“Old Hotel, needs upgrading” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Seoul Hotel

You added Renaissance Seoul Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Seoul Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   237, Teheran-Ro, Gangnam-Gu, Seoul 135-915 , South Korea   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #56 of 399 Hotels in Seoul
4.0 of 5 stars 443 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
“Old Hotel, needs upgrading”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

This is a very good hotel, but like american style old rooms and furnitures.. Location is pretty good.. Needs some new image to bring back its enigma. I love the food, even though Vegetarian options are very limited. They help me to find indian restaurants easily..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Simon B, General Manager at Renaissance Seoul Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Thermo1116

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Renaissance Seoul Hotel.

I appreciate your honest feedback about the hotel and facilities. It's very encouraging to hear you appreciate the service and food we offer in the hotel. I have taken your comments on board about our vegetarian options and will share with our Food and Beverage team to continue to improve in that area.

We all hope it is not too long before you are back in Seoul again.

Simon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel a number of times during business trip. Nothing too fancy, but very dependable. You get what you will expect from the hotel. The furnishing is a little old but room is generally clean. The gym can be crowded in the late afternoon, but there are still enough equipment so cater to everyone's needs. Would come back again .

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Keithlhk

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Renaissance Seoul Hotel.

It's nice to hear you are comfortable at our hotel and it sounds like our team take good care of you while you are staying here.

I look forward to meeting you in person next time you are in Seoul.

San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed here numerous times in early 2000's and the good news is nothing has changed. The bad news is nothing has changed. To be fair, the common areas like the lobby, bar, and restaurant have been remodeled, but the rooms are exactly the same. They are very clean and well cared for, but the wall paper is old and faded and the material on the couch is so worn the pattern is gone. The carpet in the club lounge has been patched, but even the patches are worn down to the threads. This is definitely not a 5 star property. I would give the service 5 stars, but the property only 3 stars. Knowing what to expect I would stay here again, but for those expecting a more upscale property I would stay else where like the nearby Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Simon B, General Manager at Renaissance Seoul Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear zoomy61

On behalf of everyone at the Renaissance Seoul Hotel thank you very much for taking the time to write a very candid and honest review of our hotel.

It's encouraging to hear our service standards continue to meet your expectations. We have put a lot of time and energy into training our ambassadors to ensure they provide the best possible service.

I appreciate your feedback on the quality of our rooms and club lounge and have forwarded your review to our team to come up with some solutions.

We do hope you will be in Seoul again soon and would love to welcome you back to the Renaissance Seoul Hotel.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

After feeling being ripped off by the taxi driver ( knowing he took the long route to the hotel until he realized i used my own google map to track where we were going), i asked the front desk what the average cab cost should be from Gimpo airport. The frontdesk lady who seemed friendly, responded "40K KWN". I showed her the receipt that i had to pay 47K KWN due to the dishonest driver. She then changed her tone saying "oh thats right, the average is 47K." I actually asked the information desk at the airport prior to getting a taxi, and got a response of 40K KWN as well. Not a great first impression of the staff's response.

She then assigned me a room. I arrived the room and immediately can smell the stink of the old smoke still in the air. I questioned the staff who helped to carry my suitcases if the hotel is a noon-smoking hotel or if they have any rooms for smokers and if this is one of them. He responded the hotel is non-smoking facility. I then thought maybe its just me..but after staying in the room for 5 mins, my head started to hurt due to the smell. I called the front desk and asked for a room change. While the staff apologized for the inconvenience and now based on tripadvisor reviewers comment, i now realized there are rooms for smokers. i then questioned why the heck the staff wasn't honest when i asked if this is the room for smoker and if the hotel is 100% non-smoking facility.

After 15 mins wait, they finally sent someone else to give me the key for a new room. This one turned up to be alright.

I also then called the operator letting her know i would like to add my Marriott member number to the record, so i can get the points of staying at the hotel. She wouldn't even let me finish my sentence and already assumed that i was concerned about the Internet charge. She kept emphasizing i would not be charged for the Internet due to the corporate package of the booking. If she had just listened to what i had to say, i wouldn't have to wasted that time to hearing things i already know while not getting anywhere of why i called.

Not to mention the room, bathroom vanities, carpet, and furnitures look like they came out of 1980's hotel.

This is definitely not a 4 star hotel. I would rate it as 3 the most!!

Room Tip: ask for room facing the street. the ones facing the other side has terrible view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Simon B, General Manager at Renaissance Seoul Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Sharon H

On behalf of the Renaissance Seoul Hotel thank you for taking the time to write an honest and candid survey of our hotel.

Firstly please accept my apologies the hotel service and product did not meet your expectations. It seems you had a few encounters with our staff and each time our team did not take the time to properly listen to concerns. You have given me some very specific examples which I will ensure we use in our training. We spend a lot of time and energy on training our team on customer service and again I am very sorry on this occasion we just couldn't seem to get it right.

I hope you do choose to come to Seoul again in the future and I would love the opportunity to show how good the service at this hotel can be.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

It is another Marriott chain Hotel in Seoul at Gangnam. The room is a bit aged, but it is clean. The sound isolation is not that great in the restroom and you can overheard splashing of water and people chatting. The location is off the busy streets and the nearest train station is about 10 mins walks. The Spa and sauna and gym is always crowded as it also open to public membership. Something i like the best is their service as the staff in the lounge is very helpful and friendly. The morning breakfast is always crowded as there are often big tour of tourist staying here. Around the hotel (back of hotel and across the street), there are a lot of local restaurants where you can taste most of the Korean food. Overall, it is an above average hotel in my opinion due to their excellent service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Simon B, General Manager at Renaissance Seoul Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Malcolm A

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Renaissance Seoul Hotel. As a Senior Contributor we truly appreciate your candidate feedback.

It's very encouraging to hear you like the service our team provides. We spend a lot of time continually trying to improve the service we offier so I am glad that has been noticed by someone as well travelled as you.

I hope it is not too long before you visit Seoul again and all the team here look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Jakarta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stay here a number of times over the last few months. Great location in Gangnam but the hotel is now clearly showing its age. The rooms are ok in size but are now really showing their age. Food is good at breakfast, did not try other times. Would I stay here again, not sure, seems to be many more modern options readily available.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Simon B, General Manager at Renaissance Seoul Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear IndoOne

On behalf of all the ambassadors at the Renaissance Seoul Hotel thank you very much for choosing to stay with us again on your recent visit to Seoul.

I appreciate you taking the time to write a very candid and honest review of our hotel. I have shared your comments with the Senior Managers of our hotel in an effort to continue to improve the product and service we offer our guests.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback and I do hope you will visit us again in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We spent four nights at this hotel - 2 adjoining rooms for the family. The rooms are very comfortable, although in need of some updating. The staff is wonderfully accommodating and the facilities (club level, fitness center) are excellent. The breakfast that is included in the room rate was terrific, although the restaurants are very expensive otherwise. Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Simon B, General Manager at Renaissance Seoul Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Mal F

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of the Renaissance Seoul Hotel.

All of our ambassadors will be excited to hear you had such a enjoyable stay and I am very pleased to hear they all took such great care of you. Our Chefs will be especially excited to hear about how much you enjoyed our breakfast. Our team have worked very hard on improving our offerings.

Next time you visit Seoul I hope you choose to stay with us again.

Simon

Been to Renaissance Seoul Hotel? Share your experiences!