“Quaint but No Recommendation” 2 of 5 stars

45-89 Pyeong-chang-dong Jongno-gu, Seoul 110-847, South Korea   |
Ranked #231 of 593 Seoul B&B and Inns
4.0 of 5 stars 5 Reviews
Victoria, Canada
“Quaint but No Recommendation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

I stayed at the Morning Calm Bed & Breakfast in September 2010. I left the second night of my 3 night reservation. The home is quaint although dark and not clean to my standards (quite cluttered). It was not unclean but I prefer sparse, very clean spaces. There were a number of 'deficiencies' that negatively impacted my experience. The bathroom door handle broke off in my hand on my first day leaving me trapped in the shared bathroom (with no windows) for over an hour. I'm a petite female not known for my strength. The hand held shower 'wand' is just that - the wall mount is broken so you are forced to hold the hose during the full one-handed shower. The bathroom has numerous used soap dregs and multiple used toothbrushes on the counter (who they belong to I have no idea; there was only 1 other guest using the shared bathroom). The breakfast was salad, curry and rice which makes me wonder what they had for dinner. The other guests brought their own cereal and juice which I envied. I think staying closer to downtown would be better. Be sure to go out at night; everything looks so different with the evening lighting.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Couples
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

A charming traditional korean home about a 20 minute bus ride from City Hall.
Nothing seemed too much trouble for our hosts. My Han speaks pretty good english but his wife only quite a little.
I enjoyed the traditional Korean food for breakfast, but it won't be to everybodys taste (including my wife who wouldn't eat much of it at all).
We asked Mr Han to organise a taxi for us from the airport, and for 95000 won he personally came to the airport and escorted us back in an airport shuttle.
He will provide instructions with various options to get to his place, but if you want to find your own way there then I would not recommend trying to go the whole way on public transport the first time (catch the airport limosine and get a taxi from where it drops you).
Once you know the place you can easily get to and from the middle of Seoul using public transport. We did have a couple of issues with his transport instructions and suggested a couple of changes to them but I don't know if he will use these suggestions.
The main problem was with the 06 local bus which takes you to within just a few meters of Morning Calm. The instructions said to get off at the second stop, but if it didn't stop at the first stop then you won't know where the second stop is and will probably get carried past it as we did. My suggestion is to press the Stop button once the bus starts going up the hill and then get off when it stops a few hundred meters later. Also be aware that although the instructions say this bus runs every half hour, we discovered that the driver takes a meal break instead of doing the 8pm run.
The room we stayed in was reasonably spacious with a TV and a couple of chairs as well as the bed (TV only had local content - no English shows). The ensuite is quite compact but adequate.
Our daughter stayed in a seperate room without an ensuite and which did not have heaps of space, but once again was quite adequate.
The matresses are quite hard by western standards, but I slept well. The room was well heated (floor heating). We were never cold and needed to open windows to keep the room down to a reasonable temperature (even though it was quite cold outside a couple of days).
The hearby park is not the sort with gardens and lawns, but with trails and mountains to climb. I enjoyed a walk there most mornings of our stay.
There are restuarants in the local shops, but I'm not sure if any of them speak English. Mr Han wrote us some instructions in Korean to take and show at the local Korean restuarant. There is a reasonable supermaket in the village, and also a bank with ATMs that accept foreign cards (not all Korean ATMs will accept foreign cards).
Overall I would recommend Morning Calm if you want somewhere quiet to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
L.A.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I can't add too much more to my review based on the first one. The owner Han speaks and reads English very well. I was able to check-in from my early morning arrival and powernap for a couple hours. Their home is very authentic with many crafts and collectibles adorning the walls and tables.
Han communicates well through email so any and all requests will be considered. The only downside is the location. A bit of a bus ride or Taxi to their home and the hill is steep to walk especially if your jet-lagged. The location of their home is in the northern suburbs. Not much around to do (it's near some schools) but there are places to eat by ten minutes walking.
The upside is the care and attention made for the guest. I was able to nap, given directions and maps on where to go in town, had a great Korean breakfast the following morning, and was offered a Jacket, hat, and thermals since it was so cold there (18F when I arrived). I wish I had more time to stay so I could learn more about Han and his wife.
This B & B came recommended and I will recommend it as well. Hope to return to it if I ever travel back to Seoul again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Boulder City, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

If you want a real Korean experience that you won't get from a motel, stay at B&B Morning Calm. My family of four with two children ages 6 and 9 stayed there for 3 nights. We enjoyed it especially for its food and the kindess and helpfulness of its hosts.

We arrived in the later evening tired from our U.S. flight and a weird Seoul taxi driver (the only strange one we ever encountered in Korea) and were let in the gate and introduced into the warm house where we promptly went to bed. It was cold outside and it was the first time we had floor heating. We stayed warm and the beds were comfortable. There were a couple of issues with mosquitoes and dogs barking and some of us slept better than others but overall we did okay sleeping. The first night we had separate rooms and after than we all four shared one and though it was crowded it was cozy and warm. We had to keep the luggage off the floor as they were authentic paper floors that could scratch. As I haven't used a hostel since I was in my 20s I had to adjust to sharing one bathroom with many people (there were lots of visitors during our stay) but once I was used to it I was happy.

The three best things about Morning Calm were the food, the helpfulness of the hosts, and the artwork. Without this stay, I would never have seen a real Korean household or eaten such non-Western breakfasts (bowls of pork dumplings in broth, sweet glazed walnuts, kimchee, noodles, bibimbap, a Korean frittatta type omelet, etc). Jang Younghee is an excellent cook and so gracious! I lived for those morning meals. They made coffee on my request and served it in dainty English chinaware. Tea was served in Korean teaware, which I had never seen before so I was thankful for learning about a new way to brew tea.

When we were ready to tour Seoul, our host Han Sungho gave us written directions to which buses we needed. He provided printouts of itineraries we could use and various bus schedules. He gave us a map and even lent us two T-money cards with balances! It was nice talking with him because that was the only English conversations we had in Seoul.

The artwork was a mixture of Aisan and European works and many antiques, as posted on their website. I wish I had had more time to explore the art, but I enjoyed looking at them as I went up and down the stairs and in the breakfast rooms. The stairs themselves were beautiful, rich dark wood polished to a shine and adorned with brass railings. They also had a large, pretty garden. We didn't have time to explore it, but I imagine in the summer it would be wonderful.

We found that our stay was best when we shared a room as this cut down on the expense, although it's not an expensive place to stay. You will need to take taxis and buses to get to it and a T-money card is useful. One night we had a snafu with transportation and ended up walking up the lanes to the house--it is incredibly steep and not advisable in the cold after a long day! But it's actually a very nice neighborhood.

Overall we highly recommend B&B Morning Calm.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to B and B Morning Calm? Share your experiences!