“Have Cats, Will Bring Paper” 5 of 5 stars

Why Not? Tbilisi Legend Hostel
Tabukashvili 15/4, Tbilisi 0108, Georgia   |
Ranked #10 of 154 Specialty Lodging in Tbilisi
Batumi, Georgia
“Have Cats, Will Bring Paper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I've stayed here a few times during November & December '13. The staff are a very knowledgeable, international group and can point you in the right direction regardless of what you need. I learned so much from the fascinating travelers I met, like photography from an Irishman and jewelry making from an Ecuadorian. The common area's huge dining table and bean bags really lend a sense of camaraderie :) The kitchen is well-equipped and the showers always warm. My go-to hostel in Tbilisi.

P.S. - One of the two cats has an unparalleled love for anything remotely resembling paper and will entertain you for hours by fetching paper wads. Especially keep a close eye on candy wrappers :)

Room Tip: The largest room on the top floor has no heating, but the couple dozen mattresses there made an epic...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Krakow, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

After spending a couple of nights in Why Not? I must say I’m puzzled where all these rave reviews come from.

When we arrived at Why Not?, it turned out that there was a double booking and we couldn’t get the room we wanted (we did get a discount though). Locating someone from the hostel staff when arriving is not an easy task – there is a general ‘reception area’ but it’s hard to tell a traveler from a staff member. Staff changes during the day and some of those people are friendly and helpful (they got us a very friendly driver for our Davit Gareja day trip), some shouldn’t work there, imho. We asked one of the girl who worked there to help us with a phone call to the arranged driver (we don’t speak Georgian, he doesn’t speak English) and she looked as if she was physically suffering a tremendous pain when doing this for us.
Also, I wouldn’t count on breakfast being served on time. For the 5-6 days we stayed there, only on Day 1, when we came down to the dining area, there was a full breakfast prepared on a table. On other days, there was only milk and cereal and the staff was only leaving to get other products. So if you’re planning an early start to explore the city or other attractions, I would arrange for breakfast somewhere else. Breakfast at the hostel is for those who have plenty of time or like to sleep in after partying at night.

We wanted to extend our stay and were offered two places in the common dormitory, i.e. you get a mattress on a floor. We were fine with that but when we entered the room, there were 25 mattresses and all seemed to be taken. After a couple of minutes, we went downstairs to clear this out. The girl from the staff said that in fact the room is for 20 mattresses and there should be two free for us. She went upstairs with us and it was obvious she had no clue which places were free. She moved some stuff around and found us two mattresses but in two different spots in the room. She said they could move it so we sleep next to each other but at that point I was so annoyed that I didn’t really care. To their advantage, when we came back that day from our excursion, our mattresses were next to each other.

Overall this was a very average experience for the hostel that claims to be legend – wait for it – ary. It’s a good place for those who like to party, sleep in, and rather than enjoying the city and explore the nearby attractions (and there are a LOT of those!), prefer to hang out and mingle with other like-minded travelers and the staff at the hostel.

Oh…and the smell when you enter the hostel…. (you’re asked to remove your shoes; so you can imagine the smell coming from ~40 pairs of shoes lines up in a small room on a hot summer day).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
hong kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Nice staff and he is a goold travel planer too. tidy and good location , love there so much !
Kitchen with cook set & bathroom like as my house , I feel it most like I stayed at home.
high celling , big bedroom and they treated us free breakfast on a long big table.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend loved the Why Not? Legend Hostel. We have used it as our base while touring Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. The staff are so friendly and helpful, the rooms and beds are great, the breakfast is fab and they have wifi!! Plus a washing machine and a cosy lounge where we met loads of cool people. Love this place!!

Room Tip: Top dorm for good price and spacious!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Krakow, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Usually hostel is my home while travelling. And I travell a lot... Why Not is an excellent choise with best location in the old city centre and all main Tbilisi atractions in 5 min by foot. Rooms are clean and warm, staff helpful and never tired by answering the questions. Good breakfasts, no limits for tea and coffee, free washing machine, comfy sofas and friendly atmoshere, all you need is there! You will meet travelers to talk, cats to hug, maps and big table to share while discussing and planning next journey. And you feel like at home. For me - best offer for the best price!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in a six-bed dormitory, booking via hostelworld. The location is good, maybe 5 minutes walk from Freedom/Liberty Square and just off Rustaveli, the main street. It's right behind the Marriott.

I was a bit nonplussed by the "no shoes" rule when I arrived; it didn't bother me as such once I got used to it, but I found it a bit odd all the same. The common room on the ground floor was nice, as was the free tea/coffee, and I enjoyed the cats, but if you don't like cats you should probably not stay here. I managed to hook up with some other guests to share a taxi out to Davit Gareja, which the hostel booked for us. I'm not the greatest mixer in the world and didn't socialise hugely with the other guests, but the atmosphere in the common room was nice and not as intimidating as I've found it in other hostels. I was pleased at the wide age range of the other guests, it wasn't all gap year students making me feel ancient. ;-)

The dormitory was fine if fairly spartan (what do you expect from a dormitory, though?); I had it to myself one night, and shared with one or two other people the other two nights. The lockers are not very big; I just managed to squash my (maximum aircraft carry-on sized) bag in with some difficulty, but I don't think a normal backpack would go in, and indeed the other people I shared with didn't seem to use the lockers. To be fair, it didn't feel as though anyone would nick my stuff if my bag hadn't been locked up; I'm just cautious.

As far as I could tell there was no sit-down toilet upstairs where the dormitories are, just a urinal - the only sit-down toilet I knew about was downstairs in the bathrooms off the entrance corridor. Not a huge deal, but a bit of a trek in the middle of the night had I needed it (and presumably worse for women, of course).

The wifi worked well, even up in the dormitory, and could handle Skype fine.

I'd certainly consider staying here again and I have to give credit for the non-intimidating common room atmosphere. I just find myself a little puzzled as to why other travellers seem to absolutely rave about the place; maybe I'm just a miserable git. ;-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Guests and staff are sooo friendly. Breakfasts are soooo delicious. Common room makes you feel like at home. You can't be bored at this hostel. It is so close to the all touristic places.It is a very good start to explore tbilisi. Love it !!!!

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Why Not? Tbilisi Legend Hostel? Share your experiences!