“Don't go to the same place twice” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Port Vila
Bunbury, Australia
“Don't go to the same place twice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

The best thing I can say about le Lagon is that they now have a new General Manager. We stayed here 2 years ago (2 adults, 3 kids) and had the best holiday ever. The children had a ball, we parents were totally relaxed and pampered, that was despite at the time the on-going renovations of the pool area. The new pools are now finished, fantastic, but not clean, my son got a terrible ear infection, other children had eye infections. My husband and I got and could not get rid of the tummy bug going around, which I can only put down to cleanliness at the pool bar as the kids did not get it. Breakfast was good, lunch at the pool average, Wild Ginger not bad, dinner just abominable, and the flies everywhere where really bad. The best meal we had was up the road at Villa Chaumieres. 60% of the staff have gone from our last stay, just a few stalwarts remain and are as lovely as ever, greeting us with big hugs. We were initially in the wrong rooms for the first 5 days, one of which the roof leaked during a heavy downpour, onto the bed. Accommodation was better once we were moved into what we had booked and paid for. To top it off on our return the hotel charged us again for our accommodation, having already paid the travel agent, and I got a nasty shock on looking at my credit card account. Watch out!!!

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Lakelands NSW Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

Do want to remember a holiday by the smiles on your children's faces? Do you get a tingle down your spine when you look at the photos?

Our two families (both with two children each) arrived at Le Lagon after a short and bumpy journey from the airport. The weather was pleasant (mid 20's and a bit humid as you would expect).

We stayed in the standard rooms and on reflection would upgrade to something a bit bigger next time.

We purchased the all inclusive package and were all very glad we did. The beers, wine and local spirits, soft drinks for the kids were great.

The food was fresh, tasty and varied. If you tire of the buffet style dinners (themed differently each night), pop over to Wild Ginger and for a small surcharge you can dine on Stir Frys and Teppanyaki.

The pool was lovely, the golf course had panoramic views and the kids loved playing tennis and table tennis too.

We organised some snorkelling, fishing and scuba with ease.

The staff were lovely. Relaxed, efficient and friendly.

If you are looking for white linen table cloths, service with a click of the heels and to be fussed over like a show dog.....don't come here!

If you want to wind down, smile a lot and receive pleasant and efficient service, this is the place to come.

Best memories:

The staff dancing with our kids one night will we sipped on after dinner drinks.
The kids swimming up to the bar and ordering mock-tails.
All of us gorging ourseleves at Wild Ginger.
Enjoying pre-dinner drinks with both families and playing board games in the big pavilion.
Being served lunches by the pool.
How friendly and unassuming the people were.

All of the adults were able to relax. The kids had the run of the place and were treated like little VIPs.

We talk about Le Lagon often.

• Liked — The relaxed and friendly service. The food. The atmosphere
  • Disliked — Room size...but that was our fault
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Sydney Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

