“Wasn't outstanding but it was ok” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
work
“Wasn't outstanding but it was ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

The food was good but nothing to rave about especially considering the price and small serving sizes. I did enjoy my meal but it just wasn't one of standout meals I had while in Vanuatu. In saying that my partner did rave about her chocolate cup desert.

Atmosphere was nice, quiet and romantic although a little dark. Service was good but again nothing I would rave about.

Two things that did annoy me,not really anyones fault it did contribute to my overall opinion of the place: First and this is simply a case of were we stayed it was across the other side of town so for people staying near the casscades it was a bit of a hassle to get to and from, well not a hassle but inconveinent. Secondly they WILL NOT call buses to come and pick you up. They claim they have no numbers and that you can only use the taxi's. This really annoyed me, luckly we managed to call out resort and they arranged for someone to pick us up but the damage had already been done.

Would I reccomend this place? Probably not, I would prefer to reccomend one of the places I had an excellent meal and exoerience at. On the other hand If they were out of options and were close to town (not out near hideaway/cascades) I would say give it a try but dont expect anything fantastic.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Victoria
“Has potential but did not quite deliver”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

We visited Wild Ginger towards the end of our Vanuatu trip in early October. I was interested to see what Asian fusion might be like with the excellent quality of produce available in Vanuatu.

Le Lagon is a family resort - heaps of families, i.e. crying kids. Not exactly great for atmosphere.

We arrived to the resort early so we ordered a couple of cocktails at the lobby bar. It took 30 mins for the bartender to make the two! Service could improve in this area. As the lobby bar was full of families, we took our drinks down to the pool bar. Again the bar was full of 10 year old kids!

The restaurant is hidden behind the buffet bar. Can be a little hard to find - just ask for directions.

The restaurant itself is tastefully decorated with an aquarium in the front entry. It can get quite hot if they seat you near the kitchen. Simply request to be moved to an open window area.

The service was ok, the waiter kept pushing for us to have the complimentary miso soup, but in the end he did not even bring it! We didn't really want it anyway so we didn't care much.

For entree we ordered:
Salmon tartare which was very fresh salmon but was a little bland - could have done with more flavouring or wasabi served on the side.
Thai fishcake - fairly uneventful and unmemorable. I expected something that was crispy but instead got a thick damp fishcake which was incredibly salty (hey at least it balanced out the salmon tartare!)

For our mains:
My friend ordered the pad thai which came out looking more like Singaporean noodles! Used thin rice vermicelli rather than the flat noodle. Was incredibly spicy. Presented well but was not really all that spectacular.
I ordered the Santo beef and kumala mash with some fancy fried bread thing on top which really wasn't necessary. The kumala mash was the star of the meal which is unfortunate as Santo beef is incredibly good. I asked for the beef to be medium rare but it arrived medium. I needed to request extra sauce for the dish as it seemed a little dry.

While I went to the bathroom (which is an incredibly long walk from the restaurant), my friend encountered a massive berko - a woman had been waiting to be served for over an hour and was not happy. Her baby was crying and she was screaming at the staff and threw a glass at the floor. I could hear the baby crying on my return but by the time I got there, the action was over.

Positives: The security staff were incredibly friendly and keen to chat over a cigarette.

All in all, this restaurant does have potential but I will probably not visit this restaurant again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Australia
“A pleasant change from Le legon buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

We had the meal deal at Le Lagon and on three occasions upgraded and paid the extra to have a meal at wild Ginger. The food here was delicious and much better that the Buffet meals ..
The coconut tempura prawns and the seafood cakes for entree are delicious.
We both had steak on the first night (was a bit overcooked for my liking)
The second time we ate here Had Teppura prawns again and a salmon dish and a chicken dish both were very nice.
The last meal we had was the tepinyaki but I preferred the a la carte menu. Found the steak was a bit chewy at the tepinyaki bar.
Definately a better option than the Buffet.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greater Brisbane, Australia
“Delicious, World class chief”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

Well we decided to go with the reviews on Trip adviser and try the Wild Ginger for an evening. It was thoroughly enjoyable, great service, ambience everything you would expect for a 5 star restaurant. We sat on the deck and ordered from the menu, we where given a complimentry soup and had the whole works entree, main and desert with a bottle or two of Australian wine.
I honestly can't fault any of the meals we tried, it was all cooked to perfection and I'd highly recommend the local steak as the flavour is awesome rich and tender. Desert was delectable... Yummy berries and rich chocolate mouse with chantilly cream. Hubby had a citrus sorbet dribbled with midori which he really enjoyed.
The entrees were small as expected but the beer battered coconut crusted prawns tasted like they were caught that day! The salt and pepper calamari came in rings so was a little chewy but calamari is so hard to cook to perfection. The flavour was very nice though.

This restaurant is Highly recommended by us if you love good food and great service.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wollongong
“Great sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

If you love sushi and teppanyaki you will love Wild Ginger. Whilst sitting at the teppanyaki bar you can watch the sushi being made which seemed more like an artform than food preparation. We ordered two sushi rolls which I have to say are the best I have ever had (and I eat a lot of sushi). We tried beef, lamb and seafood teppanyaki. The beef and lamb were extremely tender and delicious. The seafood was fresh and and the prawns were fabulous. The total bill was about $A60.00 per head including champagne which for the quality of food was reasonable. The sushi was a bit pricey compared to Australia but it was well worth it. The restaurant had a great atmospher and the service was excellent. If we had more time we would have returned to Wild Ginger.