“Overpriced, very run down.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Coconut Palms Resort

Save Saved
You added Coconut Palms Resort to your Saves list
Coconut Palms Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Cornwall Street, PO Box 1515, Port Vila, Efate, Vanuatu   |
Ranked #32 of 43 hotels in Port Vila
Canada
“Overpriced, very run down.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I booked this online in a hurry because my flight connection was missed to Tanna and I was stuck in Vila for the night. It was not my first choice, but others were full, this one had space, it seemed everyone knew where it was.

The internet is very poor, the room is not completely clean, the service is largely best described as like molasses... It took 10 mins to see if one of their items in the restaurant was available ( they had posters up advertising it ) and in the end I would just say forget it, too much trouble. The pizza there was pretty horrible, the breakfast OK. The lobby and rooms are very run down, despite what a humid climate can do, the cushions for instance on the couches are more than grubby, they are filthy.

No local buses will stop here, I travelled to the airport next morning and the taxi driver ( who admitted he had a deal with the hotel ) tried to rip us off - I had to mention we could just talk to the police.. Then of course his tune changed. The police confirmed to me this is a scam run with the taxis.

The room was booked online and I walked over right away but there seemed to be much confusion over having a room ready. I had to wait some time.

Didn't use the pool, but sitting beside it in the restaurant - well they allow smoking in it and they allow smoking around the pool it all blows however directly over where you sit to eat. The furnishings are very, very, very worn out in the restaurant too. The wait for food is amazingly long... They literally have time to run to the market for every item you order.

In the room, the bathroom was adequate, I did not want to sleep in the bed sheets and looking at the AC on the wall, well to say you hack dirt off with a chisel would be putting it mildly. Tis place is a good walk from the beach or the town centre, so it doesn't have a great location. Next door is a yard where they burn garbage so my room window had to be closed for hours on end as the smoke smell was pretty rough.

Given the choice, would not return. If you are really desperate enough to stay here, sleeping in the waiting area at the airport would be a far more hygienic experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed in an apartment which was facing the garden area, it was very quiet and relaxing. The flowers, fruit & the way that our room was presented on arrival was very welcoming... a lovely touch. The room & ensuite were cleaned well & the towels changed daily. The bed was very comfortable. The room had both an A/C & ceiling fan which worked very well. The hot water in the shower was a bit 'hit & miss' and the day that we were without hot water, the maintenance man repaired immediately.
Sitting outside by the pool to eat was so relaxing. The daily buffet breakfast was lovely. The fresh tropical fruit was delicious. The sweet bread rolls were so nice. The food in the restaurant was some of the best that we had whilst in Port Vila. Reasonably priced and always very tasty. We were always too full for dessert.
The Melanesian Feast on Tuesday night was great!! Chief Jemo gave us a very good entertaining night. The Ni-Vanuatu buffet was awesome!! The entertainment was excellent!
The staff were so friendly, polite and happy to assist as needed. We were greeted everyday with a very friendly smile & chat from the staff.
Coconut Palms is a short walk to the markets and the supermarket. The walk back up the steps can be a bit challenging in the humidity & heat, otherwise there are buses everywhere if you prefer.
We really enjoyed our stay in our apartment at the Coconut Palms Resort & will stay again :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rotorua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed in a single room, small with a desk fan attached to the wall.Shared bathroom and toilet. The room was hot but it was the wet season and was to be expected.The room was spotless and cleaned daily. Shower was just outside my room, very handy to cool off late at night.The only downside was I had booked a ride from the airport to the Coconut Palms which did not turn up, as I did not have their contact details I could not ring and had to get a taxi to the resort.On arrival I found the staff friendly and welcoming.There are plenty of activites and as a singleton it was was easy to meet other geusts. The pool area was a God send in the heat and a great way to unwind and cool off. The guy at the tourist desk was great when I turned up first day to "get touring " he said "relax you are on holiday just relax" I took his advice spent a day by the pool then headed out on tours it was such good advice as I needed the down time. There are plenty of things to do at night you are never lonely.I got a little bored with breakfast watered down fruit juice tomato eggs and sweet buns every day for a week, although the fresh fruit was wonderful.
I found Coconut Palms a great place to stay and would stay again. Oh yes free wifi hepled me keep on touch with friends and family.

Room Tip: The single rooms are very hot in summer with no ensuite but showers are close by
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Very nice hotel/resort with extremely friendly staff, great pool. Not from from downtown Port Vila, (comfortable 10 minute walk) but I would have like a sea view or being closer to a beach. Not all rooms have aircon, although this should be a prerequisite, as it can be rather hot and humid.

Room Tip: Decide whether you want a room with en suite bathroom , otherwise you share; there are rooms with mi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed in a Superior Orchid room which was pretty small,but had an ensuite,small balcony and air conditioning.It was serviced everyday.I beleive there are larger rooms but you have to share a bathroom which is outside the room.
The pool was lovely,not heated but the weather was hot so it didnt need to be.there was plenty of lounging space around the pool.
the dining area was nice as it was covered but outside,it was good catching up with other tourists at breakfast time.
We enjoyed the quiz fire dancing nights.There is ahelpful staff who can arrange any tours you are interested in.
we had agreat breakfast every day which was included in the price as well as $100 spending money for the hotel.
If you are expecting large luxury rooms you might be disappointed.
coconut palms is an easy walk to port vila shops and waterfront.
we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I came for a relaxed getaway, and for the price we payed for a room with aircon, ceiling fan, queen bed, balcony, tv and a private bathroom, we were more than surprised with the quality of the food and staff hospitality.

The restaurant had a wide variety of food enough to enough to cater to my allergies while upholding great quality and taste.

The staff are fantastic and will greet you every morning and afternoon with a big smile and are never too busy to stop and help you with anything you need, there is a little bit of a language barrier at first but once they get to know you a little, communicating wont be a problem

Its a great social place for meeting people and having a drink, with and event everynight and happy hour everday.

the buffet breakfast is a bit limited, but if your not fussed with scrambled eggs, tomatoes, fruit and cereal you should be fine.

the house keeping it fantastic the room is cleaned daily to a high quality.

the hot water can be a bit tricky to get to a good temperature and sometime drops out all together but we were grateful there water

the slamming of doors i the hallways and be a little noisy and we stayed in the room that was closest to the bar which doesn't close until around 11 but the noise didn't bother us too much

All in all a fantastic stay and we recommend in particular to younger travelers

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had a really great time in Vanuatu, the people were very cheerful and helpful. The front desk people were always willing to help by giving good traveling tips. The staff were fantastic and they work so hard keeping the place clean and tidy. For a budget accommodation it exceeded my expectation. We paid a little bit extra to get air conditioning and ceiling fan (nothing to break the bank) The room included a stove and fridge with utensils. Also housekeeping lady was lovely and kept our room immaculate. Every night the hotel will organize a fun evening and will provide free snacks at times. For such a small place the locals/workers were always willing to go the extra mile. So if your like me who wants a bit of both worlds and willing to get a taste of Vanuatu this is the place to start! Oh don't be afraid to give your left over Vatu to your favorite staff member for going the extra mile! See you soon coconut palms

Room Tip: Ensure to have written confirmation of your room and costs
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Coconut Palms Resort? Share your experiences!