“Friendly, convenient, cheap” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dongdaemun Hostel

You added Dongdaemun Hostel to your Saves list
Dongdaemun Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   329, Toegye-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea (Dongdaemun / Sindangdong)   |
Ranked #144 of 380 Specialty Lodging in Seoul
Taoyuan, Taiwan
“Friendly, convenient, cheap”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The inn is literally right next to a convenience store and just outside of the Dongdaemun History and Culture Park metro stop. Most important though is the super friendly attitudes and helpfulness of the staff (who speak great English, by the way). They were always willing to answer questions or just chat, even in the middle of the night. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

A great hostel for budget tourists. The location is very close to DongDaeMun Market and subway. Room is small but I think is enough for 1 person. People are very nice and the hostel is very clean. It is my first choice of choosing place in Seoul:D

• Stayed December 2012
Columbia, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

So, the good news is that this place is very close to the metro (take Line 4 to Dongdaemun Cultural Park, take exit 4, and the hostel is about 30 meters ahead on your left), close to crazy shopping, has cheap single rooms, friendly staff, and is reasonably okay for a hostel. The bad news: they still haven't learned how to clean showers (not terrible, but the old soap was still there and there is already a bit of mildew forming), the shower is in the toilet stall (as in your can shower and pee at the same time, difficult to explain but I'm not a huge fan); the heat is like the energizer bunny without an off switch; the windows are tiny and don't really open to the outside (there is another window outside of your window); and in my case neither the duvet or the bottom bet covering were all that appealing. FYI, I paid 36,000 KRW a night, the list price is 42,000 but some booking agencies charge quite a bit more than that. Look around on this one.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Tehran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

**Rooms and the Quality**
I have been in DongDaemon Hostel from 20 to 26 August 2012. In my opinion, this hostel is the best in its kind because it provides everything that a tourist may need, with the minimum price and satisfying quality. Although it is a hostel, its rooms are private so you have a bed, a bath room and shower, a refrigerator, a desk, a monitor to watch local TV, and a dresser for yourself in your own room with air-conditioning system. You will find it amazing that all of these things are placed in a very small but efficiently equipped space. I found my room lovely and it completely fulfilled my needs. Besides, the hostel provides an unbelievable free amount of Internet bandwidth (more than 3MB/s).
**Location and Area**
The most amazing thing about this hostel is that it is unbelievably close to everywhere you might want to go in Seoul. It is just 20 meter from Dongdaemon subway station, which is a intersection of three subway lines, so you can efficiently chose your path in the subway system. Also it is close to "east gate" and two most popular palaces in Seoul. You can reach these palaces just within 15 minutes using subway (including the time you spend walking underground).This is the same time you need to reach Insa-dong market, National Theater, and Gyeongbokgung and Gyeongbokgung palaces. In fact there are only 3 to 4 subway station between these locations and Dongdaemon hostel.
Dongdaemon hostel is placed close to Dongdaemon Market which is a very famous place in Seoul so whenever you get lost, it is enough to ask where you can go to Dongdaemon market (or subway station). Everyone knows how to help you to get there, so you won't get lost. :-) in my opinion, Dongdaemon station is kind of "Silky Way" which links cultural, historical and market places to everywhere.
The most amazing thing about the Dongdaemon hostel is that it has just 7 minutes walk from "Cheonggye Stream". It is a stream 4 meter under the surface of the ground, and is a very lovely, refreshing, relaxing, beautiful streams ever! I am sure you will love to walk around this stream in the evenings. It is interesting that the government has revived this stream from death by manually recreating its ecosystem.
** Accessibility**
Right in front of Dongdaemon hostel, there is a bus station from Airport and also City Tour Buses which is a system designed for tourists who want to visit Seoul in one day. These busses take you to all of the attractive and historical places in Seoul. Also being so close to a direct air-port bus is very important because when for the first time you arrive to south Korea and know nothing about the places and locations, it will really make your arrival pleasant and easy. For me, that was very helpful because at the first day, right after my check in I had to participate on a conference so I have no time to wandering around searching directions to find the location of my hostel. I just take off the bus and Dongdaemon Hostel where there for me right before my eyes.
**Stuff**
There are two persons (Jay and Emma) working in Dongdaemon hostel and both of them speak English fluently. They are unimaginably kind and warm persons who will always help you in lots of things; finding directions, getting information about Seoul, foods and everything else. They are very sociable and charming so you can find it easy to talk to them about your experiences in Seoul. Being around them, you do not feel lonely in Korea. I am really impressed by their manners.
I owe them a lot because when I have forgotten to bring my wallet after I have left the hostel, they gave it back to me running after my bus which was heading to the airport! Just imagine such chivalry and kindness! I will never forget their helps.

Mitra (from Iran)

Room Tip: If you are a solo visitor, use single room with private bath room and shower.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were able to book the 3 beds room during our stay. it's basically like our own studio apartment. Downside is that there is no elevator in the building so you have to use the stairs to go to the top floor, where our room is located. It's only our room and the roof top patio on the top floor so we have complete privacy during our stay. They also have a common kichen which have all the basic necessities and they have a free self service breakfast. The hostel is located on above a 24 hours convinient store so no need to worry about late night cravings! It's basically a few steps to the subway and bus stop to/from the airport!!!! Jay, the manager and his staff Emma, are the nicest and friendliest people ever!!!!!! We had to make a request through Jay and he didn't hesitate to help us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

When booking a hostel I only expect a quiet, clean place and, depending on the budget, better mattress or better services. In this hostel's case, paying a bit more than 30 euro/night anything just clean and quiet would do it.
Before my arrival, I was asked to confirm the arrival time, which I did, but then nobody was there. I rang the doorbell and phoned then for 30 minutes and finally someone replied to the phone and sent a girl downstairs. Nobody ever apologized.
The room was tiny, which I don't really mind, but it was dirty. Had soap on the sink, the glass on the shower hadn't been cleaned for I don't know how long, the wall had big brown and red stains next to the 80 cms wide bed. I understand budget hostels can't afford better furniture or services but, if they don't keep the place clean and make you wait for 30 minutes outside, it's entirely a lack of interest.
My room only had a tiny window that faced the corridor between it and the reception, which was 2 meters away. Check ins and out, I could hear all them anytime on the day.
To say a good thing about this hostel, it was well located, next to Dongdaemun market so you can shop around until 5 am if you want. But, taxis are quite cheap in Seoul so staying a bit further from the market shouldn't be a problem either.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Though the room space is small, the service and the staff are wonderful and nice!!
If u go by yourself, good to stay a hostel like this! Clean, comfortable and convenient!!!!
It is 15 mins from Dongdaemun! I can shop till mid night and walk to hostel quickly :) really good

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Dongdaemun Hostel? Share your experiences!