The Governor's Residence in Yangon was built in the 1920's as a Governor's Residence. It has been revived and restored into a hotel with meticulous care so it retains its old-world allure into a colonial-style teak mansion . It offers contemporary luxury, calming ambience with period elegance. Everything appears to be teak. On arrival we were offered a drink and made very welcome by the lovely, charming and always smiling staff. Dressed in the longyi which is such an elegant garment, narrow and beautifully dignified. They were very attentive at breakfast, lunch and dinner even when we had a 4.30 breakfast start. The meals were delicious and the breakfast was plentiful with many beautiful choices. The Mindon Lounge upstairs, with its high ceilings and fans was a lovely tropical setting for a Mandalay beer with lunch or snacks. There were also lovely artefacts, paintings and furniture thoughout the hotel. The Gift Shop was full of lovely gifts, paintings, jewellery and collectables.
The room was spacious with comfortable beds, slippers and robes and beauty products.
We stayed one night before our departure on the Road to Mandalay and another night again on our return. The only disappointment was that the stay wasnt longer as there was so much to enjoy....the beautiful moat-like pool, magnificent gardens amidst lotus pools and as the hotel was located in a lovely leafy embassy quarter I would have loved to have taken a walk around the residential area.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel and I would also highly recommend anyone visiting Myanmar to do the cruise Road to Mandalay. Also run by Orient Express. I usually travel independently but chose the most luxurious and iconic journey in Myanmar sailing Road to Mandalay because I believe it offered comfort, time and seamless convenience where travel in myanmar independently could be difficult. It is a trip I soon wont forget and everyone should do the Road to Mandalay at least once in their lifetime.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Governor's Residence in Yangon, Myanmar, is an imposing teak mansion hotel set in lush gardens. It is located within the elegant Embassy Quarter of Yangon and close to the spectacular Shwedagon Pagoda. This Orient-Express hotel offers luxury in fascinating surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Splendia, Expedia, Belmond, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Belmond Governor's Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Governor`s Residence By Orient-Express Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Governors Residence Yangon Rangoon
- Governors Residence Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Belmond Governor's Residence Yangon, Myanmar