“Great value for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coconut Palms Resort

You added Coconut Palms Resort to your Saves list
Coconut Palms Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Cornwall Street, PO Box 1515, Port Vila, Efate, Vanuatu   |
Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in Port Vila
Brisbane, Australia
“Great value for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Well located with a short 5 min walk into town. Ive stayed at coconut several times now & the staff are always great. I have stayed all around in Vila many times at different places & i keep coming back to Coconut. The food is fast & very nice particularly their pizzas. Nakamal is next door for some kava & there is a small shop across the road for small eats etc.

As for people complaining about power outages, this is a developing country & its hardly the fault of the resort if they lose power. Staff will go out of their way to help you with anything & if you do have any issues then pipe up & ask, management & staff will always help you.

Room Tip: If you dont get a room with air conditioning you only have yourself to blame...its the tropics guys.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I've been here nearly ten times over the last four years. The location is a little way back from town, in that you can walk without any problems other than raising a small sweat - depending on the heat of the sun. The buildings have a very pleasant pacific feel in design and décor, with open, cool spaces. There are a number of well attended regular events such as Trivia night. You are situated in a reasonably quiet area, right next to the ministry of health, across the road from the prison (you wouldn't recognise it - don't worry about it) and near the hospital. There is a very wide variation on the rooms, some are rather cramped, some are much more spacious - but still pretty average. They are somewhat run down, but nothing that would surprise anyone on budget travel around the pacific. The food at the restaurant can be hit and miss, depending who they have hired at the time - sometimes the meals are first class and I don't have to go anywhere else, recently they are very average, but a short stroll into town gives you a reasonable selection of excellent restaurants to choose from. Wireless internet is now free, this service seems to vary from stay to stay, there are plenty of dark spots and weak connections but mostly quite good for the South Pacific. The pool is in frequent use by guests - so must be quite good although not my thing. There is a corner store right next door, and a money machine at the fuel station about 100m down the road that takes foreign cards and spits out local Vatu. Mini buses are forever moving people around to the various tourist places. The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. Perhaps not the perfect place for a romantic getaway but certainly an excellent base for adventures in Port Vila.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a good room, not a small one. You need a desk to work at.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed one week at CP but were not impressed by anything except the breakfasts. We could not get hot water for a shower or a shave except for a few seconds. We had three power outages at night and while they were not long they were scary. The toilet seat was not attached and caused discomfort. There were no chairs in the room so we had to sit on the bed witha metal headrest to watch TV and I ended up with backache.I would not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We returned again for our final night before early morning flight back to NZ.
It's not the ritz and the price you pay reflects that, however we've found it suitable - close to town - easy walk or cheap taxi / bus ride. Stayed on the units on the roadside for the first time and didn't find the noise a problem. We had understood that ALL the bathrooms were being renovated (we advised that in October 2011 when we stayed) but I don't think much has been done on the room we stayed in, however, it is suitable for a short stay. Not a place I'd stay if I was only staying in Port Vila - I'd prefer more beach surroundings.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed two nights at Coconutpalms with my three children (13,10,10).
I had booked everything back in Australia, with the help of Laura who was wonderful.
Everything lived up to what I expected.
We booked an apartment, which was clean and bright,
The staff where very helpful.
Breakfast was great, the pool was small but clean and the children enjoyed it.
It's only a five minute walk to town so was perfect for our last day of shopping.
The guy on the tour desk rang around all the resort's till he found me a feast to go to.
I would recommened this hotel for a short stay, it was perfect.
It's not a five star resort, but it's great value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I booked the Coconut Palms through Wotif.com on the recommendation of a friend who had just been in Port Vila. Unfortunately, the first night they put me in a room that was small, no WiFi and tiny bath that was quite a let down compared to what I had been led to expect. So I complained, in particular about no WiFi since that is important to me in my work. Expecting to be rejected I was surprised to have the acting General Manager come down and arranged for me to stay in another nearby room that was larger, had perfect Wifi and in addition he moved in a work table and chair and a small table for my toiletries in the bath. He said that because the hotel was full that I would have to move back to the small room on the last night but for all but that last night the big room was mine. Hooray. That has been my experience all week - very friendly and accommodating staff that do all they can to make my stay pleasant and comfortable. It is not a large hotel and not really a "resort" in the sense of beaches and such but good food, decent rooms and friendly staff. So I will be back. My room has a small refrigerator and a microwave and I am told some of the rooms have a full kitchen. Hope you are not much of a TV addict though, the three stations that had clear pictures were two sports station (one had two nights of snooker championships - yawn) and a music video station. The free WiFi was ok though variable in bandwidth and not available in all rooms so if that is important to you check it out before accepting the room. Some evening entertainment, a local "feast" and Kava party on Tuesday, Reggae night on the weekend, etc. Good tour desk and limited menu but good food. Location is quiet but within easy walking distance of "downtown", supermarkets, etc. By Pacific Island standards, very good all things considered.

Room Tip: Careful with the rooms with numbers 100-110. Some are like jail cells, others quite nice. 105 is not...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We arrived at the Resort only to be told our rooms were not ready as they were being cleaned. After finally getting our rooms which were the Superior Orchid, they were both totally different to the ones we thought we had booked (after looking on Website). One half the size of the other, vanity was filthy and moldy with some type of silicon around plughole, shower head was hanging from taps as was broken, beds were very hard with wrought iron ends that were sharp and scratched my leg!!! After cpmplaining to reception staff following day we were told all issues would be looked into and were also shown a container full of brand new comfortable mattresses which we were told we would get that day. After a day out and returning to the resort not one of the issues had been resolved. After spreaking to staff asking for a refund we were told to speak to manager which my partner did via cellphone, his response"if i gave everyone who wasnt happy a refund i would be broke". AWESOME attitude.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
CoconutPalmsVanuatu, Manager at Coconut Palms Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Joanne T

Thank you so much for your feedback. it is always good to get feed back both positive and negative, as you would remember at the hotel we promote TripAdvisor.com in a very big way. With over 8 digital screens strategically positioned around the hotel asking people to take the time out to review us through this channel. I would like to thank you for taking the time out to do so, especially so long after your stay with us.
We do generally try to have rooms for when people when they arrive at the hotel, we go as far as asking for peoples flight numbers, so we can work out their arrival time to help priorities with room cleaning. In saying this our official check in time is 2pm. I hope you took advantage of our free luggage storage, and offer of towel and area to freshen up not to mention full use of all the hotel facilities while you were waiting.
I am very sorry there was an error in the room you were provided with and that this impacted so heavily on your experience at the hotel. All our Superior Orchard rooms have their own private bathroom, so from what i can gather it sounds like you were given the correct room, it may have been a case that our website was hard to navigate around, as we are certainly not in the game of misleading people, we would much rather exceed expectations. Rest assured our website is currently undergoing a re-haul and should be better than ever in the not to distant future.

In regards to our bathrooms, earlier this year we have a major renovation which saw the upgrade of some bathrooms, rooms, and public areas. Please check out our Facebook page for pictures of the new bathrooms and public areas, i am sure you will be very impressed.

We do take cleaning and hygiene very seriously at the hotel and you will be glad to hear, only two weeks ago a couple of our team took out 2 Bronze Medals in the housekeeping category at the 2012 Culinary Show

Also i am very sorry that your bed was uncomfortable, as you mentioned we had just taken a delivery of brand new mattresses, and we have now swapped out the older mattresses, i apologise this was not completed before your departure.

Thank you again for you valuable feedback.

Regards

Elliot Agius

Been to Coconut Palms Resort? Share your experiences!