“Excellent Property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel Seoul

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Hotel Seoul to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel Seoul
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176, Sinbanpo-ro, Seocho-gu, Seoul 137-040, South Korea   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #13 of 390 hotels in Seoul
Chandler, Arizona
“Excellent Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Stayed at Park Hyatt last year and it thoroughly disappointed. The JW Marriott Seoul has numerous dining options from a deli with croisaant and sandwiches to the JW Grill with white linen table cloths. Rooms have been updated and are comfortable. Service is attentive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JW_Seoul, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Seoul, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Hello this is Matthew Cooper, new General Manager at JW Marriott Seoul. I appreciate your time to share your comments with us and look forward to your return in the future. Please feel free to connect with me before your next stay on contactus.jwseoul@marriott.com.

698 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dallas TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nice hotel, very conveniently located right next to metro station (the name of the station is Express Bus Terminal. Tip: try to remember the way you enter, so you will know where to exit. Your exit is number 3, your rough orientation- line number 7. Seoul metro system is superb, very clean, safe and comfortable, quicker than taxi. Plus, if you are a tourist – this is interesting!).
The hotel itself is exactly what you expect from JW Marriott from all points of view: cleanness, service, design (well, except for the white goat heads everywhere, which gives a feel of shaman house (associations: death, ritual killings, fear, unsafety – definitely a wrong message for the hotel), and absolute dissonance with a general hotel style).
Rooms are comfortable and clean, everything as you expect from your JW Marriott. My only complain is noisy locks in the bathroom, so it will not give you opportunity to use this room and lock-unlock the door if your roommate is sleeping. The same situation is with the entrance door.
Executive Lounge will serve your business needs (no scanner, however) and to serve good food. What you probably will not expect from BL is a number of children at the breakfast during a weekend. Korean parents seem not to discipline children at all, so they are noisy and misbehaving. I do not really understand why small children are permitted in Bl at all – but this is a different question. The lounge was very busy anytime, evenings and mornings, sometimes with no place to sit. Overcrowded all the time. Some other JWMs offer breakfast at the restaurant, knowing the situation. Hopefully, the management will read my review and start thinking about it. Well, maybe if to get rid of prostitutes in the Lounge it gives some additional space for the guests as well? Just a though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My family was stranded in Seoul on our return trip from China to New York City due to Hurricane Sandy and we decided to stay 2 days in Seoul to wait for our re-booked flight. We picked a familiar name, JW Marriott, to stay. We booked a concierge room for $480 a night. the room was nice and had a great river view. I would have given the hotel a 5-star rating but for this little petty hotel policy: The hotel charged us 25,300KRW (about $25USD) for a small tube of toothpaste! Motel 6 would have offered us free toothpaste. I laughed out loud at the casher behind the check out counter, but she doesn't seem to know what was so funny.

Make sure to bring your own toothpaste if you stay in this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

There are many reasons this hotel is numero uno in Seoul!!! From my first encounter with the hotel staff, a welcome note from Ashley, to the goody-bye from Peter, the Guest Services Manager, every one at this JW tried to make sure this would be a memorable trip - and it was. The staff are uniformly friendly, yet very professional. The staff in the lounge wrote directions for us, in Korean, just in case we got lost. Every detail was attended to. The room was very comfortable and immaculate. Love the Toto commode - getting one for our house! Offerings in the lounge were excellent quality and introduced us to Korean cuisine. The Marquis is the best fitness facility I have ever used. The location is perfect - above a subway so you do not have to sit in traffic. My husband and I hope to be able to return. To the entire staff: Kamsahamnida!!!!

Room Tip: high floor give best view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had a short stay at the JW Marriott Hotel recently.

The hotel is conveniently located for central areas of Seoul, and sits right above a subway station. Options to and from the airport are a bit more hit and miss, but a taxi is not too expensive.

The room was very well appointed and very comfortable. The bathroom was of a good size and well fitted out.

It was the service though that made this stay for me. The concierge was excellent, and when my door handle broke it had been mended within minutes.

Marriott Rewards members can get free wifi - something many places still charge through the roof for. This worked fine in the room.

I'd certainly choose this hotel if I were to be in Seoul again.

Room Tip: Choosing a high room may offer a decent view. I was at the back though; assume the front would look...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

St. Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights on a business trip, we didn't spend that long in the hotel during the trip, but I will give my experience of the aspects I did see.

First, breakfast - this was pretty good even by international standards I thought, wide range and good quality ingredients.

The room was ok, medium sized and well appointed. Took a couple of minutes to figure out that one of the lights could only be controlled from the alarm clock (which itself was a bit dated and not as modern as most hotels now offer). The bed was very comfortable, there was a fairly standard selection of TV channels and there was good connectivity to the TV with cables provided to connect your laptop etc. Bathroom was large with lots of mirrors and a control panel on the side of the toilet which was new to me!

The bars - mixed bag here, fairly expensive but pleasant. In the piano bar in the atrium there was a live pianist and double bass combo on the first evening who were quite good. This bar closed at 1, and bar rouge downstairs closed the latest at 2, I was surprised that a hotel of this level didn't have a 24hr bar.

On our last evening we went in to the piano bar at about 12:20 but were almost warned away with the waitress telling us it was closing at 1, we only really wanted a snack and a coffee before bed and figured that 40 minutes was plenty of time but the waitress didn't seem to agree! We were also told that we couldn't order any food as they stopped serving at 11, luckily I had seen the room service menu and knew that all of the items on the bar's snack menu could be ordered 24hrs a day to your room, and after offering to go to my room and order the food to be delivered to the bar they relented and allowed us to order some food. They didn't have coffee on their menu though and refused to get it from anywhere else.

Room service - I ordered a burger one evening before we went to the basketball, when ordering they forgot my coke and couldn't give me any more of an idea about how long it would take other than reading out the "up to 45 minutes" line that I had already seen in the menu. The Marriott Burger was really good though, as were the chips that accompanied it. It didn't seem too expensive either considering.

The view - in a hotel this tall I expected it to be pretty amazing but there is no bar/public area on the higher floors of the hotel so staying on the 10th floor (out of 34) I was a bit disappointed with the view. A bit of exploring turned up a window in the stairwells at each end of the hotel and although this is a bit obscured on the 24th floor it's fine on the 33rd floor. Not really anywhere to sit and watch it, but enough to see it and take a couple of photos.

Sports facilities in the basement were impressive with a large pool and gym. Shorts and t-shirts were provided too which was new for me.

Check-in was fast enough and I was enrolled in the Marriott Club so I could get free wifi at the suggestion of the assisstant which was a good touch. Check-out was smooth too, although there was no option for express check-out by e-mail or paper like many hotels have these days.

Overall, the hotel is probably worthy of 4/5 but the service let it down so it only gets 3/5.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Yokosuka, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I lived in Seoul for several years before leaving in 2004 and have been back multiple times. We decided to stay at the J W Marriott because it was actually cheaper than the other comparable hotels. The quality of the rooms are on par with the Chosen, Shilla, Intercontinental, Hilton, Hyatt. The service was excellent, a concern because in general I felt that customer service in Korea overall had fallen... From taxis to dining. The staff's English ranged from fair to excellent. Only rarely did I have to use Korean in order to communicate.
I called in advance and was able to have flowers ready for my wife, a rollaway bed was prepared as requested, and the wifi was free with a Marriott membership, with sign up at the front desk.
The location is difficult to beat, aside from the hotel restaurants, the hotel is attached to Shinsegae department store... Very upscale... And to the Seoul Express Bus terminal with all of the smaller shops, coffee houses, cheaper restaurants and convenience stores. There are some nicer Korean restaurants (but not overpriced) in a neighboring building. The only thing missing is a casino and a duty free shop. If these are more important to you, you can stay at the Lotte (lower quality hotel), the Intercontinental ( in the convention area, more expensive, smaller rooms) or the Sheraton Wlaker Hill / W (way way out of the way). The Marriott is located south of the river a short distance away from both the COEX convention areas and the downtown / cultural / shopping area in the other direction. For military folks, it is just across the river from Yongsan base... Not more than $3-4 taxi ride.
The only negative thing I can mention is the exchange rate at the hotel is pretty bad... You know it's bad when the rate is better at the airport and at the casinos.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family