“By far my best stay ever..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel Seoul

You added JW Marriott Hotel Seoul to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel Seoul
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176, Sinbanpo-ro, Seocho-gu, Seoul 137-040, South Korea   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #9 of 421 Hotels in Seoul
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“By far my best stay ever..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at JW Marriott, Seoul for a week from 21st October, 2012. Full marks to them in all aspects. Except a small initial hiccup where they assigned me a room with queen bed (despite my file stating a King bed - which they fixed after insisting during check-in) the stay was fantastic. The rooms are awesome with a nice view of the city around you, the staff are very courteous and attentive. I had left my shirt back; they emailed me couple of days after checkout, requesting me to send my address so that they can ship my shirt, And it did arrive today !! A nice gesture by Marriott. However, I do have a suggestion - As a vegetarian, I knew it was going to be tough in Korea. I was hopping that Marriott would have a few choices in their menu which unfortunately was not the case. They could probably add a couple of stuff in their dining menu to satisfy the occasional vegans like me.

Seoul has a unique layout where everything seems to be subterranean - be it shops or cinema halls. The hotel is connected to the Shinshega Mall. It also has a huge number of shops / eateries in the basement and is connected to the Express Bus Terminal Bus Station & Subway Station (3 levels down via escalators). There is a Cinema hall too in the second basement. So essentially you will never be at loss on what to do if you are bored.

Room Tip: Try getting the rooms facing the Han river in the upper floors...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
JW_Seoul, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Seoul, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Hello this is Matthew Cooper, new General Manager at JW Marriott Seoul. I appreciate your time to share your comments with us and look forward to your return in the future. Please feel free to connect with me before your next stay on contactus.jwseoul@marriott.com.

Matthew Cooper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Stockholm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I just stayed at this hotel for 8 days for a business trip to Seoul in Oct/Nov 2012. I booked a junior suite since that gave me access to the Executive Lounge and the Spa/Health Club. The Executive lounge was great! It served a very nice breakfast and also drinks and small meals/snacks in the evenings. And the access to the Spa/Health Club was also great, BUT... There are two things I am not very happy about.

First it said on the website that a Junior Suite was 60 square meters. Well, my room was maximum 40 square meters! It consisted of a bedroom and a livingroom, rather small rooms I would say. It was definitely not 60 square meters.

The other thing was the sound of the elevator. I had room 1617 and I guess the rooms was close to the elevator shafts. Cause every time an elevator was passing by it sounded like a train passing by. This was especially disturbing in the early mornings.

Besides that the hotel was clean and nice even though it felt a bit worn. But since a brand new JW Marriott is being built in Seoul right now maybe they don't invest any money in the old one. I don't know. The staff was amazing and they really did their very best to make sure you were satisfied.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were in Seoul for one day and night due to an extended layover. We landed early morning, and when I booked I said that we needed a room ready for us to drop our stuff off, change, etc. so we could go see Seoul for the day.

When we arrived, our room was "not ready", and would be ready in an hour. They gave us passes to use their spa and change. This was the first time that that my wife and I used a Korean spa, so we were very unprepared for the experience. Also being jet lagged and tired did not help.

After our spa "experiences" our room was still not ready, and would be another hour. We went up to the lounge to wait. We sat there for another hour listening to a baby cry and waiting for our room.

After another hour I asked again. Our room was still not ready and it would be another hour! I explained that I was told we would have a room in the morning and we basically wasted all morning because of this. Within ten minutes we had a room. Why couldn't we have gotten a room right away if one was that easily available? Why did we waste two+ hours and have to use the spa to shower?

Also families with crying kids should not be allowed in an EXECUTIVE LOUNGE. Terrible experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Stayed at Park Hyatt last year and it thoroughly disappointed. The JW Marriott Seoul has numerous dining options from a deli with croisaant and sandwiches to the JW Grill with white linen table cloths. Rooms have been updated and are comfortable. Service is attentive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dallas TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nice hotel, very conveniently located right next to metro station (the name of the station is Express Bus Terminal. Tip: try to remember the way you enter, so you will know where to exit. Your exit is number 3, your rough orientation- line number 7. Seoul metro system is superb, very clean, safe and comfortable, quicker than taxi. Plus, if you are a tourist – this is interesting!).
The hotel itself is exactly what you expect from JW Marriott from all points of view: cleanness, service, design (well, except for the white goat heads everywhere, which gives a feel of shaman house (associations: death, ritual killings, fear, unsafety – definitely a wrong message for the hotel), and absolute dissonance with a general hotel style).
Rooms are comfortable and clean, everything as you expect from your JW Marriott. My only complain is noisy locks in the bathroom, so it will not give you opportunity to use this room and lock-unlock the door if your roommate is sleeping. The same situation is with the entrance door.
Executive Lounge will serve your business needs (no scanner, however) and to serve good food. What you probably will not expect from BL is a number of children at the breakfast during a weekend. Korean parents seem not to discipline children at all, so they are noisy and misbehaving. I do not really understand why small children are permitted in Bl at all – but this is a different question. The lounge was very busy anytime, evenings and mornings, sometimes with no place to sit. Overcrowded all the time. Some other JWMs offer breakfast at the restaurant, knowing the situation. Hopefully, the management will read my review and start thinking about it. Well, maybe if to get rid of prostitutes in the Lounge it gives some additional space for the guests as well? Just a though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My family was stranded in Seoul on our return trip from China to New York City due to Hurricane Sandy and we decided to stay 2 days in Seoul to wait for our re-booked flight. We picked a familiar name, JW Marriott, to stay. We booked a concierge room for $480 a night. the room was nice and had a great river view. I would have given the hotel a 5-star rating but for this little petty hotel policy: The hotel charged us 25,300KRW (about $25USD) for a small tube of toothpaste! Motel 6 would have offered us free toothpaste. I laughed out loud at the casher behind the check out counter, but she doesn't seem to know what was so funny.

Make sure to bring your own toothpaste if you stay in this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

There are many reasons this hotel is numero uno in Seoul!!! From my first encounter with the hotel staff, a welcome note from Ashley, to the goody-bye from Peter, the Guest Services Manager, every one at this JW tried to make sure this would be a memorable trip - and it was. The staff are uniformly friendly, yet very professional. The staff in the lounge wrote directions for us, in Korean, just in case we got lost. Every detail was attended to. The room was very comfortable and immaculate. Love the Toto commode - getting one for our house! Offerings in the lounge were excellent quality and introduced us to Korean cuisine. The Marquis is the best fitness facility I have ever used. The location is perfect - above a subway so you do not have to sit in traffic. My husband and I hope to be able to return. To the entire staff: Kamsahamnida!!!!

Room Tip: high floor give best view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple