“Relaxation here I come” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Starfish Cove

Save Saved
You added Starfish Cove to your Saves list
Starfish Cove
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Teouma Road, Emten Lagoon | 2nd Lagoon, Port Vila, Efate, Vanuatu   |
Perth
“Relaxation here I come”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We came to Vanuatu for a 10 day stay and stayed at a resort down the road from the Star fish cove for 7 of those, if we knew what the starfish was like we would have done it differantly, the Starfish is very modern and well presented, very nice place to have to yourself with executive style apartments, not suitable for family living. Restaurant and bar fantastic, staff very friendly and helpful, food very nice and service in restaurant exceptional.
I would say that if you want a resort style holiday with sandy beaches and activities don't stay hear, but if you want to get away for a quiet time, this would be perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This isn't a scenic, activity-filled resort... Don't expect too much beachy charm! That said, the value was good and we would be happy to return.

Basically, the accomodation is very modern self-catering units. The style wouldn't be out of place in a serviced appartment in Sydney CBD, except that it is right on the lagoon with lovely views from the balcony... The restaurant and bar are large and run separately, so it doesn't really have a 'resort' feel, more hotel. I got the feeling it catered to business travelers also. The pool is small but nice enough, though perhaps lacks shade. You can swim and kayak in the lagoon but we didn't see anyone do it. It is on a slightly busy road but the building design means the bedroom is well insulated and we couldn't hear cars at night. The plus side of this is that it was very easy to find a bus to go into town (5-10 minutes, 150 vatu).

For us, this was a great choice after staying at two scenic resorts for 9 nights... We liked being able to cook for ourselves and getting into town and to other activities was easy. However, if we were only staying in one place we personally would opt for more local charm and less modern extras. We don't need tv etc on hols, but if you do, this is the place for you!

In terms of service, most staff were fantastic, one a little less helpful. Fine overall.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I have recently returned home from my 5 night stay at Starfish Cove which I chose due to the great living social voucher and reviews on Tripadvisor. Whilst there was nothing wrong with the hotel itself it was not really for us. There was virtually nothing to do at the resort bar a small pool, bar and some kayaks, which our daughter did enjoy. Being right on the water of a lagoon also meant there was no beach, which we would have liked although this is typical of Vanuatu. It was also on a busy road which meant we had to watch our daughter like a hawk.
The good:
- Amazing view on serenity over the water from the balcony, can jump right in from the balcony
- Nice big, clean rooms
- Beautiful views from the restaurant
- Friendly staff

The bad:
- Road was quite busy, although this made it easy to hail a bus to town
- Nothing to do for small children
- No beach
- Very ordinary shower pressure

All in all it's a nice hotel but just didn't suit my family.

• Stayed September 2012
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The good …
- Beautiful, spacious, clean rooms
- Friendly and helpful staff (especially in the bar and restaurant)
- Delicious restaurant for dinner, basic breakfasts
- Amazing views from your private balcony
- Baby cot was very well kept (looked new actually)
- Easy access to the town via public buses
- Small resort, so not too noisy or over crowded

The bad …
- Travel desk basically non-existent. Even asking the front desk to book a restaurant was like pulling teeth. If you asked for a recommendation on a tour or a restaurant, you were given a brochure and no local input or knowledge
- It is a little way out of town and you can’t walk anywhere, but the buses are very easy, cheap and frequent
- The pool is simply that, just a pool. There was no shade, and the furniture was very basic and in need of repair and a few cushions
- WiFi only available in the restaurant/bar, reception area, and in half of the resort. Our room didn’t receive internet.
- The hotel didn't have a spa (but I didn't know they did, I never saw this advertised before traveling)

All in all, my husband and I (and our 7 month old baby) had a very enjoyable stay at Starfish Cove.

Room Tip: We requested a room away from the bar and restaurant to minimise noise. Wasn't necessary during...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The only reason I am taking the time to write this review, is because we chose this resort because of all the good reviews.

1) 3 out of 5 days I had either a cold shower or a warm enough to be able stay in long enough to wash my hair. The other times is was beautiful and hot. The first morning, the manager said the hot water system tripped, second morning the manager said that it hadnt tripped and to run the water for 5 mins and it should warm up ???? The 3rd day it tripped again. This to me isnt satifactory.

2) The restaurant, bar and beauty spa was closed. We were told that it was managed by a different company. Fair enough, these things happen. The breakfast was included with the accommodation, it was horrible. The positive was we went out for breakfast, lunch & dinner.

3) Dont get me wrong, Im not in Vanuatu to sit on the internet. But it was I how I communicated with my kids back home. We had to hang over the balcony to receive 1 bar of WIFI, the last 2 days there wasnt any WIFI.

4) I really missed the service and smiles you would expect when coming to Vanuatu. The manager should have contacted guests and advised them of changes and offered an alternative.

5) The pool furniture needs to be updated. I dont find this resort to be relaxing, the lagoon isnt an ideal swimming spot. The restaurant threw out all the old toast to feed the fish, villages backed onto the lagoon too, I found there to be a lot of rubbish around. The manage had workers pressure washing outside our room the first 2 days until the sun came down, poor managment again.

6) The resort is located out of Port Vila, however the area isnt the best. Its in the middle of no where. We had a car, I would personally stay on the beach somewhere, it would be worth the extra $$$.

The rooms are well sized and furnished nicely, they are serviced daily which is nice.

I wouldnt stay here again and I wouldnt recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Although out of town this is an exceptional venue. It is quite new and has many added features such as free WiFi , washer/dryer, well equipped self contained kitchen diner etc. The bed is comfortable and the unit well designed. If we return to Port Vila we will stay at Starfish.

Room Tip: Stay away from the restaurant if you intend staying on a Friday. Otherwise most rooms are well posit...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We arrived at 1am to the most amazing view from our balcony. The room certainly over delivered and even had a washing machine/dryer which was really handy.

Staff were great and of special note was the restaurant and bar both were great especially the food in the restaurant, truly world class.

It's about 10 minutes from Vila (150VTU AUD1.50 per person) and having seen the other hotels in the town I felt that our decision to select Starfish was certainly justified and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to a friend.

The lagoon is also great, I had a few swims, snorkels and the skis are available to paddle around which is lovely.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Starfish Cove? Share your experiences!