I stayed at The Strand for one night at the beginning of my trip to Burma last spring. I didn't have a chance to partake of any of its amenities besides dining.
My overall impression of the public spaces and rooms at The Strand was that they were lovely and true to the British colonial character of Burma, replete with beautiful hardwood floors, buttercream walls, swirling ceiling fans, and creaky carpeted staircases. However, the whole place seemed slightly dingy, like it was crying out for a deep cleaning/sprucing up.
The lobby was the best place in the hotel to catch the hotel's wifi signal, and residents kicked back in their wicker club chairs surfing the internet lent the atmosphere a relaxed, welcoming vibe. The bar was packed when I arrived (it was happy hour) with a rowdy, after work expat crowd, which was kind of fun.
My suite was spacious and tastefully decorated in a grandmother's living room sort of way, but a bit dark and again, everything seemed slightly worn.
Unfortunately, something I ate --whether it was my three salad dinner, recommended by my earnest, well meaning waitress, or my takeaway breakfast of a fruit smoothie and croissant -- gave me food poisoning, which took an antibiotic course and several days to clear up. Not terribly surprising in a developing country, but an inconvenience nonetheless....
Despite that incident, nearly a year later, what stands out as the highlight of my visit to The Strand is the warm atmosphere and in particular, the service -- from the somewhat formal check in, my waitress at dinner, and my floor butler -- none of which were of the international five star variety, but rather disarmingly sweet, sincere and eager to please.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A three-story Victorian-style, The Strand is located in the heart of the city. Its colonial charm is apparent from the rattan furniture to the chandeliers and the black-lacquered ceiling fans. Each of its airy suites combines the resplendence of a bygone era with all the modern conveniences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, LHW, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel and Venere so you can book your The Strand Yangon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Strand Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Strand Yangon Rangoon
- Strand Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- The Strand Yangon Myanmar