We are a family with 2 children age 5 and 6. Travelled to Vanuatu with extended family including teenagers. We had a bit of a rooms saga in the first 2 days like many others. On arrival we were told our requested garden superior room wasn't available We were given a lagoon bungalow (about double the price of the garden superior) instead for the first night ... but ... wait for it ... the room is not ready. We arrived at 2pm and it took till about 5pm for the room to be ready. In the mean time, children got their swimmers on and had a splash. The next day, despite us having our bags all packed by 11am, the room that we were to move into for the rest of the holiday was again not ready till 5pm.
The lagoon bungalow was very nice, spacious and seemed to be recently renovated, complete with a spa bath. Although the materials were good, complete with stone vanity tops and massage shower head, the tiling and plumbing workmanship was little above a DIY renovation - a reflection of the overall laid back attitude throughout Vanuatu.
Although the bungalows were very nice inside, I wouldn't recommend them as they were very lacking in privacy. I also felt sorry for the people in the over-water suites as I kayaked past their romantic balconies.
Some rooms are renovated and some are not. The renovated ones like ours are very nice but the unrenovated ones are really bad.
Food was OK. Buffet nights have changing themes. Breakfast buffet is exactly the same each day. Poolside grill pretty good. Wild Ginger has an innovative a la carte menu which may not be to everybodies taste. I had rack of lamb with morrocan and wasabi flavours.
Nice cultural shows on some evenings. Some kids (but not mine) enjoyed the torch lighting ceremony each evening at 6pm.
We used the kayaks and catamarans quite a lot. Snorkeled in the lagoon. Lots of starfish and coral but not many fish. Activity centre was a hit with the kids and teenagers. Soccer match was on with the locals every couple of days. Pool was great. The middle pool was at standing waist to shoulder depth for my kids.
Prices of drinks and food are at or over North Queensland resort rates. Extra charge for use of gym, golf equipment and tennis rackets.
Tour operators were very friendly, punctual and well organised. Mele falls evergreen tour with bbq lunch was great. Went on a buggy (more like go-kart) trail ride half day, which was quite a unique experience. Need to book this 2 days ahead. Hideaway island had great snorkelling with the full cast of Nemo. Fish come up to the beach if you have some bread with you. Not much at Hideaway for people who don't swim, snorkel or dive. The "beach" is full of dead coral and not for walking on barefoot.
Port Vila itself is not very interesting. Only spent a few hours there. Ate at Chill restaurant for lunch, which was good and catered well for kids.
Overall, we all had great fun. Locals generally happy and friendly. Lots for kids and teenagers to do on the resort. Don't stay here though if you can't deal with the laid back attitude and the (not bad but) less than perfect rooms.

• Liked — Many places to explore on a kayak
  • Disliked — Delays on check in and waiting for someone to appear on the concierge desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

We are a family of 4 from Sydney (boy 11 and a girl 10) and had 11 nights in Dec coming home on Xmas eve. Like everyone else who read these reviews before going we had mixed feelings about selecting Vanuatu and Le Lagon, particularly with the stomach bug that was going around the island at the time.

To set the context for our decision: we had been to Fiji, Bali, Thailand & Vietnam before and given the troubles in Bali and Thailand it became a toss up between returning to Cast Away Island at Fiji or trying Vanuatu, Also, having had a stressful year we did not want a holiday that required lots of planning or moving around but just enough to keep us engaged. Given Castaway Isl (where we stayed in Fiji and seriously thought about returning to) is a tiny island and we had already "done it" we decided on Vanuatu (who were also offering cheap air flights though by the time we booked we missed out - so there you go!)

Main reasons for choosing Le Lagon:
- Largest hotel by far (most chance of kids making friends!!!)
- Grounds looked good
- Pools looked good
- Ginger received good reviews which elevates the hotel above the average so food would be ok.
- All inclusive allows us to know the budget and not worry about constant expense.

So how did it go:
- Overall it met our expectations
- Superior Garden View Room was good. Aircon good, size good, beds ok, shower huge - no complaints at all!
- Like other posts breakfast was good (incl getting omelette or eggs cooked to order), lunch poolside was good, dinner buffet ok, dinner at Ginger better but menu a little limited.
- Pools were good (yes towels were a hassle and tiles were slippery)
- Kids club was ok (We all did bus trip to Secret Garden which was good
- Massages were ok and were quite cheap by comparison so had a few (they probably could develop a day spa area - particularly with wedding couples and honeymoons)
- Catamarans were good and easily accessible
- House drinks were ok (Both Red & white wines were good but house spirits leave a bit to be desired)
- Golf course was better than expected with some nice holes over the back and some great views
- Met some lovely people and families "Hello to all" (Most people from Brisbane and Sydney then some from Melbourne and NZ).
- Overall service is a bit dissappointing and certainly well below Fiji (This is an area Mgt need to build a Le Lagon Culture)
- Unfortunately we all got the bug to different degrees desoite taking acidophilus but really only a few days discomfort

