I am writing to express my displeasure at our recent stay at the Warwick Le Lagon Resort and Spa. The Grounds, view and our room (302) were stunning, BUT there were numerous things that caused us displeasure and distress. I cannot believe it is the same place that others have recommended!
1) Check In; The welcome drinks were a lovely touch but the ridiculously high amount of Security Deposit we were informed we had to pay was outrageous, for a 3 night stay. Just because we do not own a Credit Card!!! We informed the Reception Staff that we would be paying cash for everything we purchased within the resort, this made no difference. We paid AUD security deposit, which was placed into a labelled envelope. We believed this would be held in safe keeping until our checkout. I asked at the time wether checking out the night before we were leaving would be preferable or the very early morning before our transfers arrived on the 30th at 4 AM. I was informed the Reception Desk was staffed 24 hours, the morning we were leaving would be fine.
2) The service in the Buffet Restaurant was slow, it took 20 minutes for us to be offered a drink of water, let alone any other beverage!! The buffet variety was also not as vast as we have previously encountered for the price, it took a LONG time for foods to be replenished, this was the same at the Breakfast Buffet also. We had stayed elsewhere in Vila for the previous 7 days and hadn't had an issue with service!
3) We ordered Room Service on our second night..... this took 1.5 hours to arrive!!! How do I know this?? We put on a DVD for our daughter as I phoned the order through and the order arrived WELL after the movie had ended! Not Impressed - when children are hungry - they do not wait 1.5 hours!!
4) I purchased Internet usage and was informed there were no cards available for the shorter usage time - meaning I had to purchase the VT2000 card - which I didn't even use a 1/4 of in the 3 days we were there!! This was our only way of communicating with home, as phone calls were $5 a minute at the resort.
5) My daughter attended the Kids Club, so she could participate in the Crab Hunting, this she enjoyed and said the staff were great, but she was unhappy she was not able to use the Adventure Playground as we had not paid the EXTRA VT1000 to do so!! Extra again to make a grass skirt, and have hair braided, weave a basket..... Shouldn't this be included in the price of the stay at the resort?? What happened to the kids stay, PLAY and eat for free?
6) On our final night my partner was in no condition to eat after suffering from agonising stomach craps for 2 days, I was too wary to even try to eat, but our daughter insisted she wanted to eat. So we ordered from the Pool Bar Snack Menu - Fish and Chips. We waited for this to be cooked so we could take the meal back to our room, so I could be on hand should my partner need me as he was unwell. We waited an HOUR for this meal!!
7) Checkout; Where do I start??? We informed the Staff we were checking out and that we required our Security Deposit to be refunded. The Staff member seemed not to know what we were talking about - so we informed him we did not own a Credit Card and had paid AUD as a Security Deposit, and would like it back. (At our Previous resort this had been held in a safe for us to claim upon checkout, we did this with no problems) He went off in search of our envelope I had seen the Reception Staff put our AUD into when we checked in. Coming back empty handed. He offered to pay us in Vatu. Leaving us AUD out of pocket, due to the exchange rate. Our Evergreen Transfer Coach had arrived by this time, and had packed our cases into the coach, we accepted this deal. We received many Vatu notes and a bag of VT100 coins totalling VT5000. The Reception Staff said we could exchange this at the airport. The exchange booth at the Port Vila Airport was not open at 4.30am, so we had to wait until we arrived in Sydney to exchange our money. It was here we were informed that they DO NOT EXCHANGE COINS!! VT5000 useless coins!! This being our first trip overseas we were none the wiser.
8) Lastly, Once we arrived at Port Vila Airport my daughter began suffering from Abdominal Cramping, Fever, Nausea and Vomiting. Needless to say we had a TERRIBLE trip home to Australia! She suffered through the 3 hour flight to Sydney, 2 hours at the Sydney Airport, then 1.5 hours on the Plane to Melbourne, then an additional 1.5 hours until we reached our home. Not a great way to spend the day for a 10 year old!! She now claims she will never go overseas again!
We don't know wether it was the water, a virus or something else but both my partner and daughter are only just coming good. (perhaps drink only bottled water or boiled water)
Word of mouth is a powerful thing and I am sorry to say, our experience at your resort has not placed us in a position to recommend it to anyone! We will never return! It was honestly the longest 3 days of our lives!
I am still waiting for management to follow up on these issues.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear Melissa, thank you for your feedback albeit not good.
Report response as inappropriate
There are many issues that you have raised and I wonder if it was not the "snowball" effect? This is by no means an excuse on our behalf and I apologise most sincerely for the many shortfalls you encountered during your visit. from check in to check out.
The security deposit is a standard practise and varies at each resort, I am sorry that you found that excessive.
Slow service you encountered on dinner, breakfast and room service we apologise for and seems far beyond an acceptable and reasonable time to wait. With replenishment of food items, sometimes there are a rush on certain items and this can cause what seems to be an eternity while waiting.
Likewise with internet cards. We purchase these cards from the local supplier, if we have an unusual run on certain cards that leave us short, at the time there is not much we can do until the delivery of new cards arrive.
The childrens stay, play and eat free programme does not cover ALL items and is well documented. Charges apply where items used such as hair brading or skirt making are charges against the resort.
I am sorry to hear that two members of the family went down with a tummy bug. Sometimes this is beyond our control and could well be from a virus and not necessarily from the resort.
Since your stay, there has been a change of senior management and this has resulted in the delay in hearing from management. Although I note from our records, a refund of the value of the coins you were given as part of your security bond was refunded in full to you with a letter of apology and would thank you for your acknowledgement of such.
Once again, from Staff and Management, we apologise most sincerely for the issues you encountered while staying with us. With the changes that have taken place at the resort, we would very much like the opportunity to host you again whenever you return to Vanuatu.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.