store, the connection to the Airports is excellent and you are very fast in Myeondong to go for a shopping tour.
We stayed 2 nights to explore Seoul center and for this purpose the hotel was ideal.
We had a club room, so we could access the club lounge at the top floor and enjoy drinking and eating almost all day long.
The room was clean and nice and the staff always friendly.

Room Tip: Club Rooms offer a lot of additional service
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dkim7019, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chosun Seoul, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear our guest,

It was our pleasure you stayed with us and thank you so much for your compliment and we are encouraged by your nice comment. We, all our Westin Chosun, Seoul, associates are truly welcoming you back again.

Douglas Kim / Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

What can I say.............right in the heart of the shopping district of Myeongdong. 5 minutes by taxi to Seoul Station and walking distance to Lotte Departmental Store and Namdaemun Market. True to a Westin, rooms are very well appointed and service is excellent. Breakfast was fantastic and had dinner at the Chinese restaurant which was tasty and authentic.

Will stay again.

Dear our guest,

It was our pleasure you stayed with us and thank you so much for your compliment and we are encouraged by your nice comment regarding restaurants. We, all our Westin Chosun, Seoul, associates are truly welcoming you back again.

Wamboin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was my first visit to this hotel, and my impression was very favourable. The hotel is very well situated for exploring the centre of Seoul; the service is first-rate, and the rooms quiet. I particularly liked the fact that the room had windows which opened sufficiently so that I could cool it to the (cold) temperature in which I like to sleep, rather than having to try to sleep in a room at a temperature chosen by the management. I would certainly come here again, and would strongly recommend the hotel to someone (like myself) who had not been to Korea before. I was particularly impressed by the fact that one of the concierge staff was able to identify on the internet (from my somewhat vague description) an item of Korean Hangwa (a traditional sweetmeat), but also discover where I could purchase them. The breakfasts and dinners at the lower ground floor buffet restaurant had a particularly wide choice of food.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dkim7019, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chosun Seoul, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear our guest,

It was our pleasure you stayed with us and thank you so much for your compliment and we are encouraged by your nice comment regarding the restaurant. We, all our Westin Chosun, Seoul, associates are truly welcoming you back again.

Seoul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Excellent hotel. Booking a 5 star hotel comes with sky-high expectations. Of course, the basics like a clean room will be fine. But small things can make or break your association with a hotel. For example in Seoul, the Park Hyatt is excellent, whereas the Grand Hyatt is terrible (despite huge reputation).

The Westin Chosun just gets everything right. The lobby is nice, the hotel feels like being built just yesterday, breakfast is nice and not too busy, and most of all: the location! Right in the city center, Lotte department store, and all other shops around the corner. Rooms are not too big, but fitted with all things you need (except for a walk in shower, standing in the bath is not so great). The nespresso machine in the room is excellent.

I was staying here for 60% of the room rate of one of the Hyatts, but would definitely stay here again even at the same price!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

General 5 star property with excellent services/good restaurants to boot. Located in Central/Jung-Su District it's a close cab ride to many multinationals and shopping/metro. Bus from ICN to hotel takes about 1hr. Hotel is an older/low rise property that has been well maintained. Good wi-fi. Rooms are fair sized and while not super modern, comfortable with the added benefit of Nespresso/music station. Gym is very good and there is also a spa/pool.

If you can get a good rate, it's a fail safe choice. Location is a big selling point. More business hotel than vacation spot though fits the bill for both.

Room Tip: Very quiet hotel. My room was near elevator and there was no noise.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed here for work for nearly two weeks; hotel is very nice; was on the executive floor with complimentary access to the business lounge on the 20th floor (great happy hour with full bar and finger foods every day from 6-8pm). Also had complimentary buffet breakfast in the Aria every day; good quality food and big spread (there is breakfast in the business lounge as well, it's just not as big a spread). The service at the hotel is great. Had a complimentary shoe shine while there and complimentary access to pool, gym, sauna (all very nice facilities... will have to bring my goggles next time). My ONLY complaint is that extra charges for small services are outrageous... in particular, laundry! Bring all the spare clothes that you need, b/c it's $7 to launder a single undershirt! The location of this hotel is great; walk able to multiple sites, restaurants, shopping, and Insadong, which is a great place to pick up souvenirs.

