“Port Vila, staying at lagoon beach.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cocomo Resort

You added Cocomo Resort to your Saves list
Cocomo Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Teomou Road | Tassiriki, Port Vila, Efate 9999, Vanuatu (Formerly Lagoon Beach Resort Apartments)   |
Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in Port Vila
gold coast australia
“Port Vila, staying at lagoon beach.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

My family group have just finished an 11 day holiday at Port Vila, for some of us, it was a 5th visit. Once again we stayed at Lagoon Beach, and as to be expected, the accommodation was immaculate, the staff so very very friendly. It is this friendliness which makes this resort so different and staff have become almost family. Noting is too much trouble, HI! Alice!, the menu, being off season, is limited but good and pretty fairly priced by local standards. Couldnt recommend Lagoon beach higher.
Pt Vila, in general seems to be moving up a little, particularly, the Buses and Taxi were of a lot higher standard than they were 12 months ago,a few nicer shops and bit more paint being splashed around. One problem, and the local council need to wake up and do something, is the piles of garbage waiting pickup. There is no need for this and I remember how Singapore used to be and what a clean up can do for your tourism business. Get with it, Council!
Recognized same pot holes from last year, only bigger and better, altho I believe the Oz Govt is going to build the around island road - seems to be a lot of work going on, so maybe its true.
We ate at Waterfront Bar, Chantillys, Erakor Is, Flaming Bull, Vila Chaumieres, Deli-Cafe (not recommended) Jills, Harbour View, and others and with only one bad memory (Deli-Cafe sat my wife on a chair repaired with a plastic electrical tie, the chair and my wife collapsed on the floor and management didnt help her up, just whisked the chair away!)
The Coongoola Cruise was a great day out, great snorkelling, - BBQ was fine but steak could have been little better and knives being blunt! didnt help. Others in our party had great day horseback riding and thoroughly recommend the excursion.

In general, restaurants are over priced. If Vanuatu wants to encourage more visitors, they should have a look at a little more fresh competition in this area. With brilliant meats at less than 50% of Oz prices, staff wages at probably 10% , very cheap local produce, and rents no where near Gold Coast prices, why the higher prices?
We hope to go back again, love the people and thoroughly recommend Lagoon Beach.
1Horrie1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

We arrived in Vanuatu late in the evening and started off on the wrong foot with transport arriving late and then the accommodation not being prepared in the format requested. However from then on things improved considerably. The staff were so very helpful starting off with a briefing first thing next morning about the resort and Vanuatu generally. They were happy to give us time to discuss the various tour options and showed an interest in our wellbeing.

The only real downside was that we were advised to wear shoes if we were to swim in the lagoon as there were starfish with thorns protruding from them. When I went for a walk along the waterfront the startfish were everywhere. This is beyond the control of the staff and how to resolve I have no idea short of poisoning them which is out of the question given the numerous disadvantages of such action and manually removing them which would be an enormous job and probably be a temporary fix anyway.

The resort is a distance out of town but as Keven said 'there are a thousand 'buses'', they are cheap and the drivers are almost invariably honest and reliable. We seemed to go in to the city via a different route on every occasion which was good. On two occasions we were taken to Le Lagoon Resort instead of Lagoon Beach Resort but that was not a problem in so much as the driver simply apologised and took us to the correct resort without tyring to impose an additional charge - make very sure you emphasise to the driver where you wish to go.

Although we would probably not return to Vanuatu as we found little to attract us, the Resort is certainly of very good quality, the staff outstanding and I understand that during the busy season they have ;in house' entertainment as well - when we were there guests could almost be counted on two hands.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

We just had a 7 day holiday staying at the Lagoon Beach at Port Vila, Vanuatu. Our family, my wife, my daughter and I, my nephew and his mum stayed in a 2-storey 2-bedroom apartment. Having a 2 bedroom apartment suited us very well since the children can play together either inside the apartment or in the garden outside the apartment. The apartment has all the mod-cons such as air-cond, TV, washing machine + dryer, kitchen. The rooms are nicely decorated, cleaned and exude a tropical feel especially the view from the balcony overlooking the lagoon.

