Stayed here at couple of nights to rest up from a very long flight but the small, out-of-the-way Savoy was most restful and a charming albeit newly built colonial-style hotel. It's tucked away behind a walled courtyard from the bustle of the streets just outside. No elevators so had to walk up three stories to our top story Room 308 overlooking the small but pleasant pool. As with others we wouldn't recommend the restaurant as it's not only expensive for the area (approx. $15-30 USD a meal minimum) but is basically French cuisine with virtually no local dishes. Nearby with a 3-4 min. walk (with constant heavily congested traffic) are three or four good and much less expensive restaurants with either Burmese dishes or Thai that are very good. Staff was very friendly, polite and prompt to resolve any issue we had. The reception and lobby area is rather small and simple. The pool is in the interior courtyard of the hotel, unheated but very pleasant with drink and food service available poolside.
Complimentary in-room wifi was good and reliable, rooms spacious, beds most comfortable if somewhat firm, A/C and room ceiling fan, wooden floors and dark heavy teak furniture, shower stall of good size with "rain shower" type shower heads, bowl of fresh fruit in the room daily, etc.. The provided buffet breakfast was of a limited selection but had most anything from cold to hot food one would want with prompt service and good quality dishes. It's very near the Swedagon Pagoda but the rooms do not really look out on it as it's not tall enough and one can only make out the top spire of the pagoda from the upper level restaurant. The doorman or concierge can quickly hail a cab (all un-metered) for you that can take you most anyplace in the downtown area (with slow, often congested traffic to bog things down) for a very few dollars, just establish an agreed upon price first.
The Central Bank (CB) of Myanmar is just down the same street from the hotel within a 3-min. walk that offers a much better currency exchange rate than the hotel but of course is only open weekdays from about 9:30 to 4 pm. Airport exchange is equally good but better in the main terminal area rather than those immediately at the baggage claim area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Savoy Hotel is a four star colonial boutique hotel committed to personalized and attentive service. It is ideally located in a picturesque area of Yangon overlooking the Shwedagon Pagoda, Myanmar’s “twinkling wonder” and nearby the People’s Park. All 24 deluxe rooms and six suites express the charm of “the old days” with traditional Myanmar antiques, teak furniture and spacious bathrooms. Nicely overshadowed by tall old trees, the large pool with its lounge area makes the Savoy Hotel a silent oasis in the middle of the buzzing city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Savoy Hotel Yangon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Savoy Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Savoy Hotel Yangon Myanmar