Erakor Island Resort is not the fanciest or slickest resort you could stay at in Efate. It is though the best if what you are looking for is tranquillity, relaxation, good food, superb snorkelling and personal attention to your needs.
The 30 villas on the island are all private and spaced well away from any noise, all have the expected amenities though no phone or TV (but surely that's why you are here?). There is internet in the reception and Port Vila has all you need and is a 10 minute bus ride away (150 Vatu or $1.50).
This is a safe, friendly place to come and the staff at EIR are genuine in their friendliness and helpfulness. All were great but thanks especially to Henry - The Chief, Alice, Sam, and Albert. No-one disappointed and although the label of happiest place on Earth may be a bit fanciful Ni-Van are extremely laid back and friendly people, well certainly to tourists.
Port Vila has a great market and its worth eating at the back (24 hours except Sat and closed Sun). L'Houstalet is a quirky dated French restaurant worth a visit if only to try flying fox, and Le Jardin des Saveurs, near the island ferry, is excellent. We found the patisserie Au Peche Mignon average and the staff surly, in fact the only negative experience we had. The food at the resort was varied and tasty and reasonably priced, though go to Au Bon Marche for your wine and save big time - also on French goods like cheese and saucisson.
The Melanesian Feast on Thursdays is superb and you must try Kava. Well worth the $40 just for the entertainment let alone food, and the Pizza and Movie night n Saturdays is great for kids and families.
Weddings could make the place a bit noisier but we had one wedding which was actually nice to feel a bit a part of, and the island is very quiet. I ran the 1km path around the whole island a few times each morning and it was serene.
If you want action perhaps stay in town a few days and here for at least 3 days for the relaxation. If you want to pay vastly more for the hotel feel go to Le Warwick Le Lagon, otherwise stay here and be treated like a friend not a tourist.
I also recommend the trip to the local school as an eye opener for some - take your kids they will get lots from it - and bring chalks and pencils from home as gifts, or second hand kids school books - you'll be glad you did as they have very little and will be very grateful.
We had an excellent 9 days and would return to EIR. Thanks especially to Albert for the great but not intrusive entertainment, and to all for a warm and enjoyable stay. Even having our Kindle stolen didn't break our tranquillity for long (request a safe if you have valuables though we weer told that they had never had a theft before so I guess we were just unlucky).
If you want ultra quiet ask for the west side (we stayed in a villa number 18 near the Spa, which again was very good), but the trade off is the wind comes from that side and families may prefer being right on the best beach (Calypso).
We had average weather (occasional rain but constant cloud and around 25 degrees most of the time, a couple of warm sunny days and a couple of rainy days) but it really didn't matter as we got very chilled very quickly and overall it is very highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Erakor Island Resort is a beautiful unspoiled island paradise, situated in crystal clear waters on its own private 16 acre island surrounded by white sandy beaches. All bungalows are waterfront with the lagoon just steps away from your private veranda. Enjoy the beauty of staying on a quiet tropical island with easy access to everything off the island, Erakor offers all the facilities of a major resort, but in a relaxed and secluded atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Erakor Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Erakor Island Resort And Spa
- Erakor Island Hotel Port Vila
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu/Port Vila