We love the tranquility and beautiful scenery around the hotel. Management and staff are extremly friendly and helpful. Room services are excellent and we loved their food - babana pan cake for breakfast and coconut crab for dinner.

We love Vanuatu and will definitely come back in the future. And we will stay at the Lagoon beach apartments for sure.

• Liked — family-friendly
  • Disliked — Need bigger pool
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melb Vict
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

My friends and I travelled to Vanuatu myself organizing the trip I was not dissapointed my queries were answered so promptly, nothing was to much trouble, so friendly, from Management to staff, food great, bar great, pool great, the apartments were beautiful, so clean, and serviced every day to perfection, remember to get international on your mobile, I didn"t and left home just after my son had operation, they lent me there mobile phone to ring Australia,and find my son was well,how fantastic it made my holiday , I would recommend this place highly and intend returning with my family. Have a great holiday...

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendly accomodatting with every request.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

We stayed at Lagoon Beach Resort for 12nights from 31.12.08 to 12.01.09 and had a fantastic time. We are a family of 6 including an 18yr old, 4 yr old, 3yr old and 14tmonth old and all had a great time. The units themselves are fantastic, clean, tidy and the airconditioning works beautifully. The service was is really good and the staff including management are very friendly. The highlight of the afternoons is the beach volley ball where guests and staff spend a few hours playing including the Aussie vs Vanuatu games. The kids club is good where guest and local children can play. The cost of food and drinks within the resort is comparable to other resorts. The BBQ pack is excellent value for money including steak, sasuages, chicken and salad. The resort is located on a lagoon and the water is nice and warm and you can enjoy and paddle in the canoes. The kids can hunt for crabs, search for star fish and throw a fishing line in. The cost of living in Vanuatu is very high so plan for this in your budget including a carton of aussie beer at about $70AUD. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Liked — Friendly, Clean and Tidy
  • Disliked — I liked it all
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

As a family of four we had a wonderful relaxing time at
Lagoon Beach for 9 nights. The apartments are spacious and well equipped with all the essentials, the staff are friendly, the grounds are beautiful and well kept and the food and drink is very reasonably priced compared to other resorts we visited - the BBQ pack is great value!

You can mingle with the other guests or keep to yourself, you can kayak up and down the lagoon, you can fish, swim, play volleyball with the staff and other guests at 5pm or just simply do nothing.

Lagoon Beach is a great resort and I would recommend it to
anyone.

Thanks to Chris and all the staff :)

• Liked — the spacious apartments, friendly atmoshere of the resort
  • Disliked — leaving!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

I'd highly recommend these apartments to all. The staff are excellent - friendly, helpful and generous of their time. We stayed at Lagoon Beach Apartments for a family holiday in Sept/Oct 2008. During this time family friends also stayed and renewed their wedding vows. We found the apartments on Tripadvisor and then both did our bookings online direct with Lagoon Beach. The staff were excellent - promptly answering all our queries both about their Resort and general enquiries we had regarding Vanuatu. We are a family of 2 adults and 4 children (aged 11 - 15), so I was concerned about having enough room for us all. I needn't have worried. The apartments are very spacious - the 2nd bedroom easily slept 3 of our children. Our 15 yo daughter slept in a bed provided by the management in the downstairs area. This didn't encroach on the living room and meant we didn't have to make up a sofa bed each night. The kitchen was well equipped and the apartments are spotlessly cleaned. The grounds are kept beautiful by the full time gardeners. Our children loved the afternoon rugby or beach volleyball games with staff and labourers. This became a highlight of our holiday with the kids all wanting to return to the resort in time for the afternoon match. Special mention needs to go to Kevin (barman/waiter/kids entertainer/volleyball champ!). Chris and Natalie were absolutely wonderful as were Mark and George (of Georges transport). There are enough resort facilities and activities to keep the kids happy (pool, table tennis, playground, kayaks) and to make it a relaxed holiday. Our friends renewed their wedding vows during our stay at the Resort, and this was a very beautiful, memorable day. I would definitely stay at Lagoon Beach Resort Apartments again.

• Liked — Fantastic staff, great accommodation and location
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Cocomo Resort? Share your experiences!