“Best hinkalis in town” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Tallinn
“Best hinkalis in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Eat the hinkalis and the chicken salad. I go to Pasanauri every time I am in Tblisi. It is a great place with slightly rustic atmosphere and friendly service. The only sad thing is smoking but one day, that will change, too.

Visited October 2013

Espoo, Finland
“Cosy atmosphere, good service and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Cosy atmosphere, good service. Maybe slightly overpriced, but good or very good food. we visited the place twice, I loved Ojakhuri wit pomegranate sauce, also khinkalis were good. Hartsho (soup) could have been better.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sacramento, CA
“Authentic local food, highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Pasanauri (named for a small town in the Dusheti region) serves up very authentic and delicious Georgian cuisine in a pleasant atmosphere. You are as likely to encounter it on a night with an all-Georgian clientele as you are to find it filled with tourists. Although it has been "discovered," it hasn't lost its quality.

The menu is available in English and you will not have too much trouble making yourself understood to the staff (their English is generally good to passable).

My favorite dishes are the garlic chicken (shkmeruli) and the eggplant with walnuts and pomegranate (badridzhani nigvsit, I think). However, I dined here several times in the 2 1/2 months I was in Tbilisi, and tried most of the dishes--and they are all tasty! Of course, if you haven't tried khinkali (dumplings), they are excellent here. Georgians order them in bulk, so it's considered odd to just order 1 or 2.

Portions are generous here, as well. The prices are not inflated, considering how close this restaurant is to the central part of Tbilisi and many hotels and tourist attractions.

Pro tip: The restaurant can become *very* smoky, especially later in the evenings. If you are sensitive to cigarette smoke, go in the early evening.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester
“Excellent local cuisine, a place where locals eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

A lovely and popular restaurant. We were lucky to get a table. Local cuisine, the dumplings, similar to ravioli or Russian pelmeni ae excellent. The service is good, teh menu is in English. Inexpensive. Highly recommended,

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Real Georgian Food, Local Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had a wonderful meal at Pasanauri in Tbilisi recently. I am a cook and cookbook writer and know a fair amount about Georgian food and am fussy about quality ethnic food when I travel. I hate watered down, tourist-versions of dishes, and usually spend a fair amount of time looking for food I will like. My guide recommended Pasanauri as a place that he would go to with his family. That was good enough for me. It is conveniently located just past the Academy of Sciences off of Rustaveli Avenue, and is convenient for travelers.

It is a small place with ten large booths and about five tables for two-to-four depending on the squeeze factor. The décor is simple, something along the lines of an English pub or tavern, but don't let that put you off - the food is good. The night I was there, I was the only traveler in house, everyone else around me was Georgian as far as I could tell.

I had a glass of the red Shumi to get me in the mood for food. Though it was a house wine, it was still quite good. The main course was veal with tomatoes in a clay dish. As expected, it was served sizzling and I had to gaze at it for a few minutes before I tucked in. It was very good, mildly spiced and perfectly cooked. As an accompanying dish I ordered the sulguni cheese in a clay dish - which is another Georgian specialty. When it cooled enough to eat, I sopped some up with a crisp on the outside, but soft and delicious on the inside, fresh Georgian bread. I also ordered two of the famous sauces, the azhika and the tekmali - both of which were superb. Pasanauri's azhika was moderately hot with a lot of tomato and mustard and was different from many versions of the sauce I have had. Their tekmali was also unique, with a lot more lemon flavor to it than usual - but it worked with the sour plums and was really wonderful!

The Georgians around me were ordering large plates of khinkali dumplings or clay-dish meals and were enjoying the food and the time-out spent together.

The menu is in Georgian and English which is a plus for international travelers, and the food is authentic, not-touristy, and reasonably priced. I highly recommend Pasanauri to everyone, but especially to those wishing to experience real Georgian food while in Tbilisi.

• Visited May 2013