“Amazing Aquana Beach Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Aquana Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 238, Port Vila, Efate, Vanuatu   |
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Port Vila
Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing Aquana Beach Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Well we have just got back from 7 nights at Aquana Beach Resort ( which wasnt long enough!) I travelled with my 2 children 9 and 5 and my 70 year old parents. My children and I have been to Vanuatu once before and stayed at Eratap beach resort which was fantastic. So our expectations were high returning. Wow all our expectations were met and more. Aquana is not far from Eratap but a nice distance from Port Vila. We stayed in a villa not quite on the waterfront which really wasnt a problem because you could still see the water from our front veranda. The villas are great just the right size ( you don't spend much time other than sleeping in them). They are very clean and serviced daily ( even your bed is made everyday!) A little more storage in the bathroom would have been nicer but not a real problem. Also another recommendation for management would be an outside tap near the entrance to the villa or even and outside shower. The sand seemed to always get tracked into the villas, so somewhere to just wash off would be great.
Well now to talk about the food! Marcel you are an amazing chef and we couldn't complain about anything we ate. The seafood was so fresh and delicious.The menu is huge considering the size of the kitchen. Some of the meals were huge so by the end of the stay we would share our dishes between the adults. The kids menu was great too plenty to choose from. We also enjoyed snacks beside the pool - milkshakes, smoothies and popcorn. We just loved the staff and special mention to Valerie, William, and Lily. We loved all of you and sorry have forgotten all there names.
The other amazing thing about Aquana is the Nannies. From the time we arrived our kids were swept away to play games or just play on the sand. These ladies are just lovely and would take my kids out kayaking, coconut boat making, weaving or just plain swimming in the pool. The first day my son just played in the sand and one of the nannies just sat with him and built sand castles. Not once did I worry about where my children were because I knew there would be a nanny with them. It was very sad to leave them behind.
We did a few excursions which Aquana organised one to Eton Beach and Blue Lagoon. We just loved Eton beach and could have stayed all day. One of the staff Anna came with us and set out lunch on a white table cloth and stood and waved away the flies until we had finished. I would highly recommend this trip. We also went on the outrigger to one of the islands. Here we were about to snorkel and saw beautiful fish and bright blue starfish. We just loved this trip. We also went to Mele Waterfalls which were also amazing- and total must on any trip to Port Vila.
I could write forever about Aquana I still feel like I am on a high. My kids absolutely had a ball, even my daughter said she preferred it to Eratap and I think for kids Aquana is better. For my parents first trip to Vanuatu they loved it too and will return. I planning on returning next year and for longer next time.
To finish off thank you to Hugo, Rita, Fabienne, Marcel and Rose. You guys are amazing and make the place magic. We felt like we were part of your family while staying with you. What also got me was you all came out to say goodbye when we were leaving with hugs and kisses. You are very special people and keep up the good work and hopefully see you again next year!!!

Room Tip: Even if you don't get a waterfront Vila it doesnt matter you still get waterviews from the 2nd r...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Charbon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a fantastic 5 night stay at Aquanas recently. It was a perfect chill out time after a hectic week on Tanna. The kids loved the one on one attention they had with the nannies. All of the girls were so lovely with the kids. Great food, cool shows, perfect location, fun tours and awesome staff. Great family run resort for families. Thank you Fabienne and Marcell , it was great to meet you, we hope to come back again another day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our family of four (2 kids aged 3 and 5) stayed at Aquana for 10 days in July. It was the most perfect family holiday we could imagine and we are already planning a return trip. I was nervous that the reviews on here sounded too good but to be true but it is absolutely all true. In fact, it is even better. Everything was wonderful (beautiful setting, lovely clean and spacious villas, great snorkelling not far out of the lagoon) but there are three key things in particular about Aquana that make it so amazing:

1. The food. Wow. I have never had better seafood. The garlic prawns in particular were outstanding. I had them every night. The beef was also amazing. In fact everything was amazing. No dodgy resort buffets here, it is all freshly cooked five star quality cuisine. And the best thing was, if you felt like something not on the menu, Marcel was more than happy to provide it. By the second day Marcel had discovered my love of seafood and so each morning he would seek me out to tell me what had come in from that morning's catch, and ask how I would like it prepared that night. He was also quite happy to alter meals for our children (incidentally, the kids chicken nuggets were the best ever according to my five year old).

2. The service. Being such a small resort, and family run, meant that the owners and staff all felt like friends. Every one of them went out of their way to please us and nothing was ever too much trouble. Marcel's willingness to go out of his way to serve us special meals and Fabienne's help organising our tours and drivers were just the beginning. Every single staff member we encountered was an absolute joy to deal with. We loved getting to know the staff, chatting to them about their lives, hearing their stories. But if you just want to be left in peace to enjoy your holiday then you can do that too. This is the only place I have ever stayed where I felt the urge to hug the staff upon my departure. They really are that wonderful.

3. Last but most certainly not least, the nannies. This is what really sets Aquana apart from other resorts. I was dubious about my daughters being wiling to be looked after by the nannies, but I needn't have worried. By the time I finished checking in on arrival, I turned around and my girls were gone. Over the next ten days we went hours at a time without seeing them, but always knowing they were safe and having an absolute ball. As opposed to a kids club with scheduled activities, the kids can do what they want when they want. The nannies will happily play with them in the pool, build sandcastles on the beach, make boats out of coconuts, go hunting for crabs, play boardgames or do colouring inside, and a million other activities. After every meal the kids would be whisked off to play as soon as they had finished eating while we had some adult time lingering over our food. And I had so much time to read I actually ran out of reading material! But the beauty is that the kids are never far away, if they need you they can always find you, thanks to the small size of the resort. But they rarely did - they loved the nannies so much. Our three year old still asks when we are going back to visit Sophie.

All in all, we couldn't have asked for a better holiday. Vanuatu is a perfect holiday destination and Aquana is the perfect resort at which to enjoy it. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Aquana is a great destination with excellent food and amazing service.

The location is a little out of town, probably 20-25 mins drive, but there are free shuttles to get you into town and being away from the bustle of Vila is actually very pleasant. The resort is right on the water and you can swim and kayak easily and snorkel a kayak away or you can pay for a boat to take you out.

The food is excellent if a little expensive, but you're paying for great food in an amazing location so you can't really compare it 'normal' prices. The seafood in particular is fantastic - the fish curry, lobster and surf and turf were all superb. Excellent cocktails too.

Possibly the best feature though was the service: the staff are wonderfully friendly and genuinely interested in making you feel welcome and making sure you have a great holiday.

Several people had children at the resort but we didn't really notice them. I was slightly afraid before we came that being a 'child-friendly' resort would mean it wo ill be overrun by kids but that wasn't the case.

Overall, a great experience and we'd love to come back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have just come back from Vanuatu, experiencing a fantastic 10 nights at the Aquana Resort.
This is a very kid friendly resort, the roaming nannies were fantastic with our 2 and 6 yo. The way the resort is set up is great. You can have dinner and the nannies will take the kids to the kids corner - you can still see them, (they are not whisked away). Though if you want them to, they will take them out of sight so you can enjoy a peacefull dinner.

The bungalows a clean and serviced every day - towels changed daily!!!!! The only negative we had - there is no bath. Our 2 yo hates showers, so that caused as some issues. Though if your children are happy with showers this wont be an issue.

All staff were amazing, restaurant, bar, cleaning, reception and of course the nannies.

Reception staff are more than happy to book tours for you. They helped us get across to Tanna Island to see the active volcano - which was amazing, a must see if you have the time.

The weather was perfect, rained once, - still nice and warm..

Perfect destination for a family, relaxing holiday. If you want to kick back by the pool/beach have a cocktail and let the kids play, this is the resort for just that.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Many thanks to all at Aquana for looking after us so well on our trip to Vanuatu. We were fortunate to spend a week there with our young daughter and left feeling very relaxed and satisfied with our stay.

Pros:
- The bungalows are very clean, serviced each day and set in well kept gardens.
- All staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the patient nannies who were very attentive and showed genuine affection to all the children present. Our daughter referred to them as 'her friends'. Service was very professional and nothing was too much trouble.
- Wonderful meals in the restaurant at breakfast, lunch and dinner. We didn't want to eat anywhere else.
- Helpful with organizing any tours around the island and offering transfers to pick us up whenever it suited us. A hotel phone was also given to us in case we wanted to return earlier. Nannies also provided on trips for those with children. Would recommend the trip to Eton beach and the Blue lagoon trip to those with kids. A delicious barbecue lunch was provided for us also.
- Entertainment for the evenings was great and got everyone involved. Our daughter loved the fire dancing show.
- Excellent canoeing around the island. We saw all kinds of sea life amongst the coral and you can find your own private beach to stop off for a while.

Cons:
- We found none!

Highly recommended. Thanks again Aquana. We hope to return soon!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Grafton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed five nights at Aquana Resort and I really cannot recommend it highly enough, especially for families with young children. I don’t normally fill in surveys or reviews but I felt that it was really important to write this review because in the past I have relied upon the excellent advice of others on Trip Advisor in finding the right holiday for my family and I want to pay it forward to others considering travelling to Vanuatu. We actually stayed at two resorts to break it up a bit over our two week stay and they were both absolutely wonderful in their own right. This review is focused on Aquana Resort and I have done a separate review for Paradise Cove Resort also. I would definitely recommend doing your research before you decide what type of resort suits you, depending on whether you are a solo traveller, couple or family.

The minute that we arrived at Aquana Resort, we felt like we were instantly made welcome by Fabienne and her highly professional staff. Before we knew it, our three year old daughter Amelia was whisked away to the play area by lovely nannies, who made her feel comfortable and settled in straight away. The resort has a number of dedicated staff that are there to specifically look after the children and these particular staff (whom truly are angels!) are what made our holiday not just good but great! At home we don’t have family living close by, so we have never had a babysitter for our daughter. Staying at Aquana enabled my partner and I to reconnect as a couple, which in the hustle and bustle of daily life at home is sometimes difficult. Amelia was able to choose whether to spend time with us or with the carers and other children but she simply had so much fun that she chose to spend a lot of the time away from her parents…we were too boring! The facilities and activities for children is great, especially for the 1-5 age group. Kids can do arts and crafts, play in the toy corner or playground, feed the fish in the lagoon, skip rope or play in the pool to mention just a few activities. The children were free to roam the grounds and were always closely followed by a nanny to make sure that they were safe particularly around water. It was like my daughter had a personal body guard following her around at all times! The bungalows themselves are perfect and comfortable too, furnished to a very modern and contemporary style. The owners have done a magnificent job with the place and it is still evolving. All of the food is also delicious and the resort has a very comprehensive menu. Will at the cafe area also makes excellent coffee, thank you Will! If you want to try something different for lunch or dinner, you can either paddle a canoe to Eratap Resort around the corner (takes about 15 minutes on high tide) or catch a bus. Be aware that Eratap is a child free resort most times of the year though, so littlies will have to stay behind at Aquana Resort. For peace of mind, we arranged to have a personal nanny assigned to our daughter for a very small fee for a few hours. We paddled to Eratap which opens up to the ocean and spent an hour doing some excellent snorkelling before having a bit of a 'fancy' lunch on the water front and it was just lovely. In summary Aquana Resort has cornered a very good niche market in the way that they cater so well for kids and adults alike. It is in fact so well set up that we are considering getting married there in the not too distant future! Thank you so much to Fabienne, Marc and all your lovely staff, your service is fantastic! We will be back again… definitely and hopefully soon!

*Some general notes and advice regardless of where you stay in Vanuatu: Bring reef shoes (although several resorts will have these on lend including mask, snorkel and flippers), insect repellent (we went in July/August but there are always things that will bite you), also bring immodium or similar. We stayed at a couple of resorts and found the tap water in most places okay but we still managed to get travellers’ diahorrea most likely from a day trip that we did with the Cooloongoola sailing/snorkelling trip. The trip itself was excellent but the food that was transported onto the ship sweated away under cling wrap for a few hours and I am fairly certain that is where we got it from. Also check where the water in ice cubes has been sourced for happy hour drinks…! Proper hygiene is essential, so take some hand sanitiser with you and apply liberally when out and about. Vanuatu is a third world country and if like me, you don’t have an iron gut, there is a moderate risk that you could contract a bit of a tummy bug depending on which time of year you travel, although it is nothing like Bali Belly…Common sense applies. We regularly take probiotic tablets and they are great for gut flora and tend to shorten any sort of illness that you might get.

Room Tip: Any of the waterfront bungalows are great, we were in room six but all are within 40 metres of the w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Aquana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!