I used Trip Advisor for the 2nd time to book a holiday and both have worked well. We could not get into Eratrap and our next choice was Erakor based on the ratings. Erakor has been taken over by new management in the last 12 months so disregard any reviews prior. You will see from the recent reviews the comments are very positive which we can endorse. I took my family with 2 daughters age 8 and 11 for 9 days to Erakor. What Erakor is about is super friendly and helpful staff. A very nice beach with snorkelling, canoes, sailing dinghies etc and good proximity to the mainland with a 5 minute 24 hour a day ferry.
Erakor is not for people who want to park their kids in a kids club and not seem them during the stay. As a family we were together virtually 24/7 and really enjoyed spending time with each other. There was plenty to do whether it be on the beach or touring the main island. In July temperature was ideal at about 26-28 degrees and water must be about 25 as very comfortable for swimming.
If you want a more commercial resort style holiday with pool, kids club, tennis courts etc have a look at something like Iririki but the view and atmosphere are not nearly as nice for what we were after.
Erakor is also not for people looking for 5 star acommodation. It is more an Island experience with pleasant, clean, simple rooms with nice outlook. Expect 3 Star and you will not be dissppointed but having said that we were very happy with our room with a loft for the kids.
Included Breakfast is very simple with cereal, yogurt, fruit and fresh roles/croissants and sometimes scrambled eggs/sausages etc but other dishes can be ordered at additional cost.
Overall the food was very good (really splendid local organic meat and fish) and we had nearly all meals on the island over a 9 day period, we did not really want to leave the Island but there were plently of options not far away in and around Port Vila should we have wanted to go further afield
A review of Erakor cannot be done with out mentioning the staff and Vanuatu people in general.
The staff were exceptional. Without doubt friendliest people we have met and by the end they felt like friends. Kevin is in charge of entertaining the young ones. Blanca does a great job on recommending tours. The 2 Annie's in the restaurant were fantastic. And Donald who drives the ferry from 6.30 and to 3.30pm 7 days a week liiks the most relaxed and happy person I have met. I want his job!
Another special experience is watching a movie on the beach just after sunset. Just lovely.
I have been to Tahiti, Tonga, Noumea and recently Fiji and can highly recommend Vanuatu as a location. The people are not only the nicest I have met but have great pride in their dwellings and regardless of whether they have small income or not things are kept neat and tidy.
There are a few small things that could be done better on the island but really in the scheme of having a nice family break they are not very important. We did on one occasion have a mix up with a meal order and ended up waiting nearly an hour for food but was it really a drama? No we just enjoyed the movie on the beach in a magical setting.
I recommend Erakor for a laid back time for famalies or couples in a lovely setting with exceptional staff. After 9 days we did not want to leave.
- Also Known As:
- Erakor Island Resort And Spa
- Erakor Island Hotel Port Vila
- Erakor Island Hotel
- Erakor Island Resort
- Erakor Island
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu/Port Vila
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Erakor Island Resort is a beautiful unspoiled island paradise, situated in crystal clear waters on its own private 16 acre island surrounded by white sandy beaches. All bungalows are waterfront with the lagoon just steps away from your private veranda. Enjoy the beauty of staying on a quiet tropical island with easy access to everything off the island, Erakor offers all the facilities of a major resort, but in a relaxed and secluded atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Erakor Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.