“Moorings” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moorings Hotel

You added Moorings Hotel to your Saves list
Moorings Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lini Highway | P.O. Box 1404, Port Vila, Efate, Vanuatu   |
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Port Vila
brisbane
“Moorings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed 4 nights in the Moorings, staff very friendly. Buffet breakfast is plentifull with juice, toast, cereal, fruit etc.Dinner first night was very nice, but bar staff a bit unorganised with paying cash for drinks, there is obvisouly no till behind bar, and struggle with cash. The rooms are nice but no reading lights or valuables safe and not good if you have rude or noisey neighbours in adjoining rooms.
But all in all nice place and would stay there again.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Yorick N, General Manager at Moorings Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear norman r,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review your stay at Moorings Hotel.
We are indeed in the opening phase of our new bar which explains the absence of a computer and till however the technicians are actively working on that and we expect that to be back within 1 week from now.

Safes are also currently being placed in all of our rooms as the new custom made wardrobe furniture is being installed by contractors. Much is happening at Moorings for the better!

We hope to have the pleasure of your return visit sometime in the future to share how far Moorings has come since 2014.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Noumea, New Caledonia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Before I arrived I contacted the hotel to arrange an airport trf, I was told probably easier to just get a taxi at airport. Not ideal for me as I was traveling alone and arrived after dark. However was easy enough.
When I arrived at hotel the reception was shut with no bell or anything so I dragged my suitcase to the bar to announce myself. The room was smaller then I expected but was adequate. I decided to dine at the restaurant and was not disappointed with the meal although I did ask for chips instead of mash and didn't receive. Another guest was continually coming to the bar to complain that TV was not working etc, sadly I found that when I got back to my room my TV was also not working and I decided not to mention at the time due to the difficulties the other guest had. I struggled to connect to any wifi and could only connect to a 15 min free dial up every 3 hours. The breakfast that was included was also disappointing. It looked as though it has just been recycled from the day or previous days before. A few tweeks here and there and this place could be so much better. I guess I just had high expectations. Thankfully I was staying elsewhere for the remainder of my time in Vila otherwise I'm not sure I would go back. For me there saw as also some confusion re payment. I booked via bookings.com and found the hotel had already taken payment before I arrived. Not a biggy but worth a mention.

Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
Yorick N, General Manager at Moorings Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Chellenc,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Moorings Hotel.

Sincere apologies for the lack of transfer service, I will endeavour to investigate further. I am however pleased to hear your taxi was to standard as are all of the Taxi Association's vehicles.

Our reception does indeed shut at 19:00 as is advertised on all booking platforms. Your booking was expected and advising the bar of your arrival was the appropriate measure to take. As I recall, I immediately arranged your checkin myself upon noticing your conversation with our barman.

Apologies for the lack of attention to your request for mash potato. Your feedback will be passed onto the Executive Chef this very afternoon; and we will ensure this does not reoccur in future instances.

Please be advised that none of the resort's TVs were functional until only 3 days ago when the provider was finally able to fix the equipment (one of the many side effects of cyclone PAM). I'm sure that client inquiring at the bar was advised accordingly. Aside from that, most of the resort's services have been operational ever since 3 days following that devastating event.

Our complimentary wireless internet (in the public areas) has always been operational. Had we been informed of your difficulty with this service, we would have been happy to be of assistance.

We take great care in providing a fresh breakfast each and every day (with the current sole exception of canned fruits due to cyclone PAM's devastating effect on local supplier gardens) therefore we are surprised to hear it wasn't to you satisfaction. For that we apologise. The Chef will be advised accordingly.

For your information, all Booking.com reservations are 100% prepaid for prior to arrival. This is the case for all of their bookings along with many others originating from other websites and direct bookings with Moorings Hotel. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

We are indeed a modest 2.5 star establishment however we always aim to over-deliver. Objectively speaking, perhaps a higher rated property would have been more to your standards. That being said, I invite you to look us up in a few months' time as we are continuously renovating since Sept 2014 (change of ownership and management) and Moorings Hotel is expected to exceed expectations once all upgrades are finally in place. We are very excited as this time is close at hand.

Wishing you a very pleasant 2015.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Was there 3 weeks after cyclone pam, and the hotel was up and running well!
Basic rooms, a little small, nice pool overlooking the water, and easy access into town.
The waffles at breakfast were good too!

Room Tip: The rooms looking directly into the harbour look good
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Yorick N, General Manager at Moorings Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear DKBNZTRAVELLER,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Moorings Hotel.
We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your time with us and wish you a very pleasant 2015.

new zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Have just returned from Vanuatu and stayed at the Moorings Hotel during our time. The location is excellent with only a 5-10 minute walk into town. The view at sunset is amazing - great to sit on the decking with a glass of wine and watch the sun go down. Considering that we went 4 weeks after Cyclone Pam, all the facilities were up and running and met all of our needs. The rooms are a little bit small but has everything that you require. Yorick and the staff were very accommodating and helpful with all of our needs and questions. Thank you for making our time in Vanuatu enjoyable :-)

Room Tip: Rooms 301 - 303 - they have the best views!!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear heather136,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review your stay at Moorings Hotel.
We are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your time with us and we hope to have the pleasure of your return visit sometime in the future.

Wishing you a very prosperous 2015.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2015

This was my eighth visit to Port Vila, and third to Moorings, so I knew what I wanted for this part of my stay. I chose Moorings for it's value, proximity to town (and my favourite bar, The Anchor Inn) and for having stunning water views. Firstly, I got an exceptional last minute deal for a harbour view room and that in combination with having a level, shady walk into town and having continental breakfast included, made it a deal too good to refuse.

The rooms are small but very clean and ours was quite well maintained. We had enough room to live comfortably out of two suitcases and unpack our toiletries. We enjoyed coffee and drinks on our private deck, with new deck furniture, overlooking the harbour and the small bar fridge was large enough to hold a six pack of Tusker, a bottle of Baileys and some ice. From the private deck or pool deck you can see the cruise ships come and go, watch the fishermen each day and see absolutely stunning sunsets.

We enjoyed consistent hot water and reasonable pressure. My only complaint with any part of our stay is that the bed was very firm. I found it quite uncomfortable, but I assume all the queen rooms would be the same. Perhaps others enjoy this level of firmness. The two pillows given were quite flat which made the bed seem harder. We asked for more pillows and this added to the comfort level considerably.

The pool was sparkling clean and the gardens are simply beautiful and give the place a feeling of a much larger hotel area.

We enjoyed the continental breakfast each day and found it quite substantial enough to see us through to lunch. It included tea, coffee, juice, full cream and skim milks, pancakes, cereals, baguette, bread/toast, conserves, fruit salad and fresh sliced fruit. I love those fish shaped pancakes with fruit salad!

We had a few drinks at the bar, and would have had more except that the Happy Hour only included beer. We didn't have any other meals there so can't comment on the restaurant. This place is undergoing refurbishments right now and I'm really expecting good things because the improvements so far have been great. This includes a waterfront bar and dining area, the old bar is being reinstated and the nightclub has been closed down permanently. I think I saw that it has been relocated off site somewhere.

We really enjoyed our stay and I'll probably be back to see what improvement have been made.

Room Tip: If you are booking a harbour front room, ask for ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Yorick N, General Manager at Moorings Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2015
Dear kerryandjake,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Moorings Hotel. I have had a chat with our ownership only this morning and they will endeavour to review all of our bedding in order to address recent feedback on firmness. This will also included the purchase of new pillows where needed.

I shall also be giving our Happy Hour a once over ;)

Warm regards,
Yorick Nicholls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2015

The hotel is ideally situated 5 minutes walk to the center of port villa and within easy reach of the airport, it sits right on the glistening waters edge surrounded by well maintained tropical gardens and has a small but beautiful pool, staff are friendly and attentive however the rooms are very basic and not comfortable, the walls need repainted with some artwork, beds and bedding need replaced, we had very limited hot water with poor water pressure, the TV was 20 years old and didn't function, we didn't choose the hotel to stay in the room and watch TV so this didn't spoil the experience, the bar is well stocked with loads of gorgeous cocktails to choose from and the food menu is pretty good too, I'd say its quite expensive compared with UK prices although similar to other bars and restaurants on the island, we attended the Melanesian night which was very enjoyable, overall I'd recommend this hotel for the friendly staff and cleanliness.

Room Tip: if you're looking of peace and tranquility ask for a room with a view over the water you'll...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Rachael A,

Thank you kindly for your review.
We are pleased that you had chosen to stay at Moorings Hotel and we shall endeavour to improve on all of your observations. As a matter of fact, all rooms are now being equipped with brand new wardrobes, all TVs being upgraded where necessary, we are currently working on in-room wall decor (we expect that to take longest given PAM and the delays in getting local art), and maintenance are due to repaint our interiors once the cyclone repairs are completed.

You will also be pleased to know that our new Executive Chef Evanne Kerr has released his new Fusion cuisine menu featuring Entrees for less than 1,000vt and Mains for no more than 2,000vt! We are definitely mindful of Vanuatu dining pricing and endeavour to meet international trends.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedback and we do hope to have the pleasure of presenting you to a vastly upgraded Moorings Hotel sometime in the near future.

Yorick Nicholls
Community of Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2015

We expent in Moorings one week and it was great. Next to the center of Port Vila, just a 5 minutes walk next to the bay, which is a beautiful walk.
The service was great and the staff really nice to us during all the time, the room is not very luxurious, standard, but enough to have a good time.
The best thing about the hotel was the great views, it is really good to just relax with a beer and enjoy the sunset at the bar.
I really recommend this hotel as comparing to the others is the one that have the best views, although others may have better facilities.

Room Tip: The rooms with views to the harbour were the best.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Yorick N, General Manager at Moorings Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2015
Dear carmenzm2015,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your time with us in Vanuatu.
The hotel is now closing for 6weeks during which we will be undertaking room renovations, amongst many other projects such as swimming pool, restaurant, roofing renovations, etc... A long awaited opportunity since September 2014 when Moorings changed ownership and management.

We hope to have the pleasure of introducing you to the new Moorings Hotel post March 2015 and until then we wish you a very prosperous new year 2015!

Kind regards

Been to Moorings Hotel? Share your experiences!