“When can we come again?” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
* Free Cont B/F WiFi
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Port Vila
Hamilton
“When can we come again?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Have waited more than a week to do this review just to make sure I was not dreaming about the folk at Travellers. I spend more than 130 nights a year away from home and these hosts are the best I've come across. They treat every guest as if they were the VIP of the day and organised a full range of activities, transfers, flights, accommodation at other places and were full of recommendations for shopping and eating. The days started with a great breakfast before we were sent on our way and concluded with a leisurely chat with our hosts and other guests sharing the day's experiences. Thanks Janelle and Jack - we're now your amabassadors.

Room Tip: Just tell Janelle and Jack what you need and they will make sure it happens
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I stayed two wonderful nights at Travellers. Arriving on Janelle's birthday I was treated to Jack's amazing sashimi and spend a wonderful night celebrating with the hosts and fellow travellers. The rooms are clean, equipped with everything you need and the pool is pure bliss on a hot day.
What makes this place special is the relaxed and homely atmosphere that Jack and Janelle create. They offer honest advice and can recommend (and book) activities for any budget. I will definitely stay at Travellers again when I come back to Vanuatu.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dublin,Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Travellers has it all. I just spent a week there and had the best time ever. I've travelled all over the world and stayed in a lot of luxury hotels, and grown bored with the monotony and expense of four and five star omnihotels that are all the same. If you want somewhere really special and really affordable, stay here. Accommodation-wise, Travellers has lovely fan-cooled or air-conditioned (select your preference on booking) rooms that are meticulously turned down and maintained daily by a dedicated housekeeping staff. It's a ten min walk downhill into town, or a 150VT bus ride. Hideaway Island and Mele Cascades are both just a 300VT bus ride away. Catching a bus is a matter of walking out the gate and sticking your hand out!
The rooms and location however, are not nearly the best things about this place. It is run by a lovely couple, Jack and Janelle, who are always on hand with genuinely helpful suggestions tailored to your needs and preferences, and a no-hassle approach to booking tours, transfers etc for you that makes seeing Vanuatu an effortless experience. Whether you want non-stop sightseeing action, or just to kick back with a beer in the motel's own nakamal next to their great pool and chat with the owners and other guests is totally up to you, either way you will have a great time. As with other reviewers, I have no hesitation in also recommending the great breakfasts, do yourself a favour and sample Janelle's awesome fruit salad. I was totally impressed with my stay here and really sad to go, I hope to get back some day soon. PS - As another reviewer said, book through the motel's own website, even before you arrive Jack and Janelle are extremely helpful in planning everything from airport transfer to suggest accommodation elsewhere in Vanuatu if you plan to move around. Top notch!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My husband and I had a very pleasant stay here for a few nights. We found the room had everything we needed and was clean.

As others have said the hosts (Jack and Janelle) were always helpful and willing to offer recommendations and assistance with booking trips.

The pool was lovely to swim in. You can easily walk to and from the main street in Port Vila in 10-15 mins, or a 2 min bus ride (150vatu).

I would stay here again and would recommend to my family and friends. Don't come expecting 5 star luxury...but you will get a clean motel and a friendly atmosphere at a bargain price compared to other places in Port Vila.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed at Travellers for 4 nights before I moved to a larger resort (for a wedding) at the beginning of March - Jack and Janelle the owners were fantastic. I was greeted with a Tusker, and travelling alone I thought I would not really meet that many people - however Jack and Janelle make sure that everyone is comfortable and well looked after. If you want to see the real Vanuatu and not pay the tourist prices - J&J will tell you were to go, how much it should cost and whether the places you want to go are worth it! All their inside knowledge was invaluable as I passed it onto my friends at the resort (who are all very thankful to my new friends J&J!) The facilities are basic, but it's great for a bed, a shower, a dip in the pool and to cook your own meals (much cheaper than eating out every single meal) PLUS La Parissiane the friench bakery is JUST up the road YUM!. It's also fantastic in the mornings when Janelle makes her fabulous fruit salad with coconut yoghurt (p.s thank you for saving me coco yoghurt everymorning!!) Its a short walk to Port Vila, and it's away from the resorts, and you feel more like a local. But what I loved the most was that you weren't invisible! I will definitley be staying there again - and I can't thank you guys enough! Cheers - Katherine x (p.s say hi to Cinder for me give her some bacon rind!)

Room Tip: I stayed in a 5 dorm room - but there are double rooms available. Great for solo travellers!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed at Travellers for 4 nights, arriving NYE 2011, we were greeted by Jack upon arrival (at midnight NYE) and found our room to be clean, tidy and with all the amenities; shower with hot water, fan, air conditioning and fridge. The pool is clean and great to have a relaxing cool off after being in the humidity all day. The kitchen is completely stocked however we didn't use this choosing to eat out.

Jack was great always saying 'don't worry about a thing, we got it covered - you just relax' which he did and we did. Lily and the girls serviced our rooms daily and were always happy to assist us. Jack made great recommendations for dinners and even organised a few fishing charters for John, he even got up early to make sure that John didn't sleep through his alarm! Jack even dropped us off at the Mele Cascades as he was heading that way and if you have a spare couple of hours he would more than happily sit, drink Tuskers and chat away.

Getting into town was an easy 10 minute walk (although the walk back is uphill) or you can catch buses right out the front which there were plenty of approx 150 vt per person.

I absolutely loved Vanuatu and Travellers was perfect for the kind of holiday we were looking for.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hannover, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Janelle and Jack (J&J, both from Oz) manage to strike the balance between running a well-maintained motel mini-resort and maintaining a family atmosphere. Here, J&J call everyone by their first name, and don't mind getting approached for anything you may want to know.
Think of it as a five-star backpackers for grown-ups - and an ideal spot to trade your knowledge about how to get around and the many hidden gems on this island. As many (experienced) travellers use this location as the gateway to other neighbouring islands, again a great option to gain detailed information (not captured on any platform or travel guide) on same. We enjoyed it heaps coming back to this place in the evenings, after an active day at some spot on the island.
If you don't mind not having your room/flat smack bang on the beach, but want to meet fellow travellers and spend your buck on activities and not accomodation, this might be the best place in town.
[Phil from Germany]

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Traveller's Budget Motel? Share your experiences!