Outside the Hotel:
- Cascades were great (just go by bus or taxi)
- Did a Round the Island day tour with (fellow recommended off this website who's name escapes me???) which was very nice
- Buses - great, once you get your legs this is the way to travel 100 VT pp
- Taxis - like always get a quote before you get in and know how much you should pay 3-400 VT
- Wife and I had dinner at Frenchg restaurant on the hill just outside the resort leaving kids at Kids Club - was very nice and a nice time to ourselves - kids were happy too!
- Did the Buggie Tour thing "Bush to Beach" - This was great!!! Definitely do it - even mom!. Go with the Aussie guy Dale (ex Aus Navy, nice guy)
- Port Vila is pretty ordinary with not much to offer (did get some good beach clothes for the kids at reasonable prices)
- Always felt safe and non-threatened

Overall:
Overall it was a great holiday that met our expectations

Would we go back again? - probably not but that's more to do with going somewhere else not a reflection on this.

Recommendation:
Vanuatu is a safe and easy to reach destination. If you want a fairly relaxed break mainly sitting around the pool with just a few outside activities (and you have already done Fiji) then this is a good spot. If you have young children then I believe that this hotel is the best by far.

I trust this is of assistance in making your decision.

• Liked — The size and layout of the room
  • Disliked — Would like a separate room for the kids - very hard to get
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

When I landed in Vanuatu, I really didn't know what to expect...but when we pulled into the hotel I was really impressed - beautiful landscape and all - upon check in, they gave me my room and helped me get settled... well the room was super small, just able to fit the bed in, and then I noticed that I had paid for a superior garden view. The manager Jamil was very nice, but told me he was unable to do anything about it today and would get me a better room the next day.. the more I thought about it the more I didn't want to stay in that room so I asked how much for an island room over the water -- the amount wasn't that bad, and it allowed me to check in right away (why he didn't upgrade me to a better room to begin with is still a wonder - especially since me garden view wasn't ready) - the room was perfect - incredible and highly recommended - unfortunately someone (obvious an in-side job) broke into my room safe and stole $900 - I filled out a police report - but the hotel didn't take any responsibility - didn't even offer to cover the upgrade - so I would have to say I left feeling disappointed - a top hotel like this can't afford to have its personnel braking into safes.
Nicole

• Liked — the rooms location
  • Disliked — someone breaking into my safe and stealing $900
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Taranaki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

Wow I loved this place! After reading mostly negativity through trip advisor I must say I was a bit skeptical about it, but enjoyed our holiday and the resort, in fact I would rate it higher that the "hard to beat" Rarotongan that we stayed in on our trip last year. I travelled alone with a 4 and 7 year old, reception was great and we had our welcome drinks and escorted to our room. We stayed in a standard room which was very nice, clean and well serviced (thank god for air conditioning), complete with a good sized shower and an in room safe. The pool area was devine, and my only real grumble over the whole trip would be the shortage of towels (so pays to take your own) and the tiles become slippery. I only ever saw plastic cups used around the pool never glass.

Kids had a blast and didn't argue once in 7 days!!!! They enjoyed kids club and their excursions to the secret garden and coral viewing etc. All their 3 meals a day were included in the package.

Breakfast - what can I say, it was all put on everything was fanastic and the variety couldn't be faulted, catered to everyones needs from cereal and fruit to cooked, so I ate a big breaky and had a light lunch! Dinner, I ate at the resort every night and everynight the restaurant had a different menu which was great. I ate one night at the Wild Ginger (also located at the resort) but didn't think much of their menu.

Travelling to town to anywhere ensure you look for the vans with a RED "B" (not "T" for taxi) these are far the cheapest way to travel. Avoid going in to town when the cruise ships are in as the prices in the shops escalate. Duty Free is much cheaper in town than the airport too.

I do recommend this place and in fact I will be going there again next January!!!

