“Slightly Tired But Warm Colonial Elegance, Eager To Please Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Strand Yangon

Save Saved
You added The Strand Yangon to your Saves list
The Strand Yangon
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 Strand Rd., Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar   |
Special Offer
ONE TIME ONLY
Ranked #2 of 83 hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
nyc
“Slightly Tired But Warm Colonial Elegance, Eager To Please Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at The Strand for one night at the beginning of my trip to Burma last spring. I didn't have a chance to partake of any of its amenities besides dining.

My overall impression of the public spaces and rooms at The Strand was that they were lovely and true to the British colonial character of Burma, replete with beautiful hardwood floors, buttercream walls, swirling ceiling fans, and creaky carpeted staircases. However, the whole place seemed slightly dingy, like it was crying out for a deep cleaning/sprucing up.

The lobby was the best place in the hotel to catch the hotel's wifi signal, and residents kicked back in their wicker club chairs surfing the internet lent the atmosphere a relaxed, welcoming vibe. The bar was packed when I arrived (it was happy hour) with a rowdy, after work expat crowd, which was kind of fun.

My suite was spacious and tastefully decorated in a grandmother's living room sort of way, but a bit dark and again, everything seemed slightly worn.

Unfortunately, something I ate --whether it was my three salad dinner, recommended by my earnest, well meaning waitress, or my takeaway breakfast of a fruit smoothie and croissant -- gave me food poisoning, which took an antibiotic course and several days to clear up. Not terribly surprising in a developing country, but an inconvenience nonetheless....

Despite that incident, nearly a year later, what stands out as the highlight of my visit to The Strand is the warm atmosphere and in particular, the service -- from the somewhat formal check in, my waitress at dinner, and my floor butler -- none of which were of the international five star variety, but rather disarmingly sweet, sincere and eager to please.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

180 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Back in Yangon and this was our first stay at the Strand. Not our first chose but the 4 nights we spend there turned out to be very good and we will return to spend more time and enjoy the old world charm. Enjoyed the location as it was easy to get around the city area from the hotel. Anyone visiting Yangon should try the Strand high tea as it is money well spent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed in the Strand in late 2012 and enjoyed the experience as it is a hotel from a bygone era. Everything works perfectly including the internet access but you get a feeling you are staying in a grand hotel from a different era. The staff are marvellous especially the reception staff who were really helpful with trip information, sourcing taxi drivers and suggesting restaurants. However, it took some time to adjust to the staff that were stationed at desks on the bedroom floors - they collected the key as you left the room and then re-open the room on your return! One sad point was the bar - it was always very quiet and most nights we were the only guests, therefore, we only use it for a night-cap. If you prefer a modern-day fashionable hotel then this is not the place.

Room Tip: The Rooms are large and one facing the main roads whist a bit noisy, are good as you can watch the l...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Strand was not my first choice of hotels in Rangoon(sorry, it is still Rangoon to me) but since I was not writing the check, I was overuled. I am so happy that this was the case.
We had an exceptional stay at the Strand. As many other reviewers have mentioned, the minute you walk into the Strand, you feel like you are walking back in time, and I mean this in the best way possible. There is an understated elegance and charm about the place that is sadly missing in our chain driven hotel world.
Our suite was literally bigger than my apt when I lived in NYC. Extremely comfortable in all respects. The butler on our floor was simply outstanding. He was always there to assist in any way possible, from pressing our travel wrinkled clothes in time for dinner, to helping me with key Burmese phrases. I cannot recall a time during our stay when he did not appear within seconds of my appearance on our floor, wanting to know what he could do to help.
Speaking of the staff, the folks downstairs in Reception were the nicest, most helpful people I have ever encountered in my years of travel. I do not think "no" is in their vocabulary. They arranged all of our trips, dinner reservations, airport transfers...you name it, they did it. Every single staff member knew my name and I do not know how they accomplished that. Very nice touch.
The food in the restaraunts was great and I especially enjoyed the breakfast menu each day. They did a wine pairing dinner one night that was off the charts good and so very reasonable.
The bar is a classic and I spent probably too much time in there. I enjoyed sitting in there each afternoon after a day of sightseeing, having a Dagon draught or working my way through their excellent scotch list and filling out post cards. The peanuts are addictive. Their signature cocktails with fresh fruit juices became hugely popular with our group. Always an eclectic mix of patrons in there to provide some very interesting conversations. The Friday Happy Hour is not to be missed!
They have a good business center and some nice shops with jade and other local artifacts.
Walk across the street and eat at Junior Duck if you want truly authetic Chinese food and setting. Get a table with a window on the river and you will go back in time watching the fascinating mix of boats plying the river.
We stayed at Kandawgyi Palace on our return from Ngapali (my choice) and it was so much more expensive and not even in the same league as The Strand. I received a well deserved "I told you so" from the rest of the group after that stay.
I hope The Strand can hang on. I am just glad I had the opportunity to stay there and experience a truly exceptional level of elegance and comfort.

Room Tip: Keep some small kyats for the kids selling post cards outside the hotel. They are great little kids...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was my first visit to Myanmar and the Strand hotel my stopping off place on landing and returning to Yangon after exploring the country. The rooms are huge, restful and beautifully furnished in a spare colonial style. The restaurant is excellent and everything everywhere works. But a special word about the butler - there to meet your every whim in a way that you only wish you had the opportunity to get accustomed too for life. the warm welcome on returning to the hotel after 2 weeks away was like coming home. Highly highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

From the traditional outlook to unique indoor settings, hints of colonial stye setting. We booked 2 rooms with this hotel, the rooms were huge. The staffs were really friendly, I've definitely enjoyed the stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This grand hotel remains a delight and a haven from this noisy dusty city in the throes of extraordinary change. The public rooms shimmer with their brass chandeliers and ceiling fans, the wicker chairs that harken back to a gentler time. A quiet elegance pervades. The rooms are spacious, with high ceilings, separate sitting areas and shiny wooden floors. One could comfortably spend a few days here,delighting in the fantasy of life the way it used to be for the lucky with a butler at the ready to serve tea. It is still that grand place but one wonders for how long. The windows need to be washed! Our wonderful room overlooking the river had windows caked with dust and grime. The silk curtains were threadbare and their cords broken. The ceiling was in need of paint. The Strand has recently come under new management. Whether it will invest in this grande dame remains a question. The first thing they should buy are new towels. The current threadbare towels need to be replaced and housekeeping needs to be more generous with them. One bath towel for guests who are accustomed to butlers is simply insufficient. There should be a bar of soap in the shower AND in the tub. These are details a good management company understands instinctively. Ergo my concern. If current management thinks it can simply live off the Strand's fine name and reputation, they are wrong. Exacting customers, like us, will notice.

Room Tip: We loved looking out on the front. River view. Yes, it is slightly noisier,but worth it for the vie...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Strand Yangon? Share your experiences!