“Helpfull staff welcomed me as family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse

You added Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse to your Saves list
Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   570-16 Yeonnam-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul 121-869, South Korea (Hongdae)   |
Ranked #132 of 380 Specialty Lodging in Seoul
Budapest, Hungary
“Helpfull staff welcomed me as family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was traveling to Korea from Europe so the place and culture was really foreign to me. I prepared a lot in advance but still needed help with some things like booking a curise or flight ticket to Jeju island. The staff was really helpfull helping me with everything. They welcomed me as a part of their family and soon I felt like I came home when I get back to the guesthouse. It is a small house so if you stay longer you will get to know other guests too and can hang out together. I really enjoyed my stay here. I could cook in the kitchen, use the computers, wash my clothes and the free coffee helped me to wake up ealry morning.
I could recommend this guesthouse to everyone! I will definately come back again.
Thank you so much! ♥

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Hey guys

Stayed at this place for almost 8 days but couldnt hack it anymore due to loud residents and dirty bathrooms/toilets

1 toilet was blocked with poop and another bathroom had vomit in the sink

Had to change to a hotel due to bad conditions, however on the plus side the staff were friendly and will help where possible if required

I would recommend this place for short stays

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
carter0401, 매니저 at Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Hello Antoine,

This is Carter, Manager of Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse.

Foremost, I apologize for your bad experiences during your stay with us. As for the problems with the restrooms, we apologize for that, we will begin to enforce multiple restroom checks throughout the day in the morning, day, and night to prevent this from happening again. As for the noise, we do not enforce a curfew to allow our guests to maximize their activities, but the noise is outside our control. We will do our best to better inform our guests to be quiet during nighttime and be more corteous to fellow guests so we can enjoy our time here.

We apologize, and thank you for your stay. We are glad the staff was good to you, we will work harder from now on!

- Carter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2015

I went to Korea this March and stayed about 4 days in Kimchee Hongdae.IT WAS AWESOME!!
Carter was SO VERY KIND, HELPFUL, GENTLE, KIND,CARING AND ALL!!
I like traveling, so I kinda go in and out many guesthouses but I never meet a staff like him. Which is incredibly kind. Also Jackie which is so humble and I like her too..
I like being in this Kimchee Hongdae coz everyone here feels like a family. I didn't find any trouble when I'm in Korea and that's thx to Carter and Jackie..
I stayed in another Guesthouse before I stay in Kimchee Hongdae , and Kimchee is totally better!

Close to subway station,cheap price, clean bathrooms, clean and fully equipped kitchen,very fast Wifi,nice staffs. Oh except this one Caucasian staff(I dont remember his name) Idk what was his problem but He was so weird and didn't talk much to me and my friend. But he was okay to another guests. Was it because we're Asian and maybe he thought we don't speak English. But still, I think he was rude .
Anyway he was okay with another guest so don't worry! LOL.
I definitely recommend you guys to stay in Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse! ♥♥♥♥

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2015

Stayed here while in Seoul and the pictures are definitely not representative of this hostel. Think back to the MySpace days when the chubby emo girl could take a really good angled photo and make you think she's a 10. Then you meet up with her and you wonder what happened. This is Kimchee Guesthouse in a nutshell.

First of all the entrance leads right into a cramped close-quartered stairwell and the common room, check in, breakfast area is all in the basement. As soon as you walk into the common lounge you are hit with how tiny this place really is. The kitchen, check-in, lounge, sink, washroom, and main dinner table are all packed into an area about the size of a medium sized bedroom. I was legitimately floored at how small it was because the photos made the area look a lot bigger.

Secondly, the lounge was not ever as tidy or maintained as you see in the photos. There were always pillows, blankets, flyers, cups, and wires tossed everywhere. To add to this mess, I am not sure if the people that were there when I was there were guests or workers... I would like to touch on two things here:
1. If you are a guest here, I don't want to come down to the common area to use the wifi and have to step over your passed out body in the lounge because you had been drinking the night before (I like to party myself but have some courtesy).
2. If you are a worker here, I ALSO don't want to come down to the common area to use the wifi and have to step over your passed out body in the lounge. The latter in this case is super unprofessional and you're not doing the hostel you work for any favors by looking like a beached whale in an area where your guests pass by. (Will probably upload photos at a later date of this)

I don't know who runs the place, but it was definitely lacking in management and professionalism. Felt more like staying at a frat house than a hostel at times. Minus Lidya, she was a cool Korean gal who was pretty nice and easy on the eyes. And another dude with short dark hair. Those two were alright.

Toilet seat was broken the entire time we were there so it felt like a slip and slide every time you tried to sit down. The water pressure in the showers was kinda odd and the hot water would surge in the showers. The washrooms are also shared so there's only 3 washrooms WITH THE SHOWER IN THEM (1 for each gender and 1 communal) so you're SOL if you don't get up early enough to use the shower or if someone takes a long dump and all you want to do is hop in and out.

The beds are rickety and feel as if they could fall apart (actually the ladder and railing DID come apart. They are just these weird clip in type metal furnishings.)

Lastly, on the morning of our check-out no one was at the counter so ended up just booking it back to the airport. Thanks for the stay Kimchee I'm really happy someone was there to assist me. Oh, but I did enjoy hearing the snores of your passed out workers in the lounge one last time as I was looking for someone to give a heads up about check-out. Stay classy.

Wouldn't ever stay here again/ Wouldn't recommend, and legitimately baffled that it has gotten so much positive reviews.

Room Tip: Choose a room not at Kimchee Guesthouse.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2015 via mobile

Lidya was really helpful when we needed help to arrange for our tour to the dmz.She was really nice and made us feel really comfortable and at home.

• Stayed December 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

pros-
-great location in a really fun neighborhood of seoul. also, hongik univ. metro station in on the airport train line, so convenient for coming to/from the airport (incheon).

cons-
-really flimsy beds. if you are on the top bunk, it's hard to climb up without feeling like you're going to tip the bed over. also the "ladder" step are extremely uncomfortable and basically HURT the bottoms of your feet. i stayed here twice and had to have a top bunk both times.
-i booked a bed in the ten bed dorm in the middle of the week because i thought there wouldn't be many people and i would surely be able to have a bottom bunk. i get there and they put me in a six bed dorm because there isn't anyone in the ten bed dorm (aka, the reason i wanted to book it in the first place.) they are just lazy and didn't want to clean two rooms. as there were already three people in the six bed dorm, i had to have the top bunk AGAIN. it's fine to move a customer to a different room than the one they booked if you ASK them if it's okay. i would not stay here again only because they put in on the top bunk no matter hwat i do.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

I booked this place for 2 people. It's a comfortable room. The free breakfast is good enough to make us full for the morning. The staff are nice. The toilet is shared and it's also clean. The location is a little bit far from the subway station. But the environment is quite :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse? Share your experiences!