• Liked — Air Conditioning!!!
  • Disliked — No private laundry you had to send it away.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

We have just returned from a round the world holiday and stayed at this hotel on 19th November for 7 nights. I had read mixed reviews and travellers pictures on trip advisor looked good so we went for it. On arriving at hotel it looks very impressive, grounds are immaculately kept and reception is smart, however on arriving at 3 pm I heard the couple in front of us been told that the room was not ready and I said to my husband, get ready, that is one of the complaints I read on trip advisor, then it was our turn and guess what, our room was not ready! We sat down and were given a complimentary drink, but 30 minutes later we had not heard any more. I went back to reception and was told 5 minutes, a guy then comes over to take us to the room, but he has loaded somebody elses luggage instead of ours on his cart. I asked him if it was an upper floor room as requested in my original reservation and he said yes, but when we got to the room it was on the ground floor!

The room itself was a superior garden bungalow and we did not have any complaints, it was clean and everything seemed to be in order, however when it got dark we discovered two of the lights had light bulbs which didn't work and one light had been smashed and taped together therefore no light could really shine through, a problem we reported to reception on our way out night one, but was not rectified by the time we left.

We stayed bed and breakfast only and the breakfast selection could not be faulted, there was a great selection of both hot and cold food and the hot food was hot, not like some resorts, however the service was terrible. Not once in 7 mornings did we sit at a table which had been laid properly we always needed a cup, a knife, salt and pepper, etc. Trying to get coffee and tea was a challenge and empty plates you were better off getting up and moving yourself, also in the centre of the breakfast room is a refridgerated unit which fruit, cereal, drinks, etc are kept on and the fridges leaked so if you went down after around 8.30 you had to paddle around and risk slipping over with your breakfast.

The swimming pool and surrounding area were fantastic, picture postcard stuff, however two major complaints, one, the system they adopt is you sign for your towel in the morning and by 6 pm you must have handed it back or the cost goes on your bill, we found that if you were late down to the pool they never had enough towels to go around, we waited nearly 2 hours one day for a towel! Also some days you went to hand your towel back in and nobody was around so although you had signed it out, you did not have any proof you had returned it. The other problem was the swim up bar, which served drinks in plastic and glass glasses, my husband and I both felt to serve a drink in a glass in a pool was an accident waiting to happen, the other problem was they allowed children in the adults pool, although there were 3 other pools they could have used, and on several occasions we saw children playing with glasses in the pool which had been left on the side by other guests.

We found the hotel not just to be too expensive, but we felt actually ripped guests off, we ate in town every night but Sunday and found some lovely restaurants/bars, however if you pick up a taxi within the hotel grounds they charge you 3 times as much as they are managed by the hotel, instead walk to the top of the driveway, through security and pick up one off the road. Beware if you change any money in the hotel they charge you 12% on changing travellers cheques which we found an insult. Also, on the Sunday we ordered room service as this was the cheapest way of eating when the town was closed, not only did we get the wrong meal delivered, but they charge you on top of the room service prices quoted on the menu for bringing the meal to your room!

One final negative point, during the 7 days we were there our room floor was never mopped over and our bedding was not changed, although such a hot climate.

In summary we would say this is a lovely resort, visually above average, but the service is appaling and the management do not manage, even people we became friendly with over the week who had paid for all inclusive ended up eating in the town!

One last word of warning, I have read a review from another traveller about informing the hotel of a special diet and his request been ignored, this happened a week after I moved on, however as we were checking out we got talking to a honeymoon couple who were at reception to complain as they had paid all inclusive and she had an intolerance of wheat and they too had phoned up the hotel and spoken to the chef who had guaranteed them it would not be a problem, however when they arrived the same story, nobody admitted knowing anthing about it and the poor girl had only eaten fruit for 2 days - obviously it is not worth requesting anything other than the normal at this hotel, whatever they tell you!

• Liked — Spectacular pool with swim up bar
  • Disliked — Over priced with extremely poor service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Warwick Le Lagon Resort & Spa, Vanuatu? Share your experiences!