“Ok” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Not bad, not the best though. Food was fresh, just lacked a bit of atmosphere and the staff weren't really there to play. Would go back and give them another chance.

Visited July 2014

Port Vila, Vanuatu
“Consistently good Chinese food - I think the best in Vila.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

This is still my preferred Chinese restaurant in Port Vila.

The spicy squid is always nice and never tough (I suspect that it may well be packaged frozen squid) though to be picky I would like the chilli on it to be chopped finely rather than sliced.

We tried the fish in black bean sauce this time and I was very pleasantly surprised. I thought that the black bean sauce may have overpowered the dish especially the fish but it didn't. It's a very nice dish and I'll definitely have it again.

The only red wine available by the glass is a French red and it's drinkable.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Port Vila, Vanuatu
“Favorite meal in Vila, no contest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I have no opinion on the ongoing debate about the timing of courses or whether it's authentic Chinese or not, but Golden Port has my vote simply for being delicious. It's miles above the many takeaways in town that I wouldn't feed my dog from, it has a lovely view and a nice atmosphere, the portions are generous and the prices reasonable. My favorites are the sizzling plates-the beef in black pepper sauce or honey filet in black pepper sauce, and I also like the chicken in black bean sauce. We usually get the spring rolls to split and a glass of wine or bottle of Nambawan beer and we're all set.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Port Vila, Vanuatu
“Chinese resaurant with Chinese decor, good food and great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Friends told us not to go there but then they obviously prefer pseudo Chinese food. The two of us (both Westerners) had worked in China so we understand how Chinese food is served and were also not averse to trying something different. For those reviewers who think that there are entrees and main courses in Chinese restaurants then you don't understand the way Chinese food is served.

We had hot and sour soup, kung po chicken, vegetable and garlic and, red and white sauce rice. The soup arrived first and had just the right amount "heat" and a good balance of flavours - I'd have it again. The other dishes arrived as they were cooked - it's a Chinese restaurant not a Western restaurant.

The kung po chicken I'd have again.

The vegetable was kang kong (or something similar) and at least it was an Asian vegetable (not like the Harbour View Restaurant) but it was tough and barely edible - a disappointment.

Neither of us had come across the rice dish before and it was interesting. If you are expecting standard rice this then this is not for you. It's a dish on its own and not an accompaniment like plain rice. It was great to try it but I probably wouldn't have it again unless in a group as the serving was too big for two of us and I would also like some other rice.

We were served by local staff who were friendly, engaging and efficient. The décor is Chinese (but not garish) and the eating area roomy with plenty of space between tables. I don't think there is air conditioning but it is not needed anyway. There are overhead fans and wide open windows fang the harbour. We considered the prices to be very reasonable especially compared to Port Vila prices.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“Quality with a view!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Went to this restaurant for lunch during the week and was quality. Great tasting food, not too expensive with a great view of the water and Iririki Island.

• Visited January 2014