“Great Family Holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Port Vila
Adelaide, Australia
“Great Family Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This resort was great for our family. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a Deluxe Garden room which had an extra little room inside it for one of the single beds. It made the whole room seem so spacious for a family of four. The breakfast buffet was excellent everyday with lots of variety. Like all these hotels sometimes you had to find your own mug or cutlery but it was no big deal. Our room was made up nicely everyday and our bed turned down with biscuits left every day which did seem a bit random as nobody turned down the beds in either of our friends rooms! We chose to eat in town other than breakfast, it worked out a bit cheaper and we enjoyed experiencing a bit more of Pt Vila. Our biggest complaint was the situation with the local buses. They're not allowed to pick up at the Le Lagon but they can drop you off. So the taxi's waiting at the hotel charge you 700vt to 1000vt to go into town and then you can catch a bus back for 300vt. It's not much but we were dong this twice a day and it got really frustrating. The taxi drivers at the resort are largely rude and pushy, especially if you walk out of the resort.
I did try the day spa and had a really nice massage. Great vibe in there until the pool bar starts cranking up Lady gaga in the middle of your relaxing hour! Maybe they need to sound proof the spa.
Overalll we had a great holiday at this resort. Loved the resort and surroundings, the fire show was awesome and the service overall was pretty good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon Resort & Spa, Vanuatu, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear mjktberry,

Appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. It is very pleasing that you enjoyed your stay with us overall and I am glad you enjoyed your upgrade. The fire show as mentioned n previous reviews truly is a sight to behold. The taxi situation is something that falls under the bylaws of the Lands Transport Authority in Vanuatu so I cant really do much about that. However for future travelers and at this point in time.......A taxi is 700VT into town and 700VT back. A bus, which under the bylaw cannot pick up from the Hotel but can drop off, is 150VT per person. So if you have 5 people and you all catch a bus from town then it would be 750VT altogether meaning it is more economical to catch a Taxi, if on your own or a couple then it is more economical to catch a bus. I have made special efforts to engage with the President of the Taxi Association so will remind him that this behavior is not good and when I get notification, like I have from this review, they are very compliant so I need to make sure I keep on top of them. Otherwise thank you for you comments of enjoyment at our Resort and would love to see you back.

Jeremy Walsh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed at the Warwick Le Lagon for one week recently, my family of five (three kids, 4.5, 3 and 11mths) plus my in laws. We had interconnecting rooms which was great so the grandparents were on hand to help out.

One of the biggest assets to this resort at its people - the staff are always smiling, always say hello and always go above and beyond to assist. My husband and father in law caught a Mahi Mahi and tuna on a fishing charter and the resort cooked them up for us - two plates of sashimi with all the trimmings, Mahi Mahi in beer batter for lunch with chips and salad and then for dinner we had it pan fried with a herbed butter sauce and chips and salad. We were so impressed that they went to all that effort for us and for a minimal cost as well.

Our rooms were always cleaned well. The grounds and garden are exceptionally well maintained and the general hotel facilities are excellent. The spa could use a decent scrub and some of the tiles around the pool were a bit grotty but that's to be expected in such high traffic areas.

Our main gripes were as follows.

Kids club - we had been excited to put the kids into kids club to see if they liked it. We didn't put them in until late in our trip as we'd wanted to do things with them, so we waited til my husband and father in law went fishing and booked them in that morning. They were so excited to be going and ran in eagerly, saying hello to the carer, who was sitting down with about ten older kids, weaving some palm fronds. My kids were too young for this activity so they ran off to play.

I counted about twenty kids with the one carer but assumed there would be others coming. I saw them at the pool later and there was another lady there at that point. When I picked them up after lunch, it was back to just one lady. My daughter was quite subdued, very unlike her. I asked what had happened and she said she'd banged her head on some part of the play equipment and when I looked, she'd broken the skin on the top of her head where she said she bumped it. I'm not terribly precious about my kids - they run, they sometimes get hurt, these things happen, but I would have appreciated being told by the staff. I don't even know if they were aware.

Tellingly, they did not want to go back in the afternoon, or the next day.

Secondly - they should refrain from using powered tools until after 8am! A leaf blower outside our room at 6.30am was not appreciated!

Thirdly - wifi. Warwick really needs to sort this out. My husband has his own business and was keen to get his iPhone online to check his emails but at a cost of $100 for the duration of our seven day stay, it was much cheaper for him to go into town, buy a coffee at Numbawan Cafe and use their free wifi.

