“Thank you yet again.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Port Vila
Port Vila, Vanuatu
“Thank you yet again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We have returned yet again to Paradise.
What a lovely surprise to get a note, champagne and personal welcome back from Managers, Sue and Mark. From the guys on the boat over to Rachael and Paulina on Reception, right through to the friendly staff that abound around us, nothing seems too much bother, and all delivered with beautiful smiles.
We thank you emphatically for our time in your beautiful country and for your amazing hospitality.
Cheers
Randell. :-)

Room Tip: We only ever consider the bungalows.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have just spent 7 days over the New Years period welcoming in 2014. We stayed in one of the 14 private bungalows which are well worth the extra price. They are light and breezy and ours had a fabulous view over the ocean where we could hear the waves rolling on to the shore. There is a large private balcony on each of these with a huge hammock, great for laying and reading while the ocean breeze licks over you.
Make sure you take thongs! The beach is actually made of broken (but smoothed) coral pieces, so you definitely need to walk to the water with thongs or booty's on. But once in the water, it is teaming with the most beautiful marine life I have ever seen. I have seen better coral, but the fish here must be somewhat used to the divers and snorkelers and swim around you as though you are just one of them. There are plenty of Tangs, Angel fish, Butterfly fish, Banner fish, Wrasse etc. Some you can see right at the shore line. I really would have been quite happy just snorkeling around every day.
We were there for a dive package and I have to say the staff everywhere, including the dive shop are very professional, yet super laid back and friendly. A special thank you to Niedge who made us fairly novice divers feel very comfortable to get back in the water. Also Antionne is always walking around with a beaming smile ensuring everyone is enjoying themselves. The water temperature is divine. We dived to 20 meters for 40 minutes in board shorts and a t shirt and did not feel the slightest bit cold.
There are no facilities in the room for making food so you do spend quite a bit of time at the only bar/restaurant on the island. The food choices became a bit limiting after 7 days. Prices are not too bad, think Sydney Cafe prices.
My only real gripe was with the music being played at the bar. I think they had 4 CD's on rotation the entire time, one of which was something like "Party Hits from the 60's". I can not get the awful song, "Yakity Yak, don't look back" out of my head, I must have heard it 30 times over. If the manager is reading this - I really suggest you go digital and get some decent playlists.
To get away for a different scene, the boat shuttle across from to the main land is very regular; (every ten minutes). There is almost always a bus waiting to take you into Port Villa for about $3.50 a person. These are really Maxi Taxi's but will take you where you want to go for a small price. Although you will appreciate the solitude and beauty of Hideaway Island after going into Port Villa, which isn't particularly nice.
The island is not entirely private and about 30 tourists arrive every day at 10 am and leave at 3 pm. But for the rest of the time the island appears to be limited to only those staying there, which feels really quite exclusive and we met some very nice people. Overall, it was a fantastic holiday. Exactly what you need for a break from the rat race. Oh, and I forgot the amazing half price cocktails every day during happy hour from 4.30 pm. Bought to your lounge, watching the sunset. Heaven.

Room Tip: Bungalow 11 was great and at the end of the beach, so very private. Bungalow 14 was quite close to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Berwick, Victoria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have to say the location is excellent and the food very good even the underwater Post Office was fun for the kids.
The disappointing thing was the Snorkel Safari. It was scheduled for 12.15pm but was delayed an hour as the guide was having lunch, as this is a relaxed island lifestyle we went with the flow.
My wife got into trouble during the snorkel safari and was being pushed onto the coral by the waves. I had my daughter with us whilst I was trying to get my wife to calm water to stop the panic.
The tour guide who was in the water was no where to be found and the boat driver gave us no assistance even though he could see we were struggling. The guide did not keep us together as a group which in these conditions should have. Once on the boat my wife and i were bleeding from coral cuts but we were offered no assistance from the guide, driver or the staff when we arrived back on shore.
Lucky we had our first aid gear close by. Expected a little more from the staff in these circumstances.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Townsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic little spot! The staff were fantastic and all very friendly. If you're looking for a luxury holiday this isn't the spot but if you're looking to do some snorkelling and diving or just relaxing by the beach this is the place for you! The diving was incredible and we only just scratched the surface. We did have a minor issue with no hot water in the shared bathroom and very little water pressure in one shower but all in all a great place to stay....we will be back!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The most perfect location in all of Port Vila. The snorkelling on this island was spectacular. Some of the best quality in the world. The staff on the island are all lovely, very welcoming with the majority being locals from the Mele Village. The boys in the dive shop are always up for a laugh. We got to meet the manager Mark & Sue who were amazing and helped make our stay there even more beautiful, who were more than willing to help us enjoy our honeymoon in anyway they could.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Blue Haven, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I just spent a week on Hideaway Island with my university completing our practical assessments on the coral reef. I definitely did not expect the hospitality received while staying on this little gem. The staff were so warm and helpful from the minute we stepped onto the island. The dive shop boys were nothing but laughs and handshakes the entire time. Doing a Hideaway Island dive is a must by the way. Make sure you see the electric clam. It was actually mind blowing.

We stayed in the dorms. The rooms were too hot for me, so I slept on the couch upstairs. Honestly I didn't mind one bit. I did get a chance to check out the bungalows and they were so incredible! I could definitely see people with some money behind them loving a good stay in them.

You don't have to be staying on Hideaway to visit either, a short boat ride from Mele Bay will find you on the coral shores. It will cost about $15 (AUD) to get on, but the snorkelling is a must. But be careful of the reef. Excessive amounts on tourism has seen much of it destroyed. The managers of Hideaway are doing their best in conjunction with my university to help regenerate the reef.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Local staff are amazing and generally live in the village across from hide away island.
The snorkelling is great for beginners and more experienced as roughly 100 metres out there is a large drop off.

I stayed in a dorm room which i had to myself and was what you would expect although there are no lockers so luckily there was no one else in my room.

The only reason i didn't give this 5 stars was because the Ex pat that owns or manages the establishment is not so friendly at all.

It is roughly 15-20 minutes into port vila which should cost no more then 200 vatu in a bus.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hideaway Island Resort? Share your experiences!