We had originally intended staying at the Strand hotel in Yangon, but it was fully booked and so we went to the Governor's Residence and I am so happy we did! This is a special place. It was originally the residence of the governor and has been cleverly transformed into an elegant hotel. If you are planning the trip of a lifetime, consider staying here for a couple of nights. It is expensive, but worth it. First of all, the setting. It is outside the hustle and bustle of the city centre, but still very accessible and set in beautiful gardens. You feel pampered from the moment you arrive as you are greeted with a cold towel and a cool drink. The rooms are spacious and luxurious and the bath is really unusual - made of terrazzo and big enough for two.
We had dinner there on the first night and sampled the (Burmese) curry buffet. I just wish I had been hungrier as there were a lot of dishes I did not have room to try. The same is true of the breakfast buffet, which feature a huge variety of Asian and western dishes and some delicious looking pastries. There was rye bread, which made delicious toast and it was the only time we had the sort of European bread that I really like during the whole trip. The staff were both helpful and knowledgeable, a combination not always easy to find in Myanmar hotels, where everyone is always very willing, but not always very exprienced.
Evening events were organised in the garden for the guests - on our first night there was a cocktail party and on the second evening we had the strange and wonderful experience of sitting in a garden in the Myanmar capital watching The Lady, the film about Aung San Suu Kyi.
We were pretty busy seeing the sites of Yangon, but we made sure to save some time in the afternoon for a swim in the beautiful pool. The sun beds come equipped with a sun hat and a fan - a nice touch. When we left, I was presented with a little gift of Tanaka - the local sun screen made from an indigenous tree. Th Governor's Residence does the big things, and the small things, really well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Governor's Residence in Yangon, Myanmar, is an imposing teak mansion hotel set in lush gardens. It is located within the elegant Embassy Quarter of Yangon and close to the spectacular Shwedagon Pagoda. This Orient-Express hotel offers luxury in fascinating surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Belmond, Travelocity, Agoda, Splendia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, HotelTravel.com, Expedia and Odigeo so you can book your Belmond Governor's Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Governor`s Residence By Orient-Express Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Governors Residence Yangon Rangoon
- Governors Residence Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Belmond Governor's Residence Yangon, Myanmar