“Truly lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Seoul COEX

You added InterContinental Seoul COEX to your Saves list
InterContinental Seoul COEX
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   524 Bongeunsa-ro, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 135-975, South Korea (Formerly COEX InterContinental Seoul)   |
Hotel deals
“Truly lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

In a word wow
Perfect hotel… Spotlessly clean, awesome,service
Room is perfect, modern and clean.
TV focused on local content. They need HBO to give the westerners something to watch
The gym is amazing, clearly open to the public, full of local men doing their morning rituals. They provide shorts and shirts which is handy for controlling laundry usage.
The breakfast is expensive but the quality superb.
No milk in the rooms is strange but this is Asia so I drank my tea black.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review and feedback after your recent stay with us here in Seoul, much appreciated.

It is always great to read when people truly enjoy their stay with us and even better to see the smile on our teams faces when we share this with them.
We have just upgraded our TV system and included many more international channels but will share your feedback in relation to the movie channel.

Thanks again for your fantastic feedback and we hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to Seoul.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Frankly I am not fully in touch with the cost of living here in South Korea, this being only my 2nd trip to the country, and South Korea being a country with one of the highest population density in the world. In short, living space is pricey.
The rooms are reasonably spacious, relatively. The services and restaurants are good. I did not encounter any problem during my stay. The concierge was very helpful and conversed in reasonably good English.

If you are a smoker and flew in from a warm country, pick a room on the 'smoking floor'. Note that they don't have any smoking area anywhere in the lobby or near the restaurants. They will expect you to smoke under the trees outside. After dinner in wintertime, it will be minus 10 to minus 14 Celcius. If you can't refrain from smoking for the night, a smoke in your bathroom in your room, with bathroom door closed, would be an acceptable last resort.
The 'smoking floor' unfortunately, smells of cigarettes smokes as the lift door opens. For the room rates, I think the hotel could invest in an air-purifier.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker and flew in from a warm country, pick a room on the 'smoking floor'. Not...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and experience after your recent stay with us here in Seoul, much appreciated.

Effective last year the Korean government made it mandatory for all public areas indoors to become smoke free and naturally for our smoking customers this has made life a little difficult.
Whilst I can understand your standing I would not recommend for our guests to smoke in the bathrooms, not only for your own safety but that of our other customers as well.

I will sit and speak with our housekeeping team and review the smoking floors and see how we can improve and again thank you for sharing your views.

Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I would advise their Board to get some competent managers in to run the place sympathetic to the needs of clients who do not have time to waste.

Waiting in the queue with 20 others for breakfast I noted just one single person was processing the queue. First thumbing through pages to check parties in and then escorting them to their table some distance away - abandoning her desk.

When she stopped to chat on the phone leaving us waiting, I complained at the nearby desk. Nothing was done so we just walked in anyway, when she next abandoned her desk.

See the multiple flaws in all that ? What is the point of annoying you clients so?

Other Niggles:-

Drinks in the lobby on arrival were very over priced.

The room was comfortable but no milk in the fridge for tea with a $12 charge for that to be brought to the room.

Then I found there was an extra charge on top of the room cost for two occupants.

Then I found there was an obligatory service charge on top of the room charge.

The manage said the room charge was in for gratuities. I said I like to choose when to tip according to service and I declined in this case.

But no, I had to pay because he had my Visa number on computer from the booking.

Niggles mount up and make one angry. Instead of enjoying a stay at an expensive hotel

The visit there was to organize a big international conference at COEX, my recommendations to delegates will be clear.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if : - value for money is important to you or your business - if you are time...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience after your recent stay with us here in Seoul.
My apologies for the small niggles as you have expressed them and of course I can completely understand how they mount up to make things worse, something that we always strive to avoid.

Our usual high levels of service and attention to detail is what we tend to more regularly receive comments on, however in your case, its seems we have dropped the ball and again my apologies.

I shall send you a private email through the email account linked here on TripAdvisor and hope to be able to make contact with you to investigate your case in more detail.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing back from you at your convenience.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I booked for four nights at InterContinental Seoul Coex and stayed for two. Originally, there on a business trip I had planned to spend two further days on holiday leave but was so enraged by the costs laid on at every transaction that I checked out early. On the top of the already very high room rate of about $300 per night, there is an additional daily 'service' charge, but, here is the catch... every time you use a service you are charged again. The first hint of trouble was the glass of milk I ordered for my tea, $12 for a single glass of milk - naturally, there was a service charge included. My husband was travelling with me and there an additional occupancy charge for that - for sharing the same bed! (does this mean the other half of the bed was available for 'occupancy'?!). Coffee and tea are around $17-18 per cup. It is not just the charges, which by any standard are ridiculous, it is the sense that you are being exploited at every turn. Very inhospitable. If the money is coming out of your own pocket, you are likely to feel very angry, and if it is coming out of someone else's, it is very very hard to justify. A place to avoid.

Room Tip: Get all charges, including service charges, in writing at the time of booking. Apply your currency...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Karen,

Greetings from Seoul and thanks for your feedback after your recent stay.

Naturally I was disappointed to read of your unhappiness in your stay especially in relation to the pricing and service charge component. I will definitely share and check on your feedback personally with the team especially as to why you have been charged for the milk...

Hailing from Australia myself, naturally not all things are always the same as our home country and certainly takes some time to adjust and accept the local customs and ways.
That said, I can understand your frustration and feeling and apologize for the inconvenience.

I will send you a private email to the email address here on TripAdvisor to try and look deeper into your visit and hope that you will get back in touch with me at your convenience.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Nearby restaurant and shops.
My friend told me there was a very nice Korean Restaurant opposite the Hotel, but I have no chance to try it.
Love the long pillow and the huge king size bed, very comfortable.
Disappointed with the WIFI, which is only at lobby and charges apply if use in room.

Room Tip: High Floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel, much appreciated.
With literally hundreds of restaurants and bars in the local district one thing is for sure is that no guest will ever be left short on choices however, we also so have some great options within the hotel itself which we hope you did get to try...?

On the Internet issue, our hotel is now offering free Internet to our loyal IHG Rewards Club members from January the 1st which unfortunately you have missed out on this visit, however next time should you return to Seoul you will find that we will be offering this service in all the public areas and in the rooms.

If you are not already, I would suggest that you join the IHG Rewards Club program to start earning your way to free stays and more importantly, free Internet usage during your stay at all hotels.

Thanks once again for your feedback and comments and I hope that should you return to Seoul that you will again choose the InterContinental Seoul, Coex.

Dusseldorf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is a high quality full service hotel, I stayed for a week in November 2013 and everything was perfect.I had club lounge access which was vey good for breakfast and evening snacks when I was by myself. I also used the lounge for some business meetings during the day. The club lounge staff were excellent!. My room on the 6th floor was very comfortable with everything I needed including a complimentary mobile phone, good fast Internet and a well stocked mini bar. The gym and spa was the best I have ever experienced, the pool was very big and always empty, the gym was massive and had a huge amount of equipment. The spa was fantastic, three pools, sauna, steam room, massage baths etc. The COEX shopping centre was being renovated during my stay which was a slight disappointment but apart from that everything was excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent fantastic review of our hotel, much appreciated.

The team will be very happy to read your great comments and I will be sure to pass them on in our daily briefings.

As you have highlighted, our Cosmopolitan Fitness Center truly is a fantastic venue with an equally great view out over a 1200 yr old Buddhist Temple.

The hotel completed a full renovation just over a year ago and continues to receive very positive feedback on the works done, including yours so again thank you.

The Mall will begin to reopen again in stages from March of this year and will truly be a great addition to what is already a convenient and bustling part of Seoul.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Seoul.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Overall the standard of this hotel is very good. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The lobby area very busy with plenty of staff to help. Reception staff were very helpful and spoke good English. Unfortunately the prices are much too high. The equivalent of over £10 for a coffee or a cold soft drink cannot be justified. The food was so expensive that we had to leave the hotel even for breakfast. The prices spoiled what otherwise would have been a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, much appreciated.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall however naturally I was disappointed that you found our food and beverage services expensive and apologies for this.

Whilst Seoul certainly is not the cheapest city we do believe compared the levels of service and hospitality that we provide and that of our competitors that our prices are satisfactory, however I will speak with the team and see if there is any areas we can revise.

With the hotel surrounded with literally hundreds of restaurants and bars our guests are never short on choices however we need to remain competitive and will take a look at where we can make our offerings better value.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Seoul.

Best Regards

Been to InterContinental Seoul COEX? Share your experiences!