“Iririki 2013 improvements needed!” 4 of 5 stars

Iririki Island Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Iririki Island, Port Vila, Efate, Vanuatu   |
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Port Vila
Melbourne
“Iririki 2013 improvements needed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

There was a lack of sheets, dirty curtains, stained old towels, and extremely run down rooms. Floor boards in most areas needed fixing too in both the rooms and other areas of the island. For people to have to desire to come back to iririki it is necessary that they should update the rooms.

Absolutely fantastic service from local staff, they went to all lengths to help in any way they could. The water sports, snorkelling and pool facilities were also really great. The ferry was also fantastic- ensuring we never had to wait and allowed fast transition from iririki resort to port villa.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the apartments because the other rooms are very run down and need a gre...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
gmiririki, General Manager at Iririki Island Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Good Morning and thank you for your comments that you have posted on Trip Advisor

The team at Iririki are working through all areas of the resort, and upgrading and renovating, currently we are working on the Michener's Restaurant, which is going to be amazing once it is given its face lift.

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding the staff here at Iririki; I have said many times that Iririki's greatest assets, and I very proud of every single one of them

Warm Regards From Vanuatu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My wife and I spent a lot of time researching Iririki, and after reviewing it all decided that we would like an apartment on the sunset side of the island. None were available for the time we planned to be there, but a penthouse apartment - the most expensive accommodation - was, so we "locked in" the booking with their web site directly. Ten days, and promised a spa bath on the balcony and gorgeous views.
On check in, we were shown to a room just above reception, near the noisy wharf - their newest family fare. A nice room, but no bath, no sunset view. On protest to reception we were given a yarn about maintenance problems. I jumped up and down somewhat, and was then promised that the next day we would get the room promised. It later turned out that one of the owners had decided to stay on short notice, and sent the reservations into complete chaos. The newly appointed manager (turned up a day or so later) made amends on checkout, but one of our ten days was pretty wrecked.
So to more substantive issues:
The place is very pleasant, the local staff exceptionally friendly and attempt to be helpful, in the main. As you walk around, you are greeted as you pass anyone. The view from our apartment when we got to it was great, setting sun, cruise liners silently passing by within 500 metres, snorkelers cove - which I visited twice a day - a mere 200 metres or so away. If you look you can find a great variety of fish and coral down there - great relaxing place to swim, they provide flippers and goggles/snorkel.
Restaurants were "interesting" - first night we asked for a bottle of red with our dinner, it took the staff an hour to get back and confess they had run out. This was at Mitcheners, the restaurant they describe as adult, excellent, child free. Except that first night the only other guests there was a wedding party with screaming children.
We found their "Watermark" restaurant at the other end of the island far better, more cluey staff and an excellent menu, both for variety and value.
The Bali Hi bar next to Mitcheners is great, they make a brilliant espresso coffee - which they also provide at breakfast = which is in the Mitcheners restaurant.
From what we saw, we would try to avoid apartments at the southern end of the island, near the larger swimming pool - all day that is full of family groups, and the apartments are right on top of it. The western side is lovely and quiet, while the eastern side between Mitcheners and the reception & jetty is continually busy as the islands ferry runs 24 hours a day.
The service and ambience can be very pleasant, though erratic. As an example, you are often told that you are welcome to a ride from reception to your room - and we did that on a few times, it is quite a walk in the humid heat. But if a wedding is in progress, the service is all focused on them - "No, you can't have a ride round we are dealing with a wedding". Snorkeler's Cove is a haven - if there is not a wedding down there. The events that happen get in the way of other guests enjoyment, but I guess they are money spinners.
The rooms are clean and "bright" for the conditions - a brief look shows the challenge of dealing with the humidity, there is green mould on any surface that can't be easily reached and cleaned.
I'd go back in a flash, but the next time: I would have my room type / description on a piece of paper at check in, and ask before being shown a room if that is where we were being sent. My wife's reaction to the let down quite spoilt the first day and evening.
We mixed eating on the island with eating out - ate "in house" on four nights out of ten, once at Mitcheners, one "romantic balcony dinner" and twice at Watermark. Breakfast was large and generous, additional charge for the espressos, but they were worth it.
The one sour note - on departure the head of security checks out the rooms. Sure, they have to. But the style of the approach while you are still there rather tarnished the experience for me.

Room Tip: Apartments and penthouse apartments have spa baths on the balcony, and typically great views. Garden...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
gmiririki, General Manager at Iririki Island Resort, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Good morning and thanks for the feedback on Trip Advisor

I apologise for the confusion on your check in with the room allocation and I am glad that this was rectified by the Rooms Division Manger.

Thank you for honest feedback regarding our Restaurants, and I very pleased that you enjoyed the Watermark Restaurant.

Apologise for the inconvenience caused by the Wedding, however you can understand that when we are dealing with a couples "big day" they do get a lot of attention; however we only ever allocate one bus for a wedding group, so I am unsure why this would have effected your ability to get a lift to your room. Yes at time we do close down areas of the resort - for 1-2 hours for a wedding, but we don't believe that this should have too much of an impact on your overall stay.

We do have security check departure rooms, but the idea here is that if the guest has left anything behind we can send it to them straight away, I will brief the chief of security to ensure that this does not happen again

Once again thank you for your comments, and look forward to welcoming you back to our island

Tropical Regards
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was a family holiday with our 3 year old, and it was perfect for this purpose. The staff absolutely love kids and he was well looked after. We stayed in a Deluxe Oceanview apartment, and it was a good size with a beautiful view. The resort caters for kids really well with plenty of activities and the lagoon pool is perfect for them. There was even a jumping castle on some days. The ferry service from the island to Port Vila is extremely convenient and fast.

There are a few things that could easily be improved however to make this resort great. There are plenty of other reviewers that have mentioned the holes in the floor in the breakfast restaurant. It really is difficult to believe this couldn't have been fixed by now. There are also holes in the pavers on the footpath that could easily be fixed also.

The breakfast buffet is average and the hot food not great. Stick with the egg station selection. We ate at Bali Hai, Sunset Cafe and had room service. The pizza was terrible. The food at the restaurants was very average. We ended up making the effort to go to Port Vila for lunch and dinner each day. The service at Sunset was ok, but at Bali Hai it was close to non-existent.

Our room wasn't exactly spotlessly clean when we arrived. The floor was filthy and there were quite a few items in the drawers left over from previous guests. Having said that, the cleaning did improve as the week went on and it was pretty good by half way through our stay. The bathroom was clean upon arrival so no complaints there. We had a spa on the balcony which didn't work, but we were happy using the pool so didn't bother us. I had to do some work while I was there so organised internet in the room (which is chargeable and quite expensive). It is hopeless to the point of being useless, so don't waste your money. The free wifi in the cafes is slightly better, but bandwidth is poor.

The tour desk was an interesting experience. We wanted to book a tour and I was told to come back tomorrow (as the lady didn't know about the tour). The next day I was told to book it myself direct with the tour company. Tried again later that day with a different lady who was incredibly helpful and got it all sorted. So really depends on who you encounter.

Check out was a bit of a mess with us being told the wrong time for the airport transfer then nobody coming to pick up our bags. After 45 minutes of mucking around we finally got on our way but the transfer driver wasn't too happy being made to wait so long.

Overall, we had a lovely time and the staff are very nice - just that some are much better trained than others. The food needs a serious overhaul, maintenance needs to be a bit more diligent and general attention to detail could be improved. The positives probably do outweigh the negatives however, and I would recommend this resort for a fun family holiday. If you go with a relaxed attitude and won't be bothered by the little things, this place is great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Salutations and thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor

I am very pleased to say, that in two days, we will start the renovation on the Michener's and Bali Hai, restaurant, unfortunately we have had to wait until we are a little bit quieter, and now is the time; I am Very Excited !

Thank you for comments regarding breakfast - I am pleased to report that the Chef has just implemented a new rotation of the breakfast buffet, so hopefully we will have covered that part of your review already.

We have let ourselves down I believe in regards to your room on check in; and I have followed up with the Housekeeper to ensure that the procedures we have in place, for checking rooms for arrival are closely followed.

Internet is very slow in Vanuatu, and we now have free Wi-Fi in all of the restaurants and bars over the resort; pleased to let everyone know that Fibre Optic Cable submarine cable is being laid, which will be complete in February, which should give us speeds comparable or better than Australia and New Zealand.

There are a couple of other issues here that I have addressed with the departments concerned; feedback is very important as it enables us to continually train and improve.

Glad that overall you enjoyed your holiday, and hopefully you will come back in the near future and you can see the new Michener's and Bali Hai areas.

