We stayed on Erakor in January for seven nights and would have stayed another seven. We travelled as two adults and 2 children aged nine and twelve. Our room was number twenty which was at the end of the island and had the most amazing sunsets from our balcony. There are only the four cabins at this end of the island, and I don't think that too many people venture to see the sunsets from "sunset beach", or even known that the cabins are there. Sitting on the lounge on the balcony with the water metres away and the small waves washing up made for a perfect setting. Our family room had a double bed, day bed and a roll away and there was still lots of room. Our bed was very comfortable and there were no complaints from the children. The room was cleaned daily and towels etc replaced. Beach towels are available form the Beach Hut.
The staff were friendly and cheerful at all times. Breakfast at the restaurant was simple but sufficient. Lunch and dinner catered for all tastes and cocktail hour a must! You can save a little by having "family meals" between five and six. We snorkelled off the main beach and kayaked around the island and the water is clean and warm. Our children were busy all day and enjoyed Pizza and movie night as well as the other activities organised by the staff. Melanesian night is a must and fun for all.
Travel to Port Villa is a ferry ride across the lagoon then a taxi to town. Please negotiate the price before you go. We hired a driver for the day "Nalu from Tanna", he has a newer van and it's air conditioned and I can highly recommend him. Just ask at the tour desk but book in advance and negotiate a price for the day. His English is good and he will tell you about the different places that you go by. There were 4 adults and 4 children and he took us to Eton Beach, Blue Hole, Mele Cascade Waterfalls and ended up at the Beach Bar then back to catch the ferry across to Erakor and it was about 9pm.
Some things to do:
Coongoola - a must but make sure that there are'nt too many people, we had about 30 and it was fantastic.
Hire a taxi for the day and plan where to go. Our trip mentioned above was great for 1 day out.
Beach Bar - on Friday night for the fire show and a wood fired pizza. Get there early as it gets a lot of ex pats and pumps!
Big Blue - We hired a dive boat for half a day 4 adults and 4 children and it was great. Speak to Tony who is more than helpfull with any needs you may have.
It has been aroung thirty years since I had been to Port Villa and things have not changed a lot apart from more resorts. The room we stayed in could do with a face lift but for us we had no complaints, everyting worked and we enjoyed the resort for it's beauty and the people. There are new managers and they have already started renovations on several of the rooms and these would be fantastic once completed. This is not a five star resort where everyone sits around a pool but if you want a truly relaxing holiday and see what Vanuatu has to offer then this is the place to stay. We will be back!
- Also Known As:
- Erakor Island Resort And Spa
- Erakor Island Hotel Port Vila
- Erakor Island Hotel
- Erakor Island Resort
- Erakor Island
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu/Port Vila
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Erakor Island Resort is a beautiful unspoiled island paradise, situated in crystal clear waters on its own private 16 acre island surrounded by white sandy beaches. All bungalows are waterfront with the lagoon just steps away from your private veranda. Enjoy the beauty of staying on a quiet tropical island with easy access to everything off the island, Erakor offers all the facilities of a major resort, but in a relaxed and secluded atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Venere and Otel so you can book your Erakor Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.