“Mi Like'um” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sportsmens Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Vila
The Sportsmens Hotel
You added The Sportsmens Hotel to your Saves list
Opposite Parliament House, Port Vila, Efate 0000, Vanuatu   |
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Port Vila
Port Vila, Vanuatu
“Mi Like'um”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Well run hotel in Port Vila. Just opposite the Vanuatu parliament house. Good clean rooms at a reasonable price for short stays, young travellers and the single business man. Staff are great. The manager keeps a close eye on all to make sure the guests get the best. 24 hour café attached to the hotel with good selection of meals at good prices.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thanks Pete for your review...the great thing with the 'open 24 hours' is you have an inexpensive place to stay when you had a 'few too many'! lol.
As one of our regulars, we're glad we are still able to please you.
Thanks again, Bob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Accomodation was basic but with excellent value. The food was fantastic, excellent, for value at Emily's cafe which is joined to the main hotel. There was a live band on certain nights. The Australian owner was very accommodating and helpful with information with regards to what to do and what to see and basically trip advice.

Keith from England and Jessie from Singapore
Still trying to stop smoking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you Jessie & Keith for the review, happy to be accommodating with both entertainment & information. Good luck with trying to stop smoking. see you again.
Bob & Emily
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently stayed four nights at The Sportsmen's Hotel and was impressed with what this Hotel offers. The rooms are clean and comfortable. It is a safe environment, located an easy walking distance from the shops and markets. The restaurant (Emily's Cafe) is open 24/7 and provides a range of delicious meals of generous proportions and very reasonable prices. The owner (Bob), an Australian, is able to provide excellent advice on sightseeing options, services and all manner of things to look out for in Port Vila and beyond. He couldn't be more helpful. He, Emily and all of the staff provide a terrific level of service. I doubt that there would be anywhere in Port Vila offering better value for money in terms of meals and accommodation. it was a pleasure to stay at the Sportsmen's.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are proud of the way our housekeeping ladies put the utmost importance on the cleanliness and tidiness of the rooms. I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We're always happy to answer questions you may have on where to go and what to see during your stay in Vanuatu. We were delighted to have you with us and certainly hope we will have you stay with us again in the future!
Regards
Bob & Emily
Heilbronn, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in the Sportsmens Hotel. Rooms are basic, but clean and you won't find a better price for accomodation in Port Vila. The staff and the owner Bob were always friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Basic, yes, but hence the great price! Clean & comfortable accommodation.
I really appreciate your review.
Merimbula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

One of the best value places in Vanuatu, clean,helpful and very friendly. Ran into the owner, Coconut Bob, from Australia with a wealth of information it's part of Emily's cafe which is a 24 hour cafe selling hamburgers ,fish and chips,Vanuatuan steak etc.
The beer's icy cold and there's an interesting cross section of people who stay there.
Which makes it even more interesting
They have an ATM which pays out in Australian dollars which you can trade in which l prefer just so l know where l am.
Highly recommended

Room Tip: I checked out 3 rooms before l chose which one.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you for your great review! It was fun having you stay with us. Having the cafe/bar I'm sure contributed your your enjoyable stay, and the ATM has been very popular.
see you again soon I hope!
'Coconut Bob'
brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Last week I had the pleasure of spending 3 nights at the Sportsman Hotel, it's great value and well run and importantly it's clean. A basic rooms sells for about 30.00 Australian Dollars.
Close by, is "Emily's" Eatery which sells the the best "value meals"Fish,chicken and local steak,along with blackboard specials.These meals have to be the best value in the south pacific and cost about 10.00 Australian dollars.The Hotel is centrally located It's a easy walk down to the town,if your on business.
I recommend it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Well your review says it all! Thank you for taking the time to write it for us, it is greatly appreciated as we know how much importance is put on 'value for money' while traveling.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I would suggest to stay here is all you are looking for is somewhere cheap to sleep. I had a very spacious room with an en-suite, double bed, mini fridge and fan (on a stand not a ceiling one).

You are not allowed to bring food into the restaurant down stairs, which I think is reasonable. Emily's cafe is open 24/7 which is really convenient, but not being able to self cater means that the expenses start to pile up.

My room was on the second floor and had quite bad air flow which meant that I was very hot most of the time. This was when I first arrived in Vanuatu, so perhaps I had not adjusted to the temperature properly, but I later stayed in rooms with only fans or no fans at all and I was fine.

I generally had peaceful nights.

The general atmosphere of the hotel was not very social. To escape the heat I would hang out and read downstairs next to the cafe. Both areas had TVs showing Australian News- it just wasn't the atmosphere I was looking for.

The location was pretty good, not too far to walk to the market, but did involve a hill.

I would only suggest staying here if Travellers Budget Motel was full and you didn't want to break the budget.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
I am sorry you had trouble with the heat - this is the tropics after all. The humidity in January & February can be quite high, however, the use of pedestal fans contribute to the 'low budget' prices and do give some relief.
Thank you for your understanding with regard the 'no brought in food', but we do have the cafe which also offers low cost snacks & meals for your convenience.
I thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.

Been to The Sportsmens Hotel? Share your experiences!