Dear our guest,

It was our pleasure you stayed with us and thank you so much for your compliment and we are encouraged by your nice comment. Thank you for your bringing laundry matters to our attention and all your comments have been reported to our management. We, all our Westin Chosun, Seoul, associates are truly welcoming you back again.

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've spent over 100 nights at this hotel over the years, but oddly enough, this was my first stay since the remodeling was completed a couple years ago. What I've always enjoyed most about this hotel is its welcoming hospitality. And while the interior experienced a drastic makeover, I'm glad this aspect of the hotel remains the same. From the moment the doormen greet you, you just get this feeling that your needs will be taken care of. Check-in is smooth and efficient - I was in my room unpacking in less than 10 minutes. The greeter who met me in the lobby took care of my dinner reservations and incoming faxes while I checked in. The staff makes an effort to anticipate your needs before you make a request. Now, if that's not great service, I'm not sure what is.

So for you business travellers, let me briefly go through the pros and cons so that you can decide for yourself. I will provide comparisons with other hotels in Seoul where applicable.

Pros:
(1) Service - I already gave plenty of examples above. Some people think the Shilla Hotel has the best service in Seoul, but I disagree. I think the Westin Chosun is much better (at least for Western people)
(2) Rooms - are the same size as before, but somehow feel more spacious with the redesign. The bathrooms definitely feel bigger, but they still use the same shower system in the tub (which I had hoped they would replace). The bed is large, but a bit soft for my taste. The broadband is fast. Overall, the room is great. Everything is where it should be and there is nothing lacking.
(3) Gym / pool - The remodeled gym / resurfaced pool is FANTASTIC. The new gym has a yoga studio and all the latest equipment. Some would argue that the JW Marriott gym / pool is bigger, but I think the facilities at WC are of higher quality. The pool only has 3 lanes so it can get crowded at times. The bottom of the pool is also dark so lap swimmers might have some difficulty timing their turns. The pool at the Grand Hyatt is still the best in Seoul.
(4) Restaurants - Sushi Cho is still here and still very good (just moved upstairs instead of being in the basement). The new italian restaurant (Vecchio) is also very nice. Both are pricey so if you want to eat cheaply, you will need to head toward Seoul Financial Center a few blocks away. Lots of good / cheap restaurants there. Room service is also very good, but again, pricey.
(5) Environment - There's plent to do nearby; there's shopping of all levels next door; Seoul's river walk is within walking distance; Seoul City Hall is just across the street (I remember watching World Cup games there in '02; right now, there's an ice rink). And you are a short cab ride away from the Seoul art scene and historical landmarks.

Cons:
(1) Access - the location has always been a drawback for this property. If you plan to stay north of the Han River, you have no worries. If you have meetings in Gangnam (south of the river), you will need to add 20-30 minutes to your commute in the mornings and in the evenings. If you find yourself criss-crossing the river, you should probably stay at the Grand Hyatt to save time.
(2) Price - after the remodel, prices went up (as expected). The rates on the Starwood home page is good, but sometimes you can find better deals on Agoda.com or Kayak.com. The WC is still a good value, but there are cheaper hotels in Seoul if you are cost conscious.

The title of my review says it all. It was a great hotel that became even better after the remodel. I've stayed at many Westins all over the world and you would do yourself a dis-service if you considered this property as "another Westin". For those who travel extensively in Asia, the Westin Chosun is closer to Westin Tokyo than Westin Taipei or Bangkok. The property offers hospitality and services found at more expensive hotels around the region. This property has my highest recommendation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear our guest,

It was our pleasure you stayed with us and thank you so much for your compliment and we are encouraged by your nice comment, the highest recommendation. We, all our Westin Chosun, Seoul, associates are truly welcoming you back again.

Douglas Kim / Front Office Manager

Been to The Westin Chosun Seoul? Share your experiences!