Warm Regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

A friend and I just spent 4 nights on Iririki. The rooms on the surface are a bit tired and need maintenance but was clean and pleasant to stay in. Free Wi-fi, good satellite tv, air con and private balcony. We got buffet breakfast with the room which was great. Go for the omelets made my the chef. We visited the bali hai bar for dinner twice and was quite disappointed, don't be fooled by the menu descriptions. Had dessert at Michener's restaurant too and thought it was of average quality. We visited the spa twice also and thought for the cost it was an average service. No hot towels to start off a massage, just straight on the massage oil. Great pools for swimming in and free gym to use and 24 hour free boat service to the city. The best view of the water and coral, great to be away from the hussle'n'bussle of the city. If I stayed there again I would do more research about places to eat in the city.

Room Tip: I booked a island fare with garden view room which was one row back from the ocean view rooms but mu...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Good day to you from Iririki Island Resort, we would like to thank you for the comments that you have left for us on Tripadvisor.

Would be great if you could elaborate, regarding your experience at Bali Hai, and Michener's so that I can share this with the chefs, to ensure that we maintain a level of service that I expect from my kitchen and F&B Staff; you can contact me on gm@iririki.com.

Thank you for your comments about the Spa, it is true we don't have hot towels for the massages; we find that given that temperature of the climate, most people find this uncomfortable, but this is something that I will my Spa Manager look into, on a request basis.

Once again thank you for you feedback as this always helps to ensure that we continue to improve.

Tropical Regards
Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have just returned from a week at iririki resort and loved it. The resort is beautiful and in a great location. We could walk to restaurants in Port Villa and didn't need to get taxi's or buses which was great. The ferry service is very fast and never had to wait long. There are 3 restaurants in the resort and the pool is huge. We stayed in a pool view room and would book there again. The staff were very friendly. The snorkeling was good when the tour boats threw food in, as there were loads of fish to see. Coral isn't great but still worth doing and they provide free snorkel gear to guests. Sometimes service was a little slow but that's because the locals are so relaxed and we found this at other restaurants in town also. Overall we loved it and i would highly recommend it for a great holiday resort.

Room Tip: Pool rooms were great with great views over the pool area. close to gym and tennis courts.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Salutations, and thank you for your feedback that you put on trip advisor

It is always a pleasure to respond to comments like yours, and really all I can say, we look forward to welcoming you back to our little piece of tropical paradise here in the South Pacific

Warm Regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I with our 18 month old daughter, recently spent 5 night on Iririki.
Overall I would say that the resort has great potential and it is a good resort but there are a few things that were a real disappointment that stop it from being a great resort.

Positives
Location
Accommodation options – apartments or fares
Multiple restaurants – Micheners was our favourite with a lovely menu
Plenty to do - beach, snorkel, kayak, swim, use the playground, tennis, gym etc

Negatives
The entire resort needs some serious maintenance. There are broken tiles on a number of the pools, big holes in the floor in Micheners restaurant etc. The garden fare room is adequate but is getting a bit dated. The resort was painting all the fares when we were there. I would be interested to know if they are going to invest in upgrading the inside of the fare.

Service was hit and miss. It was either great or really disappointing. The majority of the staff were very friendly especially with our daughter. However the following instances were disappointing.

On check in, the front desk attendee who checked us in gave us a very vague bored description of what was available at the resort and we had to ask if someone was going to take our bags to our room. This was our first impression of the resort and really is the opportunity for staff to sell the features of the resort which they did not do at all.

Service at the restaurants, more often than not was good. However, on one occasion in Micheners we were never offered drinks and had to go to the bar ourselves, our order was incorrect, and we asked to see the dessert menu and it never arrived.

Also we ordered the balcony dinner one night. The balcony is set up lovely but unfortunately the dinner was disappointing. We had ordered the dinner for 7.30pm so that our daughter would already be in bed asleep and we could enjoy a quiet dinner. Entrée arrived at 6.45pm, naturally our daughter was still up. We received incorrect mains. A few minutes after our main dishes were collected we were informed that our dessert options were not available and we had to select another. The actual food was very nice but the delivery of it very disappointing.

Overall the resort is very child friendly but a couple of disappointing factors were that we had requested a porta cot but received a single bed, so we made do by barricading the bed with pillows held in place with chairs to act as a safe bed for our daughter. At breakfast time there was often only 1 high chair available and with a number of families with infants this meant that you missed out regularly. I was told that the other high chairs must have been taken to the other restaurants, but considering that there is only 1 restaurant open for breakfast I would have thought that they would be returned for breakfast.

