“An authentic Korean experience in this home.” 4 of 5 stars

B and B Morning Calm
45-89 Pyeong-chang-dong Jongno-gu, Seoul 110-847, South Korea   |
Ranked #177 of 520 Seoul B&B and Inns
L.A.
“An authentic Korean experience in this home.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I can't add too much more to my review based on the first one. The owner Han speaks and reads English very well. I was able to check-in from my early morning arrival and powernap for a couple hours. Their home is very authentic with many crafts and collectibles adorning the walls and tables.
Han communicates well through email so any and all requests will be considered. The only downside is the location. A bit of a bus ride or Taxi to their home and the hill is steep to walk especially if your jet-lagged. The location of their home is in the northern suburbs. Not much around to do (it's near some schools) but there are places to eat by ten minutes walking.
The upside is the care and attention made for the guest. I was able to nap, given directions and maps on where to go in town, had a great Korean breakfast the following morning, and was offered a Jacket, hat, and thermals since it was so cold there (18F when I arrived). I wish I had more time to stay so I could learn more about Han and his wife.
This B & B came recommended and I will recommend it as well. Hope to return to it if I ever travel back to Seoul again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

5 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Boulder City, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

If you want a real Korean experience that you won't get from a motel, stay at B&B Morning Calm. My family of four with two children ages 6 and 9 stayed there for 3 nights. We enjoyed it especially for its food and the kindess and helpfulness of its hosts.

We arrived in the later evening tired from our U.S. flight and a weird Seoul taxi driver (the only strange one we ever encountered in Korea) and were let in the gate and introduced into the warm house where we promptly went to bed. It was cold outside and it was the first time we had floor heating. We stayed warm and the beds were comfortable. There were a couple of issues with mosquitoes and dogs barking and some of us slept better than others but overall we did okay sleeping. The first night we had separate rooms and after than we all four shared one and though it was crowded it was cozy and warm. We had to keep the luggage off the floor as they were authentic paper floors that could scratch. As I haven't used a hostel since I was in my 20s I had to adjust to sharing one bathroom with many people (there were lots of visitors during our stay) but once I was used to it I was happy.

The three best things about Morning Calm were the food, the helpfulness of the hosts, and the artwork. Without this stay, I would never have seen a real Korean household or eaten such non-Western breakfasts (bowls of pork dumplings in broth, sweet glazed walnuts, kimchee, noodles, bibimbap, a Korean frittatta type omelet, etc). Jang Younghee is an excellent cook and so gracious! I lived for those morning meals. They made coffee on my request and served it in dainty English chinaware. Tea was served in Korean teaware, which I had never seen before so I was thankful for learning about a new way to brew tea.

When we were ready to tour Seoul, our host Han Sungho gave us written directions to which buses we needed. He provided printouts of itineraries we could use and various bus schedules. He gave us a map and even lent us two T-money cards with balances! It was nice talking with him because that was the only English conversations we had in Seoul.

The artwork was a mixture of Aisan and European works and many antiques, as posted on their website. I wish I had had more time to explore the art, but I enjoyed looking at them as I went up and down the stairs and in the breakfast rooms. The stairs themselves were beautiful, rich dark wood polished to a shine and adorned with brass railings. They also had a large, pretty garden. We didn't have time to explore it, but I imagine in the summer it would be wonderful.

We found that our stay was best when we shared a room as this cut down on the expense, although it's not an expensive place to stay. You will need to take taxis and buses to get to it and a T-money card is useful. One night we had a snafu with transportation and ended up walking up the lanes to the house--it is incredibly steep and not advisable in the cold after a long day! But it's actually a very nice neighborhood.

Overall we highly recommend B&B Morning Calm.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to B and B Morning Calm? Share your experiences!