“Pretty good for your bucks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mare Seoul

You added Hotel Mare Seoul to your Saves list
Hotel Mare Seoul
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   341, Cheonho-daero, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul 130-030, South Korea   |
Ranked #264 of 409 Hotels in Seoul
San Jose
“Pretty good for your bucks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

Pretty good for your bucks.
Free mini bar, free internet, welcoming gift, free breakfast, free popcorn and coffee were pretty interesting.
A bit far from the city center(about 20min) but 5min walk to the good subway line.
Not the best in the world. Yet, the price is decent and excellent service.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

the hotel is in the middle of two subway stations, so u have to walk 15 min to each station. the room is tiny but clean. Equipments in room are impressive. Room offer PC and free internet and free movie. Tv in the room is 52 inches. All in minibar were free. the room has thick window that can protect us from outside traffic and the early light of summer. Breakfast is the most disappointed. It said American breakfast but all u can find are Orange juice, toast and congee. Staff were helpful and nice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I originally booked this hotel for 4 nights in mid March 2010. It was a horrible experience. I was severely disappointed upon seeing my room (on the 7th floor). I found random hairs under the covers of the bed and on one of the pillows. Hair on the bed was the least of my worries as the bathroom was the real problem. The bathroom trash bin had used toilet paper in it. I saw a bar of used soap on the soap stand and a used tube of toothpaste. These, I assume, were the hotel amenities. The sink itself had mold all around it (especially the part where the back of the sink touched the wall) and the base of the sink stand and the tiles around it were all rusted. I also then found a long piece of hair hanging from one of the towels on the shelf. The final straw was when I saw a spider crawling on the side of the bathtub. It was very clear that the hotel had not been rennovated as it claimed to be in the hotel description.

I spent 1 uncomfortable night then wanted to check out as I could not fathom staying another 3 nights there. This was when the hotel manager lost his cool and became very hostile with me. He didn't want to let me check out early without paying a penalty fee of 1 night's rent. I called up the customer service department of the website through which I had booked the hotel through. They agreed with me that I should not have to pay the penalty and told this to the manager. At hearing this, he became even more angry and ended the call with the customer service department. He proceeded to yell at me and said I was causing problems for him and his hotel. He wanted me to go into the elevator and my hotel room alone with him because he wanted me to show him my room and what I had problems with. I refused because I definitely did not want to be alone with him in any situation given the fact that he was so angry.

I have travelled and lived abroad in several Asian countries before and have NEVER felt threatened or scared during my travels. This was honestly the first time that I felt scared because of the actions of the manager at the Hotel Mare. This escalated situation arose from false advertisement on the hotel's part and I do not want other travelers to experience what I had to go through. The hotel is a motel charging hotel prices. The staff there have no understanding of what customer service is and have completely overstepped the boundaries by yelling at a customer.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Mare Seoul? Share your experiences!