“Surprising, lovely fresh fish” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Gold Coast
“Surprising, lovely fresh fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We have been to Port Vila many times but never visited this reasonably priced restaurant. We quite like Japanese food but they had fresh tuna on the menu so we ordered the tuna steaks, grilled and they were definitely fresh and delicious. We dined at lunch time and arrived about 1.00pm and they closed at 1.30pm so we felt a bit rushed but I would recommend to try this restaurant as it had a very extensive menu. It looks a little run down but what we ate was very good.

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Blue Mountains
“Great Harbour views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

We had lunch here and the views are great. The food was very good and reasonably priced - we had the Bento boxes which were lovely. It was a nice option for eating at with children too, as our kids had basic cucumber sushi, rice, salad, miso, etc which was a welcome break from the typical holiday "kids menu" of fried chips. The restaurant itself is a little daggy, but the views more than compensate for this.

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
South Australia
“Great Authentic Japanese Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

We ate at the Kanpai in 2008, and returned again in 2010. The food has definately improved and has become more authentic. The service was great, and the food was fabulous. We will definately return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch
“Over rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

This restaurant was recommended to me by two locals as providing excellent Japanese food. Unless you are a local or a regular, forget it. They treat you like a second rate citizen. I was so looking forward to this experience because I'm a fan of Japanese food but the service, ambience and food were all very disappointing and over priced. My advice. Don't bother.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Much better than I expected - genuine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

My family & I ate at Kanpai and were pleasantly surprised. My brother is obsessed with Japanese food and is quite the snob. He ordered the some thinly sliced pork thing (sorry, no idea) and Nigiri sushi dinner set (about 3 courses in itself) and green tea ice cream and ate the entire thing - it was huge. I haven't ever seen him eat more than half of any meal, he's a fussy bird eater so this spoke for itself. We had tempura veges - light batter, nice flavours. Miso soup had the spongy doughnut shaped tofy things in it, which was a little disappointing. Partner had ramen with pork - he was happy with it. I ate Oyakodon, which was nice but I will order the sushi next time, it was really great. They stuffed up my order initially (similar sounding names (Yaki Udon and Oyakadon), but when the mistake was discovered, it was sorted out immediately, with no fuss. We also ate Gyoza - nice, homemade, good flavours and chicken wings with lemon which had great flavours. Nothing was overwhelmingly good but it seemed genuine (I saw and heard Japanese people in the kitchen and bar) and no one got sick afterwards, which was my concern with raw fish on a tropical island. We all had at least 3 dishes and it was very reasonably priced, i don't think over $30 per head including a couple of drinks. Service was very very good, the staff were falling over themselves to help us and the hill position means there is a great view (long distance) of the harbour and 'night lights' of Port Vila. Has an outdoor pool which guests can swim in (!) and the outdoor area is lovely and open (but covered for rain) It is the standard and quality (maybe better) you would expect of a Japanese restaurant in an Australian city. Nothing fancy, but probably the best Japanese food in Vanuatu.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere