“Pleasing stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu

You added Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tassiriki Park, PO Box 215, Port Vila, Efate, Vanuatu (Formerly Palms Resort and Casino Vanuatu)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Port Vila
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Gore, New Zealand
“Pleasing stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

stayed three nights in August on way back from Santo, Typical large hotel chain, but the beds were the most comfortable during our two weeks in Vanuatu,Hotel spread over a large area but had plenty of activities Golf , tennis, table tennis, boating to keep one amused we travelled as a couple and could see it would be great for families as plenty to keep kids amused.Enjoyed the Casino on site as well overall not a bad place too stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Good Afternoon paulmatheson

Thank you for your review.

Great to see you out exploring the outer islands which are very accessible from Port Vila and provide some fantastic experiences. As for the beds they a re standard to Holiday Inn's globally and we continually get great feedback on them.

Hopefully we will see you on your next visit to Vanuatu.

Thomas Tait

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Kilmore, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Never been anywhere so unorganised, we had three rooms booked two of which we couldn't go into until the following day. Management did try to keep us happy offering room . Food & drinks at the resort ove priced compared to other restaurants we went to. Food took on most days an hour to come out once ordered,especially at lunch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thomas T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Good Morning mesp7635

Thank you for the review.

Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations during your stay with us. Its certainly not the level of service we have become know for and strive to achieve everyday.

Ulladulla, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We spend 3 nights at the Holiday Inn. We booked last minute and I had initially wanted something that was adult only as we had very limited time to relax. I ended up only having a small selection of resorts to pick from and I still wanted a 4 star or above property, so we went with this.

It was a short drive to the resort that was on the lagoon. I was pleasantly surprised to see the photo's on the internet where exactly what we got. The hotel felt fresh and modern, but still in keeping with a bit of the traditional Vila.

I loved the open air reception area, it was a great space to walk into. The only thing I was a little surprised about {and please correct me if I am wrong} but I didn't see any lifts, we had to walk up and down the stairs - fine for us, but a family with young kids or elderly would want to be on the main floor as this could be difficult.

We had a Standard King Room and it was very spacious! The bed is always important to me and this one was very comfortable (one of the staff informed us that they got new beds in the refurbishment's) We had ground access so a sliding door gave us access to an outdoor sitting area with palms between each room for privacy. Inside a small lounge plus a single table & chair inside gave indoor seating. The bathroom was very nice with timber features and white tiles. We really liked the ground floor for the access to the grass & pool area. I also noticed very little noise when in our room, so that was great.

We ate dinner in the restaurant 2 nights, both times having the buffet. It was very good and each day a different cuisine was served so it wasn't the same food every night. We also had food down at the pool bar and drinks. We loved the staff down at this bar - they really are excellent! We had a great time sitting having a drink before bed.

We used both the catamarans and the kayaks in the lagoon and really enjoyed this. They also had 2 pools and one with a kids area. I was pleasantly surprised that the resort was so kid friendly, but really we didn't notice any kids. They had things like kids club to entertain them and really the resort was big enough for everyone. A big thumbs up for couples, families & friends - I would definitely recommend!!

Room Tip: The Standard King bedroom was very spacious and recently refurbished
Good Afternoon Tara-JadeWilliam

Thank you for your review, photos and recommendation.

The beds were indeed replaced during the refurbishment and are a Brand standard for Holiday Inn's globally. Whilst it was a very short visit it sounds like you moved into holiday mode very quickly and got experience some of the warm genuine hospitality that Vanuatu has become know for.

Lets hope you can get a longer break to spend in Vanuatu next time.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Our family of 4 (7 year boy and 4 year old girl) stayed at Holiday Inn for 10 nights in August 2012. The hotel was as beautiful as on the web site, we decided Holiday Inn over Le lagoon based on the reviews on TA. We stayed in a lagoon view, 3rd floor for the first 7 nights. The room was fresh and clean but rather small for a family. The last 3 nights we had a family room which was fantastic. Very nice decorated with a bunk bed and funky furniture. Great play station games, the kids did not want to leave the room. Agree with comments about slamming doors and noise.

We loved all the water activities. The kids club was also good, could perhaps have been a bit more organized and offer more activities for the older kids. The gym was also good, but very small. The kids loved the spiders by the pool at happy hour and we the cocktails. The play station in the lobby area was a great idea. It would have been nice if the lobby had had free WiFi.

Drinks with management was a very nice touch and both management and staff were lovely and very helpful. Teneale was very helpful when booking the trip.

The food was nice but perhaps a bit repetitive if you stay for more than a week. Kids eat free is very nice and make a big difference. We went in to Port Vila for 5 nights and the Water Front restaurant and bar was our favorite. A taxi to town cost about $5 each way and is easy accessible. It is not far but not really walk able if you have kids.

We went to Hideway Island and the Mele cascade waterfalls. Both well worth the trip and could be done on the same day since they are close. It was a bit of a hike to get up to the top waterfall but it is well worth it. Bring swimmers since you need to have a swim in the swimming holes.

In all it was a great holiday, the hotel lived up to our expections and if we ever go back to Vanuatu we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Family room, only 3 in total so book early
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Good Afternoon Lotta S

Thank you for your 'Great' review.

One the benefits of the destination is the variety of experiences you can have especially as you get a mix of the english, french and traditional cuisines which are all very accessible.

Hopefully we will see you back in Vanuatu for your next holiday!

Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Confession time. Having never been to Vanuatu before, I knew next to nothing about the accommodation standards, except for what I read on TA. I made this weekend booking at HI Port Vila solely on the recommendation of fellow TA reviewers. Read on to find out whether I was led astray.

The reason for coming to Port Vila was to visit the National Museum; therefore I had certain standards in mind: the hotel had to be close (as it turns out, most things in Port Vila are very close); it had to be of good standard; it had to be reasonably priced and it had to be on or near the beach.

My booking was for two nights only - Friday 24th to Sunday 26th August. Seeing that my flight from Brisbane got in late Friday, I would have about a day and half before leaving on Sunday afternoon. After a short but slightly hair-raising drive from Bauerfield International Airport to HI by taxi I arrived full of expectation. At that time of night, the capacious lobby was empty but soon a member of staff emerged to check me in. I was actually quite touched and a little surprised that she shook me warmly by the hand to welcome me as a PRC Gold member. I have never gotten such a welcome before at other Holiday Inns and InterContinentals!

I was given two access cards for my second floor room and told that I had a free internet allowance of eight hours which I could collect in the morning (access codes) as soon as the person responsible came to work. As for the wifi, it turned out to be quick and mostly reliable, despite dropping out a few times. That said, its still a perfectly acceptable service for keeping in touch and surfing the web.

I had pre-selected a non-smoking King room with lagoon views. On entering I immediately sensed that - unlike the hotels I've stayed at recently - this was very much a holiday oriented hotel. Normally, the bed is the first thing that catches your eye. But in this case, it was the twin murals of sea turtles painted on the walls. I later find out that this was in tribute to the local art of sand drawing. Very nice. It puts you in a holiday mode completely. The bed itself was your standard HI - which meant that it was comfortable and came with an assortment of pillow types. In the corner was a small sofa; just right for curling up with a cup of tea and a good book. Next to that was a glass top table with menus thoughtfully placed beneath the glass for ease of reference. The TV was a new flatscreen with a small selection of cable channels and Australian commercial channels on offer, as well as a local channel aimed at tourists. The wardrobe space was more than enough and inside was an iron and board for getting those wrinkles out of your Hawaiian shirt.

I was impressed with the bathroom since it appeared to have been refurbished recently. There was no separate shower, instead it was a shower-over-bath setup. Unusually, there were four sets of bath towels, mini towels and face cloths. By my count there were at least twelve pieces of bath linen provided for me. There was no way i would use that many, but it was very thoughtful of housekeeping to keep rooms so well supplied with luxurious linen. The toiletries were standard HI found everywhere. The quality is good, but for extended periods of time I would prefer to use my own, particularly the shampoo and conditioner.

There is a bar fridge, but its empty so you can stock it yourself if you want. As usual, tea and coffee making facilities are provided, with good quality brands being used. Surprisingly, there were no complimentary bottles of water, which was a bit disappointing.

Being in the Pacific, climate control is very important. I found the airconditioning to be whisper quiet and not at all noisy. Unfortunately, as noted by other reviewers internal noise can be a bit of problem as the walls are not insulated enough. Loud noises from the corridor are discernible. Not sure what can be done about this. But short of installing full insulation, perhaps management could impress on guests the need for quiet in the hallways???

Apart from this, I was happy with the room and could find no other fault with it. Indeed, given the totality of this HI, occasional noise is something which I could easily overlook.

My rate included breakfast, which I took at the Verandah Restaurant overlooking Erakor Lagoon. Few things can compare with having a delicious breakfast with such a picturesque view. The spread itself was varied and of excellent quality, catering for different tastes. For me the highlight was the fresh fruit and coconut juice. Apart from the Verandah restaurant, I also took a casual lunch at the lobby bar which has a terrace with a different view of the lagoon. There again, I was impressed with the service and quality of the fare on offer.

Given the short time I had, and the recurring showers, I could not use either of the two pools, although others certainly did and appeared to be having a great time. The main pool is located next to the beach and is well served by a bar and smallish cafe. An excellent place for drinks on the beach. Just before I left on Sunday I did manage to spend a few hours lazing on a deckchair by the lagoon, which was an absolute treat for me. Imagine my surprise when a seaplane landed less than ten metres from me to pick up a guest for a sight seeing tour. This is one experience I will take up on my return.....

Families and active types will find plenty to keep themselves occupied at this HI, ranging from on site activities such as cultural experiences through to beach sports, and snorkelling. Did I mention the golf course on the island in the middle of the lagoon??? For non-active types, its also the perfect place to relax and unwind - this is something I can personally vouch for.

I would rate this HI resort a solid 4* based on what I saw and experienced. Even though I have not mentioned it much up till this point, i would say that the stand out aspect for me had to be the incredible staff. From the charming receptionists, waiters and chefs I encountered through to the friendly housekeepers, all were unfailingly polite, gracious and friendly. I would recommend this hotel for those seeking excellent quality accommodation in Port Vila.

If my report and photos helped in your decision making or if you just enjoyed reading it, then please take the time to click the "Was this review helpful?" button located below. This is the only feedback I receive and I appreciate your acknowledgement.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the third floor. You'll get even better views of Erakor Lagoon unobstructed by...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thomas T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Good Afternoon ExLibris

Thank you for such an extensive review!

I know that a lot of potential travelers will learn a lot from what you have shared.

Look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay in the near future.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I had help from our travel agent ( Vanessa at Victor Harbour Flight Centre), who got in contact with the Holiday Inn and from Taneale Guarrera (hotel manager) to assist me in organizing a surprise proposal. This went off without a hitch, happened the first 15 minutes at the resort. The next 5 days were just fantastic. We stayed in one of the over water villas and that was just sensational, they are absolutely superb and an absolute dream for our visit, on their own island away from the main building and the views and serenity from the back deck was perfect. All the staff at the resort from the managers to the cleaners were always friendly and willing to just smile and say hi. We saw many families there that were also enjoying the atmosphere, from the food to the warm lagoon water, doing plenty of water activities or just lazing in the sun doing nothing. From both of us, to all the staff thank you for an absolute dream visit, and to Taneale for the "icing on the cake".

Room Tip: Contact the hotel direct as they are more than eager to please.
Good Afternoon Steve L

Thank you for the review and sharing such a special event with us.

There has been a lot of discussion in the team about this proposal and how you managed to keep it a secret!

Look forward to welocoming you and the extended family back in Vanuatu soon maybe for a secret wedding......

Barmera, South Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We were very fortunate to have won our trip to vanuatu and our stay at Holiday Inn.
We had the most amazing time, staff were always more than happy to help in any way, food and drinks were fantastic and value for money. The citrus breeze (mocktail) was most refreshing. Our room was great, very comfortable, and fantastic pillows.
We have three children and we are already planning our return trip next year, so that they can experience all that Vanuatu and Holiday Inn have to offer.
Big mention to Frazer from Atmosphere tours, it is people like him that make you want to come back, he made our tours so special and unique, and has provided us with many wonderful memories.
Thankyou to Teneale (Rooms manager), for listening to our suggestions and being so approachable.
Highlights; fruit and vegetable market, makes you realise how hard people work to survive. The fruit is amazing and cheaper than you will get it anywhere.
Eton Village primary school, these children have very little, yet are so happy. Something that our children need to experience, is their way of life. You really dont need material things for happiness. On our return visit next year, paper, pencils and crayons will be gifted to the school to hopefully make it a little easier.
Cascade waterfalls were well worth the effort, just a few steps to negotiate.
Also look into the Mele Bay Express bus, fantastic value at only 1000vatu per person for the day.

Good Afternoon Gilby5

Thank you for your review of 'paradise'.

Some great tips on the Efate in the review including the first bus run that has a timetable....the Mele Express.

Look forward to seeing welcoming you and the family back next year!

Thomas Tait

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu? Share your experiences!