My wife and I stayed at Tara Beach for 11 days- and could have stayed on for more ! Thanks to Trip Advisor contributors, we knew what to expect and were very happy with the stay. Two things stood out - its location and staff. We wanted to have a "do nothing" holiday and completely veg out, and Tara Beach was perfect for us. Spent the days swimming, having drinks outside the bungalow, playing golf, reading, and had meals at the restaurant. We also popped in to Port Villa using its shuttle bus (which sometimes felt like our own chauffer service - anytime we needed to be taken anywhere, we simply rang Ivo (our friendly driver) and he picked us up by the time we finished our Tusker). We found this heaps better and less expensive than taking a taxi or renting a car.So bring a phone with you.
Interestingly, Tara Beach welcomed tours from 5 star resorts and curise ships, where those guests paid to snorkel, swim and kayak ! Being guests at the hotel, we already had those privilleges - everyday !!
The room was fine, clean, spacious and safe. Our laundry was done by the husekeepers and returned the same day. The staff were very friendly and helpful - we chose not to do any tours - but I'm sure they would have helped out as well. Mychele, the new manager (Kiwi, but accident prone :) was excellent to deal with and very helpful. Made us feel at ease and relaxed.Everything was a breeze. The restaurant was fine and our standout dish was the poulet fish. The prices were fine - everything in PV is pretty expensive and the prices at the restaurant were competitive by PV standards.Unfortunately the restaurant was closed for a few days as there was a death in the family, Ken, a world class international footballer, and even though everyone was effected by this, all the staff pressed on. Credit to Ivo who, unbeknown to us at the time, drove us around at the time of Ken's funeral which he should have attended.
Port Villa itself was a bit grungy, but we saw Tara Beach as a sanctuary. It is naturally beautiful and unlike the sanitised 5 star resorts. There will be little things that people may not like, and in the interests of being objective, out toilet was a bit tempremental (but was fixed), the kettle needs to be replaced, and the sheets had minor stains. These were miniscule from our perspective as our entire experience was wonderful. We think that if you are flexible, adaptable and happy to go with the flow, Tara will be perfect. Its great for families and couples alike. On the other hand, if one is demanding, impatient and has high expectations, then go to a 5/6 star resort.
We brought cash to pay the bill on the last day.
Thanks to Sala (Elvis reincarnated), Lulu, Kalo, Mychele, Ivo, Fred (next president!), chef and the staff - it was a fantastic stay. Will we stay at Tara when we return to Vanuatau - an absolute YES !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tara Beach is absolute beach front situated on 12 lush acres fronting picturesque Mele Bay, Efate, Vanuatu. With crystal clear, safe waters at your doorstep, we are the perfect spot for snorkeling, kayaking, swimming and getting away from it all for a while. We also have a chilled out open air bar / cafe known as the Beach Hut that is also open to day visitors and locals. Located about 15 mins from town & 10 mins to the airport, we provide free airport transfers for guests. All bungalows have tea and coffee making facilities and a fridge, with ocean views a few metres from your door included as standard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com and HostelBookers so you can book your Tara Beach Bungalows reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tara Beach Bungalows Hotel Port Vila
- Tara Beach Hotel
- Tara Beach Port Vila
- Tara Beach Bungalows Vanuatu/Port Vila