The resort has the capacity to be exceptional but really needs some investment in maintenance and management needs to ensure consistency of service from the staff. There are some that really let the place down.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
gmiririki, General Manager at Iririki Island Resort, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thanks for the comments that you have posted on Trip Advisor, feedback is always very useful.

Please be aware that the owners and myself and working very hard to turn this "good resort into a great resort" as you have said in your review.

As mentioned in some other responses from us on Trip Advisor; we are aware of the floor in Michener's, and have scheduled to renovate this area in November; whilst moving all Food and Beverage services to the other outlets on the island - so as not to interfere with the guest experience.

I am sorry that you were delivered a single bed instead of a porta cot, this should never happen, as we have pleny porta cots, I can only put this down to poor English skills of the staff, and I have spoken to both Ni Vanuatu and Expatriate management alike in regards to this.

I have addressed the other issues that you commented on in this review with the relevant department heads, and would like to assure you that this is not the level of service that my team pride themselves on, and we have let ourselves down in some regards.

Once again - thank you for your comments, should you wish to discuss anything further, please feel free to contact me on gm@iririki.com
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Firstly let me start by saying the people who wrote negative things are miserable people that can't be pleased by anyone, your negative views ruins expectations of the average traveller. Vanuatu is not a 5 star Versace/Sheraton resort country. Iririki Island Resort is a fantastic place to go for couples, friends and families. We stayed in an island fare bungalow which was a dream. It offers all the modern comforts of air-con, a lovely 4 posted bed, flat-screen tv, bar fridge, comfortable bathroom and amazing views from the balcony. The staff are friendly and very approachable and will do anything to help. Make sure you take the time to smile and greet all the locals as a smile opens many doors. The food and cocktails are truly amazing and keeping an eye out for happy hour is a must. The morning newsletter sometimes has a few mistakes so check with the staff if happy hour is on and what deals there are (Bali Hai has happy hour 4pm-5pm and not 5pm to 6pm as it says on the flyer). The island boasts a lot of rooms but I recommend the fares (bunglaows). We walked past the modern apartment buildings and although they look fantastic and might have spas on the balcony keep in mind your there for the tropical atmosphere, if you want luxury apartments then stay in Cairns. The larger apartments are probably good for parents with kids. If you get a chance try the Melanesian Feast...it is amazing what flavours one can get out of simple local foods (the banana soup was incredible). The meal was about $110 per person but at the time comes with a bar tab that lasted 3 hours or so (bonus is your a young couple). The food and beverage manager hosts the night and is really passionate for his job which reflects on the meal experience. The front desk/rooms manager joined us on the night we were there so it was good to meet the top managers. Buffet breakfast at Micheners Restaurant was great with a chef cooking eggs/omelettes to your liking and at 7:15am the croissants arrive warm so if your too early you will miss out. The ferry is always going 24 hours and the clear waters with tropical fish makes waiting the few minutes a treat. The mainland ferry landing is located pretty much in the centre of the town so everything is a quick walk away. All tours pick you up from the mainland ferry landing unless your doing a water related sport in which case they probably pick you up from the island jetty (just ask when booing). Like anything is the pacific islands it is on "island time" which means you sometimes have to wait a smidge longer to get something but your friendliness will always speed things up. Keep in mind that the island has a native/french/english/missionary/USA WWII background so there are some cultural differences and minor language barriers....if you expect something done precisely your way then take the time out to explain yourself properly....I found one lady so rude and condescending towards such a wonderful young man at the Watermark restaurant that I almost yelled abuse to the lady, it was embarrassing to watch such a pompous arrogant bit*#. If you like snorkelling there is snorkellers cove which is on the western side (other side of island to ferry/between the white apartments). It is a lovely place to go snorkelling if you like something close, Vanuatu on the whole has many places more amazing but for a place close to home it is really nice, visibility is about 10m-20m. The drinking water is safe in Port Villa and on Iririki and the shower always had hot water. I hope if you go there you enjoy your stay as much as we did and you don't want to leave at the end. Thank you so much to the staff at Iririki

Room Tip: Ask for garden fare near room 60 where we stayed as its located so conveniently near the ferry/recep...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the comments you have posed on Trip Advisor

I will pass your comments on to the team, and you I can honestly say that your comment on this forum have made my day 

Let me know when you are ready to come back and we will do something special for you

Tropical Regards from the Iririki Team

Been to Iririki Island Resort? Share your experiences!