Will these things stop us returning? No. But we won't use kids club there until the kids are old enough to look after themselves a bit more.

Dear Anna G,

Your comments are most appreciated. The thrill of catching a Mahi Mahi and Tuna is quite exhilarating, better yet then enjoying your catch of the day! With regard to the gripes I have approached our activities department to ensure that all incidents are reported as I was unaware of this until your posting. We have many favorable reviews on the kids club so apologize that your children have not shared that same experience although I take on board that there does need to be "something for everyone".

We look forward to your return when that time comes.

Kind Regards,

Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This resort is true to its pictures. The location is great very close to town for some shopping and a there are some good places to eat . The food at the resort was lovely the breakfast was plentiful and nice. We ate by the pool a few times but found the menu had a limited variety of meal choices. We did not eat the dinner buffet as the time we stayed the themed night meals did not appeal to us. The food and drink prices were more than we expected to pay but in saying that the food quality was very good. The resort across from the Warwick had a great dinner menu and the food was amazing. Great resort for kids there is lots of activities to choose from. Wi fi was very poor and expensive. If you need to contact home you can buy a phone card in town and the resort has a phone you can use and this worked well. The majority of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The variety of accommodation is great for couples and families.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lina W,

Many thanks for your posting to Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you enjoyed your Holiday and I love your comment of "true to its pictures". Wi fi is a challenge for sure aided mainly by the issue that Vanuatu is still feeding its connectivity via Satelite. A cable is currently being run so we can hook up like the rest of the world which are all looking forward to. I believe this to be in the earlier parts of 2014. Thank you also for the kind comments about our staff who all get to see these reviews.

Would love to see you back again here at the Resort

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We have just had a week here , the staff are so helpful friendly and never with out a smile . We had a superior Garden Villa room , good size clean tidy good shower and lovely deck with plenty shade ..the grounds are beautiful and well kept and the pools clean and well maintained .We were greeted with a welcome drink and plenty of information ...this feel of this place is laid back and relaxed . The breakfasts were lovely and plenty of variety.
There is a great kids club , and lots of evening entertainment , the fire dancers were amazing .a must see .
I enjoyed a massage at the spa a wonderful relaxing environment .
It was our wedding anniversary and we were treated to beautiful flower petals scattered on our bed a lovely bottle of bubbles and a fruit platter ..
We enjoyed snorkeling , and hiring a canoe for a few hours and having a good look around from the water ..
We look forward to returning again in the future and highly recommend this place ..

Room Tip: We stayed in room 626 the superior garden room centrally placed not to far from anything quite with...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Andrew T,

Many thanks for your comments. It is wonderful you enjoyed your stay with us. The fire dancers are certainly a show to behold and I trust provide life long memories. Great to see you took the time to relax and enjoy and take in the tranquil sceneries of the Hotel and the Lagon. We look forward to your return......its just a short plane ride away to paradise in Vanuatu.

Clive, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Having used this site as a reference to where we were to stay, I only feel it is fair that I write my own review. This site has a variety of reviews as to the quality of stay and there were a few that were not satisfied. I thought that maybe these reviewers expected a little too much and thought I would try this resort myself.

And I am glad I did.

It was wonderful.

Prior to our stay and because we were holidaying with friends from Brisbane, I emailed and asked if all three families can be put together. Not actually expecting it to happen, I was surprised we were all put in single storey Garden Superior Room all in a row. Awesome and thank you very much.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with a traditional welcome and drink. Awesome......

We were shown to our room and were quite impressed. I agree with earlier reviews in that they are a little dated but we are in Vanuatu and shouldn't be expecting to much. Our room had a queen with 2 single beds so please make sure if you are bringing the kids you aren't expecting a separate room. It had all the amenities required including a clothes line in the shower for any minor washing you wish to do in there. We were missing an alarm clock and bottle opener from our room which our other friends had but weren't overly essential. Aircon and fan worked really well. Although we didn't go over for TV, we were glad to watch both Oz and NZ (One News) on there. The room was right at the back of the Resort which actually suited us in the end as the high winds coming off the shore didn't reach us.

Overall the staff were kind and friendly and in the end we felt like we were part of a larger family. If something went wrong they responded quickly and resolved any issue fast. Nothing seemed like a problem. Even the gardening guys sat with our kids and showed them how to husk coconuts and drink the water. The kids loved it. I suggest if you get an invite for the GM cocktails, go along as you get to meet other kiwis staying at the resort.

Kids...... You will see loads of them. If you want a couple away weekend for peace and quiet, don't come here. Do your research as we did. If a resort has kids stay and eat free and have a Kids Club from 8am- 10pm, expect it to be kids galore especially around the pool and restaurant. Our boys of 9 loved it and even asked to go to Kids Club a few times rather than go shopping with Mum and Dad. You can even have the kids eat meals at Kids Club which helps with parents that need that romantic dinner out.......

Meals. The meals were great but after a while the buffet got too much. You use the Poolside menu or order Room service which could be cheaper than the full on buffet. I suggest you try other places such as the Saloon and Beach Bar to mix it up a bit.

Overall we loved our stay there. Go to Vanuatu with an open mind and enjoy everything that it has to offer. Le Lagon is a great place to base your holiday from. We stayed for 10 wonderful days which was just perfect not to long or too short. We are saving up for our next holiday there and will be there hopefully in two years time.

Room Tip: Garden Superior Rooms are fine as you shouldn't be spending all your time out the window but on...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon Resort & Spa, Vanuatu, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Chris C,

Many thanks.....A well written overall review of your holiday. It is always nice when you do research first. Trip Advisor means a lot to me so to let you know, and make it easier for other readers, our satisfaction of 4 and 5 star reviews since April 1 this year is 86% with 3 star reviews at 13% and 1% of either 1 or 2 star ratings out of a total of 123 reviews. Glad that overall you enjoyed your time and as usual our staff are notified of every trip advisor posting, good or bad, so they will appreciate your comments.

Many thanks and would love to see you again.

Kind Regards

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at the Warwick Le Lagon for 7 nights in August 2013. The hotel was excellent, offering comfortable rooms and beautiful surroundings. We upgraded to a Lagoon Bungalow, which we would highly recommend as it was spacious and offered great views.
The breakfast daily was delicious and offered a variety of menu options. We also ate both in the restaurant and poolside and found both to be reasonably priced and also of a very high standard.
The location was also great, a 20 minute walk into Port Vila or a short bus trip which we flagged from the entrance to the resort.
The pool, swim up bar, water activities and the gym were all great additions to our stay and helped to make it a relaxing and fun week.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can, it really is worthwhile.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 655BeateM,

Thank you for a lovely review. I am so glad that you found everything you needed during your stay. The main thing is you relaxed and enjoyed and hopefully are refreshed. Love to see you back with us again when the next holiday beckons!

Kind Regards

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I returned from Port Vila a little over a week ago and stayed at Le Lagon. I'd been over numerous times and had stayed here previously as well as a few other places.

The staff here are amazing! Anything you want or need is no trouble. We arrived after a delayed flight and late transfer pick up, at reception, there where 2-3 other people checking in, it was only a matter of moments before we were being greeted with drinks and we were checking in. Heidi at reception is a life saver. If we ever needed ANYTHING whether a quick question about transport or to fix up room bills or what ever else it may have been she was right on the ball and did what ever she could to accommodate us.

The general manager was always roaming around seeing if everything was of standard, talking to guest, and if we had any quires or questions. He made us feel right at home.

We stayed for 7 nights and wished we had stayed longer. Food was good, service was great and the rooms were well kept with a cleaner coming everyday.

The only downfall to my trip was from the director of sales and marketing (an expat). After emailing her prior to my trip over in organisation of a wedding next year, When I arrived I was given the cold shoulder by her right up until the last day of my trip. I found her to be quite rude and demeaning of other staff. She was the only staff member in the whole resort to give off this impression.

In the most part it was a great getaway just to relax and take in the amazing weather.

Dear Monika T,

Many thanks for your feedback and taking the time to review on Trip Advisor. Your commentary is greatly appreciated although seemed to be a bit of mixed emotions with the last part of this review. I have studied and enquired in much length about this since returning from Europe and find the demeaning aspect of other staff quite surprising, definitely not part of our practiced culture and I know that it is not the director of sales and marketing's attitude. The file in detail I have read right through from initial emails with our staff to your visit here at the Resort and subsequent departure which I would be happy to share with you.
Again many thanks for your time and review it is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jeremy Walsh

Been to Warwick Le Lagon Resort & Spa, Vanuatu? Share your experiences!