“iririki island resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 43 hotels in Port Vila
Sydney, Australia
“iririki island resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just returned from a week at iririki island resort. We stayed in a garden fare. the rooms were adequate but probably need an update.the locations of the resort was great as it was only a 3 minute ferry ride to Port Vila. If you are after a relaxing holiday and quiet then the resort is great. Everything is spread out but easy to access by walking and the restaurants on the island are all great. The food was good but be prepared to wait a long time for service. The staff are friendly but everything is done slowly so you need to be patient. Asked for a wake up call but never got one so be aware that not everything will be perfect but I think that is vanuatu in general.
Overall had a lovely time and would recommend staying at iririki.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
gmiririki, Sales & Marketing at Iririki Island Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review on TripAdvisor.

Lovely to hear that overall you had a relaxing time on the island and we apologise that you had to wait for your meals whilst dining with us. Our kitchen staff take pride in the food that they serve the guests and we hope this was reflected when your meals arrived.

Please note that our fares are currently undergoing some refurbishments. We hope that you will get to experience these updates on a return visit to Iririki in the future and thank you very much for your recommendation.

737 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was virtually a perfect holiday where we lucky enough to get 6 days of sun!

Iririki has everything you could want. Our room was amazing (see description below), there were up to 4 bars and restaurants to pick from where the food was excellent, swim up pool bar with two fantastic pools on either side of the island, a tennis court, private beach with water sports and a the beautiful 'snorkelers cove' which had some fantastic snorkelling in beautiful clear water.

The service was excellent and all the staff were extremely helpful although seemed a little bit shy at times but still very friendly and always willing to help.

The location of the resort was fantastic. It is its own island providing a great escape away from everything to relax. A 24/7 boat service transferred you to the mainland whenever you wanted where there were some great restaurants and bars, markets and shopping and the casino all within a 2 minute walk of each other.

The tours we went on were fantastic, I highly recommend the Atmosphere tour of Blue Lagoon and Crystal Blue Resort, as well as the Cascades and Waterfalls tour.

Overall it was a very memorable 7 days and I would highly recommend this resort and just Vanuatu in general to anyone looking for a great tropical island holiday!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View room. Choose this and you will not be disappointed. The views are p...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for writing such a lovely review!

It sounds like you had a wonderful time, not only at Iririki, but in Vanuatu as a whole.

We agree the Iririki's location is impossible to beat and we're glad that you felt the same way during your stay with us.

Tropical Regards.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Myself and my husband just got back from our honeymoon at Iririki and although we had a great time, there were a few issues with the resort that disappointed us. I'd just like to start with a positive by saying that the staff are really friendly and that for the price, it's probably the best place to stay in Port Villa. However the lack of effort and attention to detail by the management really soured the experience for us.

First impressions... our flight was delayed and we arrived exhausted. The man on the front desk was really unfriendly and unwelcoming, which is so strange because the rest of the staff were fantastic. We were not offered the complimentary drink that guests are usually greeted with, which was a shame (although it was late). Also even though they knew we were on our honeymoon, we got nothing to mark the occasion, not even a congratulations. I only mention this because I know other resorts give honeymooners sparkling wine in their rooms so was a bit let down.

Then the major problem... we got to our room (an island fare) and although the interior was nice, it was covered in bugs, the sheets and towels were stained and the bathroom was a bit mouldy and dirty. It would have been so much better if someone gave it a proper scrub and ran some sealant over the cracks. As we were exhausted and it was late, we went to sleep despite these things. The next day I complained at reception but was told there were no spare rooms and that housekeeping would come round and sort the room out.

Housekeeping eventually came several hours later but didn't clean anything and although we got new towels, we were left without pillow cases bizarrely. I had to ask three times over the whole day until I finally got some pillow cases. I also had to ask several members of staff for some bug spray, which I had to use myself to get rid of the bugs as the housekeepers had clearly not been told to do so. I felt really stressed that I had to spend the first day of my honeymoon just getting the room to an acceptable standard. Once I had complained, the management should have ensured everything was sorted for me but they didn't!

This happened on another occasion, later in the week we placed our dirty towels on the floor and the housekeepers took them but didn't replace them. Again I asked several times over the whole day and no response until I chased down one of the ladies and got her to do it. Apparently no one had told her I had asked for them in the first place.

Seriously to the managers of Iririki, buy some clean/extra towels and sheets for goodness sake. Your guests shouldn't have to put up with dirty, stained towels and sheets or go without! You should have plenty! Also if the rooms have a problem with bugs (it is a tropical island) get the housekeepers to check and spray each day! Also please get them to clean the bathrooms so that your guests are not greeted with dusty/dirty facilities.

I have only two more gripes (nearly done lol)

1) food... room service and Bali Hai was horrible. I've honestly had better ready meals from the supermarket! Also we were given beers with no openers and no one came for an hour to open them so we had to eat our meal without a drink! The pizza was particularly repulsive - definitely out of a freezer rather than freshly made.

2) Day guests... the resort allows day guests onto the island, which is kind of annoying when it is already busy and you want some peace and quiet. We got into the habit of heading down to snorkeler's cove for a quiet spot and were interrupted one day by a particularly loud and drunk party of day guests. Surely if day guests are allowed, they should only be able to go to certain spots to give guests some peace and quiet and should be monitored to ensure they are not a nuisance. It was our honey moon and we just wanted a romantic, relaxing time. It's fine if some people want to party but there should be designated spots for each so everyone can be happy.

Overall we still had a lovely time but I felt disappointed that the management were not more attentive and did not take my complaint seriously. Several people I spoke to around Port Vila commented that the resort has gone down-hill. What a shame because it's a great spot! The management really should have more passion for the place to keep the standards higher.

Room Tip: Make sure you clean it yourself, the housekeepers wont!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
gmiririki, General Manager at Iririki Island Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Thank you for you comments, and I apologise for the delay in responding.

We have taken all of your comments into consideration, and have used your response as a training tool to the housekeepers on the island. All of the rooms have insect spray in them, and I am unsure why your room did not; being a tropical island it is essential.

We have let ourselves down regarding the cleanliness of your room, please understand that this is not the standard.
Regarding the pizzas, whilst you the pizza was not to standard, please understand that all pizzas are made fresh on the island.

Day guests are allowed on the island, and they do pay a fee to use the facilities, however the particular group you were referring to were a group that were staying in house, and not day guest; day guests behaving in that manner would have been removed.

Once again all your comments have been addressed, thank you for taking time to comment on tripadvisor, as this helps us continually improve on our service standards
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed at Iririki for out honeymoon in a Island Fare cabin.

Everything was pretty good, only things we had an issue with were basic things such as Toilet paper/soap/shampoo not being replenished consistently, parts of the resort seem to be dated and requiring maintenance, you will notice things like around pool edges etc. Air conditioner was very noisy and bed was typical hotel grade, not the best on the back.

I don't really mind these niggling issues so much, however we couldn't help noticing some annoying cats hanging around, especially at the buffet breakfast. I don't really think cats have a place in a luxury resort. Especially when you are allergic to them like myself.

Prices at the restaurant can be very exorbitant as well such as a Tusker beer coming in at 610 vatus. Most other restaurants on the island selling these for about 450 vatu

Great cocktails, especially like the "daily special" 1000 vatu cocktails. Food is hit and miss, most of what we ordered was good although when we ordered the seafood platter for two, and only really got enough on it for one, it was a bit disappointing. Buffet breakfast is very generous and here is a huge variety of food available.

The pool "swim up" bar is a nice touch.

Facilities available to guests are very good, with Kayaks, Snorkeling gear etc at your fingertips. There is also a daily newsletter which is a nice touch, listing activities for the next day. You will see it under your door each night. The staff are very friendly and helpful, especially the support desk which can organise tours for you.

I think that about summs it up, It is a great resort and just needs a bit of TLC. Other than that it is pretty unique, being an island resort. Don't be afraid to venture out across to Port Villa on the free ferry that operates 24/7.

The locals are very friendly despite the fact that many of them are unemployed, they always have a smile on their face

Would definitely return to Iririki in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for bringing the issues you had to our attention.

We apologise that the toiletries supplied in the bathroom during your stay were not replenished consistently, this is something that will continue to be reinforced to ensure that guests to not face similar issues.

Please note that general maintenance of our facilities such as pool edges and other minor fix ups are currently taking place to ensure that Iririki continues to live up to a wonderful standard. In addition, fares will also undergo refurbishments in the near future.

Sorry to hear that cats were a problem during your stay particularly as you are allergic and we hope that your breakfast each morning was not ruined as a result. In regards to the seafood platter for two and the sizing of your portions, this will continue to be addressed to ensure that the dining experience as well as the comfort of our guests is not compromised.

Great to hear that you enjoyed our cocktails of the days and made use or facilities during your stay. The staff at Iririki is something that we pride the most and its wonderful to hear that guests continue to appreciate their warm and friendly natures.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Iririki on a return visit in the future.
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have been meaning to write this review since I got back but better late than never. We stayed last week in October and loved every minute. We will definitely be returning. We stayed in a garden fare, they are basic but comfortable - the bed is great. We looked around Port Vila during our stay at other resorts but we definitely think Iririki is the best in terms of location, we wouldn't consider any of the others (unless they were free of course!). Loved the spa at Iririki and the staff there (in fact all the locals) are definitely what makes Vanuatu special. Only down side was the cats! Not everyone is a cat lover and don't like them hanging around the restaurant while trying to eat breakfast.

Room Tip: The garden fare was best for us as a couple. We looked at the apartment complex (which is further f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
gmiririki, Sales & Marketing at Iririki Island Resort, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for finding the time for writing such a lovely review - better late than never! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourself thoroughly during your stay with us in October and apologize for the nuisance that the cats may have caused but hope that it was not too off putting.

Great to hear that you found time to make use of the on-site spa and trust that you had a relaxing experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Iririki in the future.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We have just returned from our 2nd stay at Iririki and I highly recommend it to everyone. We stayed 8 nights in Nov 2012 and I could have stayed longer. You really cant beat the location, the staff are great and menu prices are reasonable for a resort. There is plenty to do on the island for free and several nice places to relax if you want to do as little as possible. I will definately be visiting again.

Room Tip: We stayed in an island fare with nice water views and it was clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
gmiririki, Sales & Marketing at Iririki Island Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hi Kym L,

Thank you for writing up this review for us on TripAdvisor and thank you for your continued support.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Iririki on your future visits.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed her for our honeymoon in Nov 2011. It may be a year later but it is a place I will never forget and will one day visit again! The staff were friendly, the food was outstanding and the day spa was relaxing! The garden fare was cute with views of the main island and water. The bed was amazingly comfortable and we slept the nearly the whole afternoon after arriving there the morning sfter our wedding. The buffet breakfasts were fantastic. So much too choose from and so tasty, my husband still dreams of those 10 breakfasts he had and I would have to admit out of all the places we have stayed they have been the best! The island was beutiful as were the pools. We had a fantastic time there filled with wonderful tours and memories. They crew at Iririki were extremly helpful upon us returning home to realise we had left a few things in our room. Within a week we had them back! I'm glad we stayed here and will be back one day!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
gmiririki, Sales & Marketing at Iririki Island Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for writing such a lovely review. We are so happy to hear that you have kept Iririki in your thoughts a year on from your visit!

Hopefully we have the opportunity to welcome you and husband back here again in the future and that the breakfast spread lives up to his memory of it!

Once again, thank you.

Been to Iririki Island Resort? Share your experiences!