“Good hotel, but needs soundproofing of walls and doors” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Early offer-up to 30% OFF
Ranked #24 of 397 Hotels in Seoul
Cape Coral, Florida
“Good hotel, but needs soundproofing of walls and doors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a well appointed and nice hotel. The service was first rate and the facilities include a deli, a restaurant, a bar, swimming pool and fitness area. All areas are well maintained and kept up. Room service was impeccable, the executive lounge nice and well stocked, although the opening hours could be a bit more accommodating. Had a small weird experience during breakfast: I asked the chef to prepare an omelet and while he was preparing I roamed the buffet to look for other items. This apparently didn't please the chef, so he summoned me to "go wait at your table, please". Maybe he didn't mean to be rude, but it sure felt strange.

My issue with this hotel though is the sound proofing or better, the lack thereof in the guest floors. It seems the walls between and the doors to the rooms were made of cart board. The first night I "enjoyed" a couple loudly engaging in amorous activities, on other mornings, the maids making up the room as early as 7 am rudely woke me up. Loud talking and laughing in the hallways added to the discomfort.

Another odd thing was the fact that the a/c wasn't working in any of the rooms. My colleagues who traveled with me all had the same experience. The rooms were overheated, the a/c not working - the only way to cool down the room was to open the window. And even weirder: all of us complained about it. Technicians were sent to our rooms but nothing ever changed. It seemed to me that the whole system was shut down as other areas in the hotel were extremely warm as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the executive floors with a view of the Seoul Tower.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I just ended a 3 week stay at this wonderful hotel. I can honestly say that I have never received better service than what was provided by the lovely staff of the Grand Ambassador. And by this I mean the ENTIRE staff! There was not one aspect of our needs that was not met at any point during our stay. Every single employee that we came into contact with was professional, courteous, genuine and helpful and it was consistent across the board. Staff members are continuing to assist us even though we have now moved to an apartment. These people are incredible at making you feel welcome and comfortable. From the moment we arrived after a 15 hour flight, to the day we moved into our residence, they took care of us divinely. And the hotel itself is beautiful. The rooms are clean and quiet with a great comfy bed. The food is outstanding, the concierge a gem, and the girls at the reception on the 16th floor superb! The hotel is located within walking distance of many things and a short taxi ride to others, including Yongsan. The subway is also close by. I'm sure that this all sounds too good to be true, but it is pure honesty. I have never had a better experience. You will certainly find plenty of hotels in Seoul to choose from, but in my opinion, you will not find one with the level of service and attention to detail that this one provides you. Thank you John Nowell, Amy, and the entire staff of Grand Ambassador!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My recent stay at Grand Ambassador Seoul is great. The location of the hotel is great and it's just 10 minutes walk away from Subway Station. The room is clean and quiet. Well, it's overall a good hotel indeed. But what make it stand out is its service.

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of times in this trip, as I need to travel to other cities. The staff are polite and able to help. The front desk manager can actually tell my name when I check-in with a friendly attitude. He is responsive and willing to help for my other requests as well. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Jun Son for making my stay a great one. And I look forward to my next stay at Grand Ambassador Seoul very soon.

Just one minor comment is that the hotel did not offer free wifi even when I stayed at the executive room. And the cost of connecting internet is quite high compared to other hotel groups.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
lobbymgr, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Ambassador Seoul, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Ambassador. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

However you mentioned that Internet Connection with cost will be no more an issue from beginning of next year. Our management decided that we are going to provide it with no extra cost not just at the lobby area but also anywhere inside the hotel.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed four nights in Seoul, and chose this hotel regarding the balance between location and price. However, it was a somehow weird and disappointing stay.

The price there is really competitive, given that you hold an AdvantagePlus Platinum membership. And overall, the check-in experience is smooth, the concierge staffs are helpful.

Following the check-in, I went into my room, and somehow disappointed--space is cramped, the furnishings old. And no welcoming gift. Unloaded my lugagges, I started to check the room service menu and other hotel books. As soon as I opened a drawer, something strange lied there--four different branded condoms! Definitely it's the housekeeper's fault that she did not check thoroughly when the last guest checked-out. Later, they sent a staff to my room to take them away. And then came the welcoming gift--don't know whether it were for Platinum members or for the embrassment.

The TV in the guestroom was good, and they had fantastic HD programs there. But the mini-bar was quite noisy when running on the default temperature. I had to switch it to a higher temp when sleeping. And doing reversely during day time.

Check-out, unlike the check-in experience, was very time-consuming. It seemed some staff happened to jump the queue and do some priority service for his friend and the like.

Overall, I would recommend a stay at this hotel, only if you hold the Accor AdvantagePlus membership, regarding the special rate plans for its members. If not, then you better either pick up one around the city hall for the convenience, or one around the Apgujeong area in Gangnam or Itaewon for their trendiness.

lobbymgr, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Ambassador Seoul, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Grand Ambassador. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We should have a room ready for the guest before entering the room, It shouln't be happen something to be found by next guest. But welcoming give for platinum members should be selected by the guest, not by the hotel staff. There are selections from Perrier, San Pellegrino, Evian, Patry, and also Fruit Plate or 200 Le Club Points. So I ask your understanding that we have to wait till your dicisions is made. And I will inform all the staffs in rooms division not to interrupt check out guest. All the guests are equally important and should be treated same manner.

At Pullman, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The staff at the Front Desk and Bell Desk were very helpful and efficient, and the (male) staff generally speak good English.

I had an enjoyable stay and have already booked my next stay at the same hotel later in the year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Location is ideal but was disappointed with the service.

I checked in around midnight. As I enter the hotel I was faced with red sofa in front of me and it took me a while to see where the check-in counter is. At such weird timing I will expect a staff to greet me at the door. If it is their peak period and they are busy i'll understand, but it is dead quiet. The next day I saw a 'welcomer' desk at the side of the entrance. I definitely do not feel welcome.

My room doesnt include breakfast and upon asking the price the staff says if i reserve in advance i'll get a discount. I was too tired from the flight and i say i'll consider. After taking a shower to freshen up I call to reserve for breakfast tmr and was told the discount price only available during check-in. The staff should clarify 'in advance'. I already called 12hrs in advance.

The next night I had early meeting the following day and called room service to order breakfast in advance and deliver at 7am. She actually told me to call back in the morning. What is wrong with this hotel? I just want to rest with a piece of mind after planning everything for the next day and not wake up to arrange and plan my breakfast or activities. Thankfully after I insisted and she, checking with the kitchen said it's possible.

Another hiccup is prior to arriving I called to check if adding extra bed is possible. I wanted to add on the spot but because my online transaction hasnt been processed Lee from the reservation desk told me to request during checkin. And due to my flight I checkin at midnight and hence was told no extra bed is available and my guest has to sleep on the floor.

The bellman (woman) however made me think twice about the poor service i've encountered so far. She's very polite and professional. I wish she opened my door when I checkin and i will hv a more pleasant experience.

I'm staying here till 29th and hope they can reverse my perception of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Got this hotel in one of the reggular hotel sales, it was an easy choce really. Good 4.5 star hotel, very close to the city (many are not) at an extremely good price. Location is very convenient and hospitality was excellent.

For those travelling from the airport would suggest you get the fast train to the city and taxi from there, very cheap taxis in Seoul. We also caught the bus back out, while this is a very pleasent trip, the train and taxi combination is actually both cheaper and faster. Some very interesting places to visit near to this hotel, ask the concierge and get them to translate in Korean, fortuanteluy it seems the Grand Ambassador is well known to get back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Ambassador Seoul? Share your experiences!