I'd stayed at the Coconut Palms previously, at the time the apartments were being built. I was happy with my stay and felt it was good value for money, so I booked to stay there again on this trip, in a room with shared facilities, same as preniously.
I can see a lot has been done since my first visit. The garden has been extended and landscaped, and it is nice to relax in. The rooms have been painted and some new interior decorations added. Last time coathangers were in short supply, but now there are nice wooden ones. The mattress seemed new and was very comfortable. I was satisfied with the room.
However, the refurbishment hasn't extended to the bathrooms, which seem to have got worse. Hot water was erratic. I tried all the showers on the 3rd floor, in search of reliable hot water but none of them supplied it. The best one delivered a couple of minutes of water at a good temperature before suddenly turning really hot. Trying to moderate the temperature with the cold tap, just turned the water freezing cold. They really need to invest in upgrading the plumbing.
I also felt the meals weren't as good value as last time. The fruit platter in the continental breakfast is definitely smaller - it used to be a whole plate of fruit and now the fruit and the toast come on the same plate.
The staff were friendly and helpful. The bedside lamp wasn't working when I arrived and it was replaced immediately, at a speed not often encountered in Vanuatu! I queried a charge on my bill, and the receptionist quickly worked out that there had been a transcription error. She corrected this without any fuss. The restaurant staff remembered my preferences for coffee and to have plenty of water with a meal. They seemed genuinely interested in my activities for the day, and how it had been.
This place has its good points, particularly location, but it is really let down by those bathrooms which impact my value for money rating. I'd give it a qualified recommendation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the Award Wining, Coconut Palms Resort we pride ourselves as "Your Vanuatu Friend" where our happy staff will do everything possible to ensure that you: Stay, Relax & Enjoy all that the resort and beautiful Vanuatu has to offer. We are governed by our mission: "To be the best value resort in Vanuatu where service is not compromised and happy memories are guaranteed." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Coconut Palms Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coconut Palms Hotel Port Vila
- Coconut Palms Resort Vanuatu/Port Vila