“Best price for quality in Vila” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sportsmens Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Vila
The Sportsmens Hotel
You added The Sportsmens Hotel to your Saves list
Opposite Parliament House, Port Vila, Efate 0000, Vanuatu   |
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Port Vila
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Barcelona, Spain
“Best price for quality in Vila”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I spent a few days in Port Vila comparing prices and facilities in various hostels and the Sportmans won hands down. I spent almost a whole month there. This year I went back to Vila and straigt back to the Sportmans, where I found that the very kind staff still remembered me well, the prices hadn't changed (for that price you usually get a pretty old and dirty place in Vila) and even the cook came to greet me with a smile, like everybody else. The place is always super clean, the staff always at hand, food is cheap... If budget is a concern, I personally don't know of a better place to stay in Vila.

Room Tip: The rooms next to the restaurant can be noisy at night if there is a concert in the restaurant.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
It was great to see you again, and the staff are still talking about it! I am glad you found consistency, as that is very hard to achieve here sometimes. We pride ourselves on our prices and cleanliness, and are happy to see it has lived up to expectations.
see you again I'm sure
Bob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Port Vila, Vanuatu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is our third time to Vanuatu and it was a pleasure to catch up with Bob, Emily and Reece again this year. The Sportsmens hotel has always provided us with great accommodation, good food and wonderful staff. We have found them all to be extremely helpful and generous with their time and resources, information and assistance. The ladies do a wonderful servicing our rooms, doing our washing, all of which is included in the price of the room. We are planning to go back next year to volunteer once again and we will be staying at the Sportsmens Hotel as we know that our needs will be catered for and our meals will be prepared by our good friend Louie and his assistants.

Thanks Bob, Emily and staff once again for having us and we look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: This is a budget hotel. There is a mixture of rooms. We have been extremely happy with the rooms we...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for your great review! we have only known you for about 2 years and yet it is like family visiting when you return each time to the Sportsmens Hotel & Emily's Cafe.
We know you love Reece as much as we do!
Please make sure you give us plenty of notice before your next visit as we are filling up quickly and our new 28 rooms will be finished in the next 6 months.
Regards & love from Bob Emily & Reece
Palmerston North
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was in Port Vila for 5-weeks as a student working at the local hospital and the Sportmen's hotel provided me with excellent, affordable accomodation and great hospitality for the duration of my stay. Bob and Emily were very generous, forthcoming with local knowlege & advice and the staff were always friendly & helpful. The majority of my stay was spent staying in shared facility accomodation which was clean and basic - just what I needed. The rooms were secure. While there are no kitchen facilities available for visitors staying at the Sportsmen's still ended up significantly cheaper for me as a solo traveller even once I included a meal from Emily's cafe each night (and the bonus was - I didn't have to cook at the end of a long shift!) Close to town and the hospital the Sportmen's hotel is in an ideal location for students undertaking placements at the hospital.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is always a pleasure to have students staying with us. We do pride ourselves on the quality of the rooms for the 'budget' price, and yes, it is a bonus for guests having Emilys cafe on site with inexpensive top quality meals not only for guests but for anyone wanting a good home cooked meal at a low price. Would love to have you back
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

In my first trip to Port Vila, I spent a very pleasant night at the Sportsmens Hotel dining on wonderful fish and chips (served with a finger bowl to wash hands) and engaging in delightful conversation with the owners Bob and Emily and their beautiful little boy Reece. As a single woman travelling alone, I was made to feel very welcome with Bob inviting me to join his table for dinner. Later in the evening Bob and Emily organised for their own private driver to drive me back to the accommodation I'd booked earlier in the day. This genuine consideration for my well being and willingness to go beyond any reasonable duty of care (gods you can tell I come from the nanny country - LOL !!!!) was not only surprising but gratefully received. When I returned to Port Vila after a delightful stay on one of the outer Islands, Bob arranged for me to have access to a room where I could rest, shower and leave my bags - for no cost - before my late afternoon flight. I have travelled the world but I have never known such genuine consideration. Funny, engaging, thoughtful, considerate - that's Bob.
Just a word of warning - it is a Sportmens bar and like so many around the world it has concrete floors, plastic chairs and a converted container as a kitchen and bar. If you are into the superficial or a snob this isn't the place to visit, but if you know how to kick back, get with the program, enjoy great fresh food at very good prices, engage in interesting conversation and meet some locals, this is the first place to go. Thank you Bob and Emily for making me so welcome and for going the extra mile - Emily especially thankyou for the Malibu and coconut cocktail - yum!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thanks LeeGunn, for the great review!
I was only too happy to help you with your travel plans - and rest between flights.
Anything we can do to help , we do.
I am happy you enjoyed your stay, and the food and 'drinks' - staff and my family.
We hope you will return soon for another 'cocktail' lol
regards
Bob Emily & Reece
Tuross Head
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

J & J had the pleasure of returning to Port Vila in May crusing with Carnival Spirit. We had our children and our grandchildren with us. In the morning we took them to Earakor Island. Later went back to our favourite haunt The Sportsmens Hotel. Not only did Bob and Emily wine and dine us, they also had some staff keep an eye on our grandkids. Then if that was noy enough, they organised as a special treat local island dancers to put on a one and a half hour show at bargain basement price. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thanks Jim, was great to see you all again. The staff just adore looking after the children,so no worries there! and the dancers have become a 'favourite' here..a bit of culture during your short stay in Port Vila. Come a stay longer next time - you'll be in for a treat!
Bob & Em
Balmoral, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Our stay was for 9 nights in the Sportsmens Hotel our rooms were comfortable & very clean.The food at Emily's 24/7 cafe was tops & reasonably priced. BOB. EMILY & STAFF were very friendly & helpful. All this and only a short walk to the main shopping centre. THE ONLY PLACE TO STAY IN PORT VILA .
RON & ROBERT VIC AUS.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thanks guys! It was fun having you here.Glad you were happy with everything, and we hope to see you again soon. Thank so much for the review
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was my 7th visit to Port Vila, but my first as a single traveller. I wanted somewhere budget, but pleasant to stay while I got my Scuba Certificate and generally just enjoy the local area. I chose the Sportsmens for lots of reasons, but the mains ones were the easy access to town and Au Bon Marche Nambatu and having Emily's Cafe on site for when I didn't feel like venturing far for food or a drink and having wi fi Internet access is now high on my want list.

After booking into the Sportsmens for my first night I wasn't sure how long I would stay, but after Bob moved me into the large and airy downstairs ensuite room with separate bedroom, I soon became very comfortable and stayed for 9 of my 13 nights. The room is actually a 2 bedroom unit with a kitchenette (sink, benches and fridge, but no cooking/cutlery or crockery), separate lounge/dining area, shower room and separate toilet. The 2nd bedroom was locked for the duration of my stay as I had no need for it, but the other areas were so roomy, comfortable and clean that I really felt at home and was able to keep my belongings neat during my stay. This is something that's so hard if you don't have a bit a storage and room to move. My bedroom had a comfortable double bed with crisp, clean sheets and pillows, a ceiling fan, bedside table and storage shelf. The storage shelf was my favourite piece of furniture during my stay. It allowed me to unpack and have my belongings out of my bag so I could find things easily. It might sound like a small thing, but it's not common to be able to do this.

I thoroughly enjoyed the meals I had at Emily's and there's so much to choose from. I like the local style and flavours and sometimes that means a few more bones or different cuts than you might be used to. I loved the chicken curry, followed by ice cream served in a glass for dessert.

The staff at Emily's and the Sportsmens are all lovely to deal with and generally happy to have a chat if time permits.

Access to town is easy if you walk to the right and then turn left when you get to the roundabout. Follow that road until you reach a steep staircase and you will come out opposite The Grand. Quick and easy, if you don't mind "a few" steps.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
thank you so much for your extensive review, it was a pleasure having you here - the staff also enjoyed your company. We strive for perfection - as a budget accommodation, and seems like we have done that for you. Emily's is a great addition to the accommodation as the inexpensive meals bring you the entire accommodation/meals experience.
Thank you again for your review and we'd love to have you back - maybe 'both' of you next time
Bob & Emily

Been to The Sportsmens Hotel